Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Contrary to the numerous opinions on the internet... According to the GE engineer in charge of dishwasher design (a woman BTW) the best way to load to the cutlery rack is not with all of the fork or spoons point up and the knifes point down or vice versa. Instead the best way to load the cutlery is RANDOMLY, mixing spoon, forks and knifes together some pointed up some pointed down.
I don't have a dishwasher, but when I did the kinves always pointed down, and the other cutlery pointed up. Contrary to your engineer frined, this makes very good sense for anyone who 1) keeps her knives sharp, and 2) doesn't like cuts and puncture wounds on her fingers.
Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I don't have a dishwasher, but when I did the kinves always pointed down, and the other cutlery pointed up. Contrary to your engineer frined, this makes very good sense for anyone who 1) keeps her knives sharp, and 2) doesn't like cuts and puncture wounds on her fingers.
Ha
The cutlery rack in my dishwasher is in the door, and when the door is open (horizontal) I can lift the cutlery rack side/top and pick up by handles a bunch of knives that were washed point up.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:56 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While I embrace chinaco, Gumby, and mathjak's answers.. It's not a matter of willingness or sloth. It's literally not figuring out how to fit things in the most optimal way. It can take either the form of wacky overcrowding where stuff is completely blocked.. or saying "I can't fit this" and in 2 seconds I come over and make it fit.

Also with the fridge: there is "no room!" for a large platter until I come over and "make" room.

However, he is better at navigating while driving. But give him three things to put in the d/w and they will all end up in various nonsensical orientations.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
While I embrace chinaco, Gumby, and mathjak's answers.. It's not a matter of willingness or sloth. It's literally not figuring out how to fit things in the most optimal way. It can take either the form of wacky overcrowding where stuff is completely blocked.. or saying "I can't fit this" and in 2 seconds I come over and make it fit.

Also with the fridge: there is "no room!" for a large platter until I come over and "make" room.
Well some of us are not blessed with your abilities in life Keep up the good work.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #25

notmuchlonger, thanks for the "compliment".. see my original post. I really am curious about this phenomenon which I've always noticed in just about every male I have ever met.

plus I was just trying to lighten up a bit.. take a break from Bear Stearns and the plunging dollar, ya know?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #26

Quote:
notmuchlonger, thanks for the "compliment".. see my original post. I really am curious about this phenomenon which I've always noticed in just about every male I have ever met.

plus I was just trying to lighten up a bit.. take a break from Bear Stearns and the plunging dollar, ya know?
Actually what you said was funny. I was trying to make light of it too. I also cant find room in the fridge when my wife can do it in a second.. Anyways Ill move along now.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #27

Socio-biologists tell us that among the hunter-gatherers, men and women really did do different things. The women were picking the small wild berries, or peeling the hulls off seeds, and visiting with one another while doing it. Men were hunting antelope across the open plains, trying to co-ordinate their movements so they'd end up with at least one carcass to carry home.

Modern psychologists have done studies that show women see details that men miss. OTOH, if you put a man in a new area, he'll build a mental map of the terrain (roads) so he can find his way around - probably the type of "spatial skills" we brag about.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #28

If women are so independent today, why can't they kill their own bugs, open their own stuck jars, mow their own lawns or pump their own gas?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:33 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
If women are so independent today, why can't they kill their own bugs, open their own stuck jars, mow their own lawns or pump their own gas?
They can and do all these things and more, when they don't have a man around.

If they did them while we were present, we would feel even more rejected and marginal than we already do.

A good freind of mine, very cute, very smart, in spite of wanting to get married was single for 20 years.

Finally she lost her Swiss Army Knife and was engaged before 10 months passed.

Ten years later she is still happily married. (And still letting her big strong man be Mr. Fix-It.)

Ha
Old 03-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I run things around the house and that includes the vacuum cleaner, the lawn mower AND the dishwasher.

DW can't seem to realize that the racks are arranged with different spacings to allow one to optimize the loading. I just wait till she isn't looking and rearrange the stuff.

She has managed to take back the washing machine, but I sneak in loads of easy stuff like towels while she is at work. Shhhhh.....
Old 03-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It can take either the form of wacky overcrowding where stuff is completely blocked.. or saying "I can't fit this" and in 2 seconds I come over and make it fit.

I'm like that too. I think it can be translated into "I don't want to bother with this thing."
Old 03-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #32

sorry notmuchlonger.. I guess there is good sarcasm and bad sarcasm and I took it the wrong way, I guess.

