Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Almost no political experience. No experience running ANYTHING.
I think it is telling that someone with relatively little experience is a clear front-runner for a wide swath of the population. Should tell you how badly the existing crew have effed things up.
__________________

__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
retire@40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
If Obama weren't black he would never even have become a national candidate.

Almost no political experience. No experience running ANYTHING.
Who needs experience when Oprah likes you?
__________________

__________________
No man is free who is not master of himself. --- Epictetus
Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think). --- Guy Lombardo
retire@40 is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
If Obama weren't black he would never even have become a national candidate.

Almost no political experience. No experience running ANYTHING.
Hillery....
Shouldn't you be out campaigning rather than posting here?
__________________
rgarling is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarling View Post
Hillery....
Shouldn't you be out campaigning rather than posting here?
Nah, he is just a conservative Republican who is unhappy that he has no natural candidate in the upcoming Presidential election.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I think it is telling that someone with relatively little experience is a clear front-runner for a wide swath of the population. Should tell you how badly the existing crew have effed things up.
The fact that Dems seem to be chosing OBama over Hillary and Bill speaks volumes. She's trying to sell herself as the experienced candidate but half the Dems seem to feel that if she is the product of experience, they'll go for inexperienced!
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
On a public radio show the other night, a guest was saying that if Obama were white, that he would already have easily won the nomination. What do you think?
No one can know for sure... And don't forget that TV pundits think that he won big in the south because being black actually gave him an edge in states with large African American populations like SC, GA and AL... So who knows?
__________________
FIREd is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Almost no political experience. No experience running ANYTHING.
He talks a lot about "vision", yet never fleshes out the "vision", are we going to get to hear about that?

"I have a plan" is worn out........."I have a dream" was groundbreaking...........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Nah, he is just a conservative Republican who is unhappy that he has no natural candidate in the upcoming Presidential election.
Neither do you...........you have Billary and a guy that's only been in the Senate TWO years and has no foreign policy experience..........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Neither do you...........you have Billary and a guy that's only been in the Senate TWO years and has no foreign policy experience..........
I'm no Hillary fan. My choice didn't make it far enough in the primary for me to even vote for him, but hopefully he will be a VP candidate. But any of the three remaining candidates is better than the current clown, and I'd take either democrat over McCain. And I actually like Obama pretty welll. Seems to have common sense ideas and his election would definatleyy come with a mandate for cahnge (although possibly just for change's sake).
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
He talks a lot about "vision", yet never fleshes out the "vision", are we going to get to hear about that?

"I have a plan" is worn out........."I have a dream" was groundbreaking...........
Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Issues

You know, it really is all sort of pointless... "I'm going to do x, y, and z". Well, the best the president can do is ask someone in the Senate to draft a bill about x, y, or z and then not veto it if it looks even remotely like what he asked for.

I guess executive orders have been getting pretty darn powerful, but I don't think you could create an executive order on health care or whatnot.

I've decided to vote based on who looks best in a mini-skirt and Obama has my vote!
__________________
Marquette is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I'm no Hillary fan. My choice didn't make it far enough in the primary for me to even vote for him, but hopefully he will be a VP candidate. But any of the three remaining candidates is better than the current clown, and I'd take either democrat over McCain. And I actually like Obama pretty welll. Seems to have common sense ideas and his election would definatleyy come with a mandate for cahnge (although possibly just for change's sake).
I'll give Obama props, he communicates well and seems to have some charisma about him. Plus, he's a LOT younger than Billary or McCain, so maybe he'll at least try to tackle some issues that are weighing on folks his age............

However, he is not in the same league as the other two in experience.......maybe that's not a bad thing, after all,how much experience did JFK have before he got elected??
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,866
Since no one uses the word, mulatto, I'm wondering if it is now considered racist? I find it impossible to think of him (Barry Obama) as black even though I'm reading his autobiography and as a child and young adult he clearly associated with blacks, oops, I'm mean African Americans, and identifies himself as black. His white, oops, I mean European-American ancestors clearly had a great influence on him, and so on. When, oh, when can we drop such designations?
__________________
CuppaJoe is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
If Obama weren't black he would never even have become a national candidate.

