Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Almost no political experience. No experience running ANYTHING.
I think it is telling that someone with relatively little experience is a clear front-runner for a wide swath of the population. Should tell you how badly the existing crew have effed things up.

- Will Rogers
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
If Obama weren't black he would never even have become a national candidate.

Who needs experience when Oprah likes you?

Old 02-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Hillery....
Shouldn't you be out campaigning rather than posting here?
Old 02-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarling View Post
Hillery....
Shouldn't you be out campaigning rather than posting here?
Nah, he is just a conservative Republican who is unhappy that he has no natural candidate in the upcoming Presidential election.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I think it is telling that someone with relatively little experience is a clear front-runner for a wide swath of the population. Should tell you how badly the existing crew have effed things up.
The fact that Dems seem to be chosing OBama over Hillary and Bill speaks volumes. She's trying to sell herself as the experienced candidate but half the Dems seem to feel that if she is the product of experience, they'll go for inexperienced!
Old 02-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
On a public radio show the other night, a guest was saying that if Obama were white, that he would already have easily won the nomination. What do you think?
No one can know for sure... And don't forget that TV pundits think that he won big in the south because being black actually gave him an edge in states with large African American populations like SC, GA and AL... So who knows?
Old 02-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He talks a lot about "vision", yet never fleshes out the "vision", are we going to get to hear about that?

"I have a plan" is worn out........."I have a dream" was groundbreaking...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 02-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nah, he is just a conservative Republican who is unhappy that he has no natural candidate in the upcoming Presidential election.
Neither do you...........you have Billary and a guy that's only been in the Senate TWO years and has no foreign policy experience..........

Old 02-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Neither do you...........you have Billary and a guy that's only been in the Senate TWO years and has no foreign policy experience..........
I'm no Hillary fan. My choice didn't make it far enough in the primary for me to even vote for him, but hopefully he will be a VP candidate. But any of the three remaining candidates is better than the current clown, and I'd take either democrat over McCain. And I actually like Obama pretty welll. Seems to have common sense ideas and his election would definatleyy come with a mandate for cahnge (although possibly just for change's sake).

- Will Rogers
Old 02-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
He talks a lot about "vision", yet never fleshes out the "vision", are we going to get to hear about that?

"I have a plan" is worn out........."I have a dream" was groundbreaking...........
Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Issues

You know, it really is all sort of pointless... "I'm going to do x, y, and z". Well, the best the president can do is ask someone in the Senate to draft a bill about x, y, or z and then not veto it if it looks even remotely like what he asked for.

I guess executive orders have been getting pretty darn powerful, but I don't think you could create an executive order on health care or whatnot.

I've decided to vote based on who looks best in a mini-skirt and Obama has my vote!
Old 02-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm no Hillary fan. My choice didn't make it far enough in the primary for me to even vote for him, but hopefully he will be a VP candidate. But any of the three remaining candidates is better than the current clown, and I'd take either democrat over McCain. And I actually like Obama pretty welll. Seems to have common sense ideas and his election would definatleyy come with a mandate for cahnge (although possibly just for change's sake).
I'll give Obama props, he communicates well and seems to have some charisma about him. Plus, he's a LOT younger than Billary or McCain, so maybe he'll at least try to tackle some issues that are weighing on folks his age............

However, he is not in the same league as the other two in experience.......maybe that's not a bad thing, after all,how much experience did JFK have before he got elected??

Old 02-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Since no one uses the word, mulatto, I'm wondering if it is now considered racist? I find it impossible to think of him (Barry Obama) as black even though I'm reading his autobiography and as a child and young adult he clearly associated with blacks, oops, I'm mean African Americans, and identifies himself as black. His white, oops, I mean European-American ancestors clearly had a great influence on him, and so on. When, oh, when can we drop such designations?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

That also describes Abraham Lincoln, except that Obama did become a Senator from Illinois.

Seriously, Obama is probably the brightest candidate still standing. It does speak volumes in my profession if one has graduated from Harvard Law School and was the President of the Harvard Law Review.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
That also describes Abraham Lincoln, except that Obama did become a Senator from Illinois.

Seriously, Obama is probably the brightest candidate still standing. It does speak volumes in my profession if one has graduated from Harvard Law School and was the President of the Harvard Law Review.

Interesting point, but Abraham Lincoln ran against Steven Douglas one of the finest orators of his day with lots of political experience. Obama ran against carpet bagging Alan Keyes, who I have long said is the most articulate nut case around.

Harvard (along with Yale and Stanford) law reviews produce one president a year. Can't argue that Obama is bright and inspiring orator.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Interesting point, but Abraham Lincoln ran against Steven Douglas one of the finest orators of his day with lots of political experience. Obama ran against carpet bagging Alan Keyes, who I have long said is the most articulate nut case around.
My point is that Lincoln's experience in the Illinois state legislature was comparable to Obama's experience there, and the only national office Lincoln held before becoming President was as a one term Congressman.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Lincoln also had military experience, he was elected the captain of his Illinois militia company . I am just kidding with you, but I know we are going see lots of comparison between Obama and Lincoln, it is historically a much better parallel than Obama/JFK.

The other eerie similarity is that Lincoln was nominated after a brokered convention. History rhymes.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Since no one uses the word, mulatto, I'm wondering if it is now considered racist?
It is racist in USA, along with whatever other word the keepers of purity declare is racist. However, my Cuban friends and acquaintences call themselves mulattos, and anthropologists in Latin America, as well as Latinos themselves distinguish between mestizos, who are mixed Amerindian and European, and mulattos, who are mixed African and European.

Ha
Old 02-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It is racist in USA, along with whatever other word the keepers of purity declare is racist. However, my Cuban friends and acquaintences call themselves mulattos, and anthropologists in Latin America, as well as Latinos themselves distinguish between mestizos, who are mixed Amerindian and European, and mulattos, who are mixed African and European.

Ha
I had to look that word up. I never thought it racist - is it?

Main Entry:mu·lat·to Pronunciation: \mə-ˈla-(ˌ)tō, mu̇-, myu̇-, -ˈlä-\ Function:noun Inflected Form(s):plural mu·lat·toes or mu·lat·tosEtymology:Spanish mulato, from mulo mule, from Latin mulusDate:1593 1 : the first-generation offspring of a black person and a white person
2 : a person of mixed white and black ancestry
Old 02-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I had to look that word up. I never thought it racist - is it?

Main Entry:mu·lat·to Pronunciation: \mə-ˈla-(ˌ)tō, mu̇-, myu̇-, -ˈlä-\ Function:noun Inflected Form(s):plural mu·lat·toes or mu·lat·tosEtymology:Spanish mulato, from mulo mule, from Latin mulusDate:1593 1 : the first-generation offspring of a black person and a white person
2 : a person of mixed white and black ancestry
When I asked if it is racist, that was an attempt at subtlety. My real point was when will we stop defining people by the color of their skin?