Bugs I kill when I "have" to; otherwise it's catch and release.
Gas I'm not a fan of because it's often grimy and the pump handle is made for big hands.
Mowing lawn is ok. Starter is hard.
For jars I have a Good Grips opener or I use the hot water trick.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
.. or saying "I can't fit this" and in 2 seconds I come over and make it fit.
I use a little twist on the above: "the dishwasher's full ... these dishes will have to wait". DW rushes over to show how many more dishes she can load ... while I retreat to my paper or the TV ...DW wins again ...!!

t.r.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRuh View Post
I use a little twist on the above: "the dishwasher's full ... these dishes will have to wait". DW rushes over to show how many more dishes she can load ... while I retreat to my paper or the TV ...DW wins again ...!!

t.r.
That is good. I may have to add that to the arsenal.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Ha
Yes it is obvious you don't have a dishwasher . Because you aren't suppose to wash kitchen knives in a dishwasher because it dulls them. The only thing knives I wash in a dishwasher are flatware, and very rarely steak knives pretty hard to get cut with them.

I don't know the GE engineer just heard on a show like myth busters.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #36

Quote:

Well, allow me to be the outlier in your sample data (although, now that I think of it, oddly enough I usually was the outlier in the various studies I signed up for in college.... ).

It all depends on your personality trait (IMO). I'm an economist(maximizer/minimizer) and organizer at heart, and know exactly what you mean when people stack three bowls overhanging each other (There's NO way in hell those bowls are going to get clean! Who are they kidding?) or when people put 10 forks into one cutlery compartment, and put two (very) sharp knives standing up in the next one all by themselves.

Sigh.....what makes it worse is that I'm the one with the eyesight that always is the only one to see the various food particles left on the plates/silverware when an allegedly "clean" item is taken from the drawer or cabinet.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Contrary to the numerous opinions on the internet... According to the GE engineer in charge of dishwasher design (a woman BTW) . . .
The most surprising thing to me, after reading appliance fora remarks about GE dishwashers, is that anyone would admit to being the GE engineer in charge of dishwasher design.

In fairness, we're in the market for a dishwasher now, and there just aren't any brands that are really put together well. (BTW, thanks to al who participated in Nords' earlier DW thread). Now, washing machines are a different matter--have I told you guys about my Staber? . . .
Old 03-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
What if the woman involved is also incompetent at domestic labor?
Quote:
A friend of ours, single parent of three, hasn't used their dishwasher in seven years. The most-used appliance in their kitchen is the disposal.

Anyone care to guess the gender?

Quote:
Because you aren't suppose to wash kitchen knives in a dishwasher because it dulls them. The only thing knives I wash in a dishwasher are flatware, and very rarely steak knives pretty hard to get cut with them.
I've never understood this one.

We have a set of steak knives (a wedding present over two decades ago) and a serrated 9" knife that I grew up with and liberated from my mother's kitchen in the early 1980s. They've been in the dishwasher probably thousands of times by now, never been sharpened, and still do what they need to do.

If they ever stopped cutting steak (or papaya or tomatoes) then I'd just go buy a new batch.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:46 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
A friend of ours, single parent of three, hasn't used their dishwasher in seven years. The most-used appliance in their kitchen is the disposal.

Anyone care to guess the gender?

I've never understood this one.

We have a set of steak knives (a wedding present over two decades ago) and a serrated 9" knife that I grew up with and liberated from my mother's kitchen in the early 1980s. They've been in the dishwasher probably thousands of times by now, never been sharpened, and still do what they need to do.
Female. BTW, I read in a "green" advertising mag that it is actually more energy and water efficient to use a newer dishwasher than to wash by hands. (not sure if I believe)

Quote:
Q. Does putting expensive professional-quality knives in the dishwasher ruin the edge on the blade? I just bought a couple very expensive, professional-quality knives with supposedly dishwasher-safe handles, but I worry about affecting their cutting ability.
A. Right you are. The handles of virtually all top-quality knives these days are dishwasher safe. Thatís where the good news ends. Actually, the blades of most good knives are also impervious to water damage, but the manufacturers are concerned about the edge of the blade rattling around in the dishwasher, being whooshed into the other dishes or even just bumping against the rack, any of which can dull the blade. So they universally recommend hand washing and babying your knives.
I once took a basic knife skills class. The professional chef said this and I later asked if this was true or just an urban myth, he said that he noticed that knives in a dishwasher lose there edge quicker. So I hand wash mine. Serrated edges are different they work fine in a dishwasher.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #40

The studies about d/w being more energy-efficient than hand washing are put out by the d/w manufacturers. That said, with some modern d/w using as little as 14 liters.. I think most people would use much more water than that. Not sure how much the electricity would offset the cost of heating the extra water used in hand washing.

We used to have an ASKO d/w and I was very happy with it! It cleaned wonderfully and was almost inaudible. I would like to buy one here but due to strange appliance cartels in Europe, they just are not avail. in Italy and some other EU countries, despite being made in Sweden.. AND despite the fact that the OWNER of ASKO is actually an Italian appliance group! Go figure.