Join Early Retirement Today

If money was not an issue...
Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

If money was not an issue...

Where would you live? Grew up in Washington (the real Washington....not that DC place). Spent most of 30 years living out of the US. If I had unlimited funds....likely live in the UK, mostly because of my wife I think, although I do quite like the place....and with unlimited funds I could leave for better weather every once in a while. If not that....likely Australia. Only visited there once....but thought it was a pretty nice place. We have just had 10 straight days of above 90 degrees.....kills all my ideas about moving to Florida. I like the heat....but I also like the cold. OK.....Australia is out. Guess that means the UK. The weather is quite a bit better in southern UK....but my wife would think me a wimp (and rightly so) for wanting to live "down south" in the UK. Living in a city.....London?....ain't gonna happen. Both my wife and I aren't big fans of the place. Spokane isn't bad....but I really do have a hankerin' to head back to the UK.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Where would you live?
I've been all over the world. Texas is just fine for us.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

If money was no issue, I'd never stay in one place for more than a year :P
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Coronado, CA. Probably... Wondering if we can FIRE here on my timeline, or if I'm going to have to work longer to make it happen (and if it's worth it!).

Maybe Sydney, AU.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #5

If money was no object, I'd probably spend the summer and fall on Cape Cod and the winter and spring in North Carolina.
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd have ten (or more) small places - apartments/cabins all over the world and would move between them every 1 to 6 months.
Chelhxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Summers in Vermont, winter in Hawaii or Australia

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelhxi View Post
I'd have ten (or more) small places - apartments/cabins all over the world and would move between them every 1 to 6 months.
On House Hunters International a couple was fixing up an old house in Cianciana, Sicily they bought for something under 50K US dollars. The scenery was really spectacular.

I am not sure how much the fixing up would cost or what year the show was from, but for that kind of money a person could have multiple houses in different countries and not have to be Bill Gates to afford them all.

It would be cool to have tiny houses in various vacation spots.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #9

I've been to Sicily....I don't want to do business with...."the mob"....and they are definitely there.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
I've been to Sicily....I don't want to do business with...."the mob"....and they are definitely there.
Maybe that was why the house was so cheap?
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #11

I liked the UK. But the year I was there it was cold and that was in July through September. I have a nephew who lives there. I think about Oregon. But right now parents are a concern. I live in the mountains of So Cal. I might stay here. But always worried about fires.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ideally, I would like to have a home base in a low tax, low COL area (southeast US). Then I'd like to spend part of the year in the French Alps and part of the year in coastal California.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

If money were no object, I would have hired somebody to be sick in my place.

I then bought a E-Trek, the new class B RV that has an electric system so powerful it can run the AC on batteries. That would allow me to nap mid-day in coolness during trips without the noise of the genset.

When I got tired of RV'ing, I would hop on a plane to go abroad, to wherever tickles my fancy, to stay in a hotel for 1 week, 1 month, or however long I'd like. Wouldn't want the trouble of maintaining any more real estate.

I would still maintain my current homes, so that I had a base to go back to where most of my family are.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:07 AM   #14

If money was not an issue, I would buy a condo in Hong Kong, live there a few months a year, and travel across Asia.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

See, this is why being ultra-wealthy just would not be such a piece of cake. I'd not only have to spend a lot of time taking care of my money, but also I'd have to make decisions like where I would most want to live!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelhxi View Post
Chelhxi, I like your idea, but I think 3 or 4 places would be sufficient for me. One of them would be my home base, where I live now (BC). Perhaps a little place in Florida where I could winter and hop on a discount cruise ship at a moment's notice (the thrill of frugality). An appartement on the Rive Gauche in Paris would make a good European hub. And a stone cottage by the sea in West Cork, Ireland, where my family comes from. Of course I would have a housekeeper at each location and a personal assistant to organize everything for me. I might buy a fractional ownership in a Gulfstream jet too. Well, you did say money was no object.....
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:04 AM   #17
Administrator

I'd have a place in the UK and also keep our place in Texas. Summers in the UK with trips around the UK and in Europe while staying there. We've been doing a lot of traveling in the UK and Europe since retiring but having a house or apartment as a base to use whenever we needed to would be great.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:03 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I could see having a 2nd home in Virginia or Maryland near DC,and also London.

But shockingly enough I'm sure I'd keep my primary residence right here in Hawaii. Since I think other than a couple of months in Spring or Fall, the weather everywhere else would be bother me.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:19 AM   #19

Buy a Boeing 747 and outfit it as an RV. Well, you said money was no object....
Old 07-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #20
Administrator

In the Villa del Balbianello in Lenno, Italy, which is on Lake Como (assuming that a sufficient sum could cause the Italian National Trust to part with it)

Villa del Balbianello - Beni del FAI

My second choice would be the Villa San Michele on the island of Capri, Italy. (although in this case, it would be the Swedish government)

Capri - Villa San Michele - Info & Photos