Almost no political experience. No experience running ANYTHING.
That also describes Abraham Lincoln, except that Obama did become a Senator from Illinois.

Seriously, Obama is probably the brightest candidate still standing. It does speak volumes in my profession if one has graduated from Harvard Law School and was the President of the Harvard Law Review.
__________________
ChrisC is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
clifp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
That also describes Abraham Lincoln, except that Obama did become a Senator from Illinois.

Seriously, Obama is probably the brightest candidate still standing. It does speak volumes in my profession if one has graduated from Harvard Law School and was the President of the Harvard Law Review.

Interesting point, but Abraham Lincoln ran against Steven Douglas one of the finest orators of his day with lots of political experience. Obama ran against carpet bagging Alan Keyes, who I have long said is the most articulate nut case around.

Harvard (along with Yale and Stanford) law reviews produce one president a year. Can't argue that Obama is bright and inspiring orator.
__________________
clifp is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
mickeyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Texas~29N/98W
Posts: 5,884
__________________
Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Interesting point, but Abraham Lincoln ran against Steven Douglas one of the finest orators of his day with lots of political experience. Obama ran against carpet bagging Alan Keyes, who I have long said is the most articulate nut case around.
My point is that Lincoln's experience in the Illinois state legislature was comparable to Obama's experience there, and the only national office Lincoln held before becoming President was as a one term Congressman.
__________________
ChrisC is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
clifp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,451
Lincoln also had military experience, he was elected the captain of his Illinois militia company . I am just kidding with you, but I know we are going see lots of comparison between Obama and Lincoln, it is historically a much better parallel than Obama/JFK.

The other eerie similarity is that Lincoln was nominated after a brokered convention. History rhymes.
__________________
clifp is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Since no one uses the word, mulatto, I'm wondering if it is now considered racist?
It is racist in USA, along with whatever other word the keepers of purity declare is racist. However, my Cuban friends and acquaintences call themselves mulattos, and anthropologists in Latin America, as well as Latinos themselves distinguish between mestizos, who are mixed Amerindian and European, and mulattos, who are mixed African and European.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It is racist in USA, along with whatever other word the keepers of purity declare is racist. However, my Cuban friends and acquaintences call themselves mulattos, and anthropologists in Latin America, as well as Latinos themselves distinguish between mestizos, who are mixed Amerindian and European, and mulattos, who are mixed African and European.

Ha
I had to look that word up. I never thought it racist - is it?

Main Entry:mu·lat·to Pronunciation: \mə-ˈla-(ˌ)tō, mu̇-, myu̇-, -ˈlä-\ Function:noun Inflected Form(s):plural mu·lat·toes or mu·lat·tosEtymology:Spanish mulato, from mulo mule, from Latin mulusDate:1593 1 : the first-generation offspring of a black person and a white person
2 : a person of mixed white and black ancestry
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I had to look that word up. I never thought it racist - is it?

Main Entry:mu·lat·to Pronunciation: \mə-ˈla-(ˌ)tō, mu̇-, myu̇-, -ˈlä-\ Function:noun Inflected Form(s):plural mu·lat·toes or mu·lat·tosEtymology:Spanish mulato, from mulo mule, from Latin mulusDate:1593 1 : the first-generation offspring of a black person and a white person
2 : a person of mixed white and black ancestry
When I asked if it is racist, that was an attempt at subtlety. My real point was when will we stop defining people by the color of their skin?
__________________

__________________
CuppaJoe is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Friday steve88 Other topics 84 11-29-2007 08:05 PM
the black swan greg FIRE and Money 36 09-14-2007 11:32 AM
Round One - Obama?? FinanceDude Other topics 13 01-26-2007 07:38 AM
New Obama thread shiny Other topics 70 10-31-2006 09:07 AM
Black Monday? wabmester FIRE and Money 12 05-13-2004 11:56 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:29 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.