Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

If it's Chili, it's personal
Old 02-16-2014, 05:44 AM   #1
Administrator

If it's Chili, it's personal

Chili is one of my favorite dishes, and though I now eat it infrequently, reading about it, especially the range of ingredients and recipes around the country, is still interesting. Before coming to this forum I had no idea there were so many regional varieties or cultural views. This article on chili is in this morning's NYT http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/di...ef=dining&_r=0

Quote:
Chili tastes are highly personal, often inflexible and loaded with preconceptions — the political party of culinary offerings.

For some people raised in Texas, the notion of beans is akin to cat food, dismissed with derision as filler. Some chili cooks believe flavor rises and falls on cumin levels; others say the story begins and ends with dried chiles. Some like a rich beefy stock, and there are those who extol the entanglement of bacon.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 06:19 AM   #2

Quote:
— the political party of culinary offerings.
Porky on standby.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Yes, chili is very personal in these parts - no beans about it.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is an interesting subject, sorta like regional BBQ styles. With chili we don't care if there are beans or not, and we make white chili with chicken that we think is wonderful - but we draw the line at vegetarian chili. Nothing at all against vegetarian, but it ain't chili - no way, no how. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am not a huge meat eater. I need to make sure never to order chili, where it is basically a big old bowl of meat. I don't think I could get it down. I need tomatoes and beans along with the ground meat! I also like a piece of bread with butter to chunk up in it. We used to put it over mashed potatoes in the past. I have not had it that way in a long time and think I will make it that way soon!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #6
Administrator

My guess is among Texas chili cooks or judges there are lots of professionals but not many are bean counters.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:44 AM   #7

We found this chili recipe in Texas Monthly magazine...it's got a lot going on but it's well worth the effort..best we've ever made.. like most Texas chili, not a bean in sight...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MELBAS CHILI RECIPE 1.jpg (786.7 KB, 40 views)
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Agreed. I like mine thick with few if any beans. DW likes hers soupy with lots of beans. I'm right...but both versions taste good. We take turns making Chili because of our different approaches.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:02 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a pretty constant household war. I love the beans, my boyfriend despises them. We stuck to tacquerias last time we were in Texas. Maybe next time we'll swing by a beanless chili joint.
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #10
gone traveling

I find it interesting that some folks will proclaim that " REAL chili doesn't have ...."

Chili is exactly what I say it is. Same for you !
Mr. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Never had Cincinnati chille, doesn't sound right, but I'd try it. I've been cutting down the beans too. DW and I have different taste preferences. I think the next batch will have a bunch of pork neck bones added to it. The best chille meat, IMHO, is venison.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I w*rked with a competition chili cook, who won at Terlingua back in the 80s. And, risking the wrath of the chili gods, competition chili was a bit too spicy for me. Definitely "flavorful", though.

I came from the Midwest, where we made a version of Cincinnati chili, but without the sweetness. Chili aficionaos would undoubtedly barf at the thought...

I use beans, tomatoes, onions, and mild as well as hotter peppers, along with the dried chile powder and cumin, and ground beef. Let's call it "chili stew".

It wins the only competition about which I care I care about!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've had Cincinnati style chili at Skyline and better places. If they have to doctor up their chili with other stuff (3-way, 5-way, 7-way), the chili must not be that good. What are they hiding?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (85.1 KB, 11 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I w*rked with a competition chili cook, who won at Terlingua back in the 80s. And, risking the wrath of the chili gods, competition chili was a bit to spicy for me. Definitely "flavorful", though.

I came from the Midwest, where we made a version of Cincinnati chili, but without the sweetness. Chili aficionaos would undoubtedly barf at the thought...

I use beans, tomatoes, onions, and mild as well as hotter peppers, along with the dried chile powder and cumin, and ground beef. Let's call it "chili stew".

It wins the only competition about which I care I care about!
Mine is similar, but with grape jelly
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

When I was in college, I lived with three guys and on the weekends we'd have hottest food contests. Make something, watch each other sweat, and drink beer.

I received a recipe from Austin called "Texas Red And A Long Neck" (that's Lone Star Beer) plus a package of "H*ll In A Bottle".

I'll post the recipe when I find it.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I don't even LIKE chili. But, of course ate it all the time when at A&M.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I look at regional 'Chili wars' the same I look at deep-dish versus thin crust, they're just different. Each person can have their own preference. Texas Chili w/o beans is good, people from there probably prefer that style. (*)

I can enjoy chili of all types, I enjoy the variety. DW makes a great chicken & white bean chili, but that is a very, very different dish from a beef-meaty chili w/o beans. They are both great in their own way. I'm even open to a good veggie chili, if there is such a thing, I may have had one I can't recall.

Same with the different BBQ styles - enjoy them for what they are. They are all good, sugar, tomato, vinegar, whatever - I'm almost glad I was not raised with a regional preference, that would be too limiting.

(*) just proving I know how to use they're, their, there - from that other thread

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
We found this chili recipe in Texas Monthly magazine...it's got a lot going on but it's well worth the effort..best we've ever made.. like most Texas chili, not a bean in sight...
Here's the link to the article and the recipe:

Chili | Texas Monthly

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #19

The best chili I have ever eaten was made with venison (by a co-worker whose husband is a hunter).

I concoct (sans recipe) more of a chili stew: extra lean ground beef, beans (must have beans), Penzey's medium chili powder, onion, green pepper, can of Rotel tomatoes, a squirt of ketchup for a little sweet taste, half a bottle of beer, and lots of diced garlic. The other half bottle of beer can be consumed as an aperitif while chili simmers.

I have tried Cincinnati chili and I like it. I have known Texans from my husband's Army days who were absolutely aghast (dare I say even revolted) at the thought of beans or pasta mentioned in the same breath as chili.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Chili is by far one of my favorite dishes to make. I put everything in there with beef from sweet corn, peppers, onions, beans, chickpeas, tomatoes and lots of spices... and maybe some chocolate.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote