Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 04:30 AM   #61
gone traveling

Me Liberal Independent, I believe McCain is a true hero. Hillary a sham, Obama the best thing that this country has developed in politics in a long time.

Obama. Done. I will vote for him in the NC primary and if he is the dem nominee he will get my vote. I am now tuning out until november.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2008, 05:41 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
He was the first black editor of Harvard Law Review.
Charles Hamilton Houston, one of the greatest lawyers of the last century, was the first black editor of the Harvard Law Review. He also conceived the legal strategy that resulted in ending American apartheid with Brown v Board of Education. Here's the perfunctory reference to Wiki: Charles Hamilton Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia And here's a more detailed account of him. Charles Hamilton Houston Institute | Charles H. Houston | Biography

Obama was the first black President (in other law schools called the Chief Editor or Editor-in-Chief) of the Harvard Law Review.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:08 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
What do you call little experience? You're buying into that media crap too? How about his 8 years in the state senate and four years on congress? His Harvard Law degree? Working at the grass roots level? They don't count?
Hey, I've lived in Illinois my entire life. That means I know that 8 years in the IL senate counts AGAINST your character and experience.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:10 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
On the contrary. I would say the opposite. I think because he is black therefore he is considered the antithesis of the traditional national white male politician. I think that is what has propelled him to the top.

He is well spoken and articulate and does not spew vitriolic rhetoric like other past black presidential candidates (i.e., Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton) who clearly have had an ax to grind. .......
I agree - OBAMA's not like Jesse or Al, etc - he's a different kind of black racist - visit his church's website: Trinity United Church of Christ

As to comparisons to JFK & Lincoln - who's to say they were "great" presidents - an objective view of history (not the stuff they teach in public schools) shows those two trampled all over the constitution & were really not very good presidents at all.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This topic reminds me of a Star Trek Episode...

STARTREK.COM*:*Episode
Attached Images
File Type: jpg star trek.jpg (17.0 KB, 127 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 02-12-2008, 08:52 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes I picture the different candidates giving a press conference. Which one would be most enjoyable to watch?

Probably not important, but I bet more people would watch press conferences if Obama were president, at least during the honeymoon period. That would mean that more people would be informed.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
This topic reminds me of a Star Trek Episode...

STARTREK.COM*:*Episode
satisfy your desire...

Star Trek: New Voyages Home Page
Old 02-12-2008, 10:57 AM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Charles Hamilton Houston, one of the greatest lawyers of the last century, was the first black editor of the Harvard Law Review.
Thanks ChrisC! Sure got that wrong.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Hey, I've lived in Illinois my entire life. That means I know that 8 years in the IL senate counts AGAINST your character and experience.
Hey! hey! hey! Both Mr Obama and Ms Clinton are Chicago area products with Hillary growing up here and Barack living here now. Chicago Dems are true Dems... the REAL Dems... the embodiment of what it means to be a Dem in the world today!!!

If we can't elect Mayor Richard M Daley as President of the United States, then Hillary or Barack will have to do.

DALEY BLESS
Attached Images
File Type: gif Daley1.gif (34.2 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg mayor_Daley.jpg (12.7 KB, 112 views)
Old 02-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

Hey! hey! hey! Both Mr Obama and Ms Clinton are Chicago area products with Hillary growing up here and Barack living here now. Chicago Dems are true Dems... the REAL Dems... the embodiment of what it means to be a Dem in the world today!!!...
Absolutely! Youbet, you're making me homesick! Oh, how I miss the politcal debates around the table in Chicago. And the original Daley days.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Hey! hey! hey! Both Mr Obama and Ms Clinton are Chicago area products with Hillary growing up here and Barack living here now. Chicago Dems are true Dems... the REAL Dems... the embodiment of what it means to be a Dem in the world today!!!

If we can't elect Mayor Richard M Daley as President of the United States, then Hillary or Barack will have to do.

DALEY BLESS
I've never had a post that actually made me sick to my stomach. So far this thread has two. Too bad we don't have a vomiting smiley on this forum. Therefor I will have to assume you're kidding.

When you say that Daley signals "the embodiment of what it means to be a Dem in the world today"

Which part of his administration do you mean

1. The hundreds of city no show jobs given to friends, relatives, and political supporters

2. The oppressive taxes forced upon the residents

3. The total disrespect for civil liberties and respect for the second amendment

4. The waste of hundreds of millions of tax dollars to rent trucks from his campaign supporters which were then never used.

5. His total disrespect for federal law in relation to the FAA?

6. The fact that so far 3 of his major appointments have been indicted with many more to come.

Come to think of it, overtaxing people to buy friends and redestribute wealth. I agree with you, Daley does represent Democrats very well.

I consider Patrick Fitzgerald (US Atty for Chicago) to be our saviour in this city. I'm saving a special bottle of bubbly for the day that the FBI makes Mayor Daley do the perp walk.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
Obama is a dynamic speaker who inspires people. He is gifted in his ability to fire up a crowd while he claims to be a "change" president who will not be part of the Washington establishment. Hillary is intelligent, experienced and articulate. She, however, fails to inspire people and doesn't have as good of a sense of humor as Obama. Personally, I think Obama will win mainly because he is a dynamic speaker and has charisma. In November, he will have no problem beating McCain, who is not at all exciting to listen to, even though he is probably more deserving, experienced and qualified to be president.
Yes, yes, yes -
to heck with experience, foreign policy, economic philosphy, & all that other boring stuff

This is America - We want to have a feel-good voting experience - ENTERTAIN US!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
Yes, yes, yes -
to heck with experience, foreign policy, economic philosphy, & all that other boring stuff

This is America - We want to have a feel-good voting experience - ENTERTAIN US!!!
Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Issues
Old 02-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
I've never had a post that actually made me sick to my stomach. So far this thread has two. Too bad we don't have a vomiting smiley on this forum. Therefor I will have to assume you're kidding.

When you say that Daley signals "the embodiment of what it means to be a Dem in the world today"

Which part of his administration do you mean

1. The hundreds of city no show jobs given to friends, relatives, and political supporters

2. The oppressive taxes forced upon the residents

3. The total disrespect for civil liberties and respect for the second amendment

4. The waste of hundreds of millions of tax dollars to rent trucks from his campaign supporters which were then never used.

5. His total disrespect for federal law in relation to the FAA?

6. The fact that so far 3 of his major appointments have been indicted with many more to come.

Come to think of it, overtaxing people to buy friends and redestribute wealth. I agree with you, Daley does represent Democrats very well.

I consider Patrick Fitzgerald (US Atty for Chicago) to be our saviour in this city. I'm saving a special bottle of bubbly for the day that the FBI makes Mayor Daley do the perp walk.
Well! I've never heard such blasphemy in all my life!

You'd rather fight a war in Iran with 100,000's of victims than elect Rich so he could quickly organize the country into precincts and wards with precinct captains, ward committeemen and zillions of patronage jobs the darn Iranians would be groveling for? If he can control the Blackstone Rangers by cutting them in on the graft, the Iranians will be a piece of cake! Don't you understand how we Dems get things done?
Old 02-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #75

Just read this...
"Interviews with Virginia voters leaving the polls showed obama split the white vote with Clinton, and his share of the black vote approached 90 percent"
source: Obama, McCain win Virginia primaries - Yahoo! News

Since this percentage appears abnormally high, I wonder if this may be reverse discrimination in the sense that (Bill) Clinton has done so much for the black community, yet the black community seems to be putting that aside in favor of a black candidate maybe just because he is black. I know Billery is running, but I can only assume Billery would be just as kind to blacks as Bill was.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:42 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Oh look, a platform - everybody's gotta have one to get elected (not that most of the voters will really study it in depth - they just want to hear pretty speeches)

Sorry, I've given Obama my best objective read/hearing (as I try to do all the candidates being the Independent I am) and in the end it all smells carefully crafted/calculated to win an election.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
Just read this...
"Interviews with Virginia voters leaving the polls showed obama split the white vote with Clinton, and his share of the black vote approached 90 percent"
source: Obama, McCain win Virginia primaries - Yahoo! News

Since this percentage appears abnormally high, I wonder if this may be reverse discrimination in the sense that (Bill) Clinton has done so much for the black community, yet the black community seems to be putting that aside in favor of a black candidate maybe just because he is black. I know Billery is running, but I can only assume Billery would be just as kind to blacks as Bill was.
I can't help but wonder if Hillary got 90% of the "white vote" in any particular locale - would some people be hollering racism?

Obama will get 70% to 90% of the black vote no matter what his policies are - Hillary should know that, if she doesn't she has terrible political instincts and doesn't deserve to be President. When it comes down to the wire in the privacy of that voting booth, I suspect many black Americans will ultimately swing toward voting for Obama - just because
Old 02-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
. . .
Since this percentage appears abnormally high, I wonder if this may be reverse discrimination . . .
Not to pick on you R@40, but when I hear people say "reverse discrimination" I always wonder what they are talking about. It seems to me that there is is only "discrimination." We recognize some discrimination in selecting a president (or employee) as good and proper (e.g. discriminating between honest people and dishonest ones, discriminating between lazy people and industrious people) and we see discriminating using other criteria as inappropriate (e.g eye color, height). I think discriminating on the basis of race in selecting a President is inappropriate and I'd hoped we were past that, but maybe not.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #79

"I think discriminating on the basis of race in selecting a President is inappropriate and I'd hoped we were past that, but maybe not."

Its human nature and I doubt that will ever change. Anyone who is "different" will be discriminated against somehow.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Not to pick on you R@40, but when I hear people say "reverse discrimination" I always wonder what they are talking about. It seems to me that there is is only "discrimination." We recognize some discrimination in selecting a president (or employee) as good and proper (e.g. discriminating between honest people and dishonest ones, discriminating between lazy people and industrious people) and we see discriminating using other criteria as inappropriate (e.g eye color, height). I think discriminating on the basis of race in selecting a President is inappropriate and I'd hoped we were past that, but maybe not.
Well, call it discrimination if you want, but I agree that picking a president on factors other than merits is not right. When I see the white vote for Obama split 50/50 and the black vote split 90/10, it just makes me wonder if this isn't the case.
Closed Thread