Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2008, 07:52 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
For example, if there was this tiny ball of "comic beginning stuff: now in easy to explode package!" then how do we get from unexcited cosmic goop that so far has been perfectly content to stay in its tiny ball to an expanding universe? If it's always been in an excited state and it just took a while to hit some sort of critical junction that started the whole show, then energy has been created from nothing, and that would make the baby Einstein cry.
OK, I see what you are saying but that sounds like time had something to do with making the tiny ball of or goop, poop or explode. But time itself is not a force and can't do anything, e.g., put cookie dough in the oven for 30 minutes and you have cookies but it is not the time that does it. Put the dough on the counter for 50 years or whatever and no cookies.

cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2008, 07:59 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

No, time would be irrelevant. Time didn't exist yet. I'm talking about forces of physics. The hands had to apply the pressure and mix the ingredients to create the cookie dough in the first place, causing the original substances to change their properties to become a batch of chocolate chip goodness. Again, the hand had to apply compressive forces to mash a little bit of cookie dough, then move it to the oven, where heat was transferred into the cookie dough, causing more chemical reactions that even further change the properties of the substance, and when the hand removes the cookie dough, further heat transfer occurs in removing heat from the cookies into the atmosphere to make the cookies cool enough to eat.

What didn't happen was that the ingredients made it from their packages, to the mixing bowl, to the baking pan, to the oven and back out again from forces acting inside the ingredients. Forces independent of the ingredients caused a bunch of goop to become yummy delicious cookies, just as good as mom used to make. Mmmmm, cookies.

RetiredGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hell, I barely passed 101; whattaya askin' me for?

I'm satisfied that, for my purposes, Newtonian physics will do...

If there must be a Creator, who created the Creator?

And one more thing, e=mc^2, so a teensy-weensy bit of energy converts to a whole chitload of matter.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like the big bang theory. It just sounds good.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
Look, the title to this board is "Life After Fire" so I thought this was an appropriate place to ask such a question. Plus, I find the denizens of these boards to be highly intelligent, humorous and knowledgeable on many issues.
If you are interested in a serious answer to your question, I suggest you read the PDF file found at the following link:

http://tedsider.org/books/riddles/chapters_1_5.pdf

Note that this PDF consists of two chapters: chapter 1 and chapter 5 (This raises the question of why some chapters exist and others don't). You want to read chapter 5.
Dudester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if the Creator had a cigarette afterward?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I wonder if the Creator had a cigarette afterward?
Ya and it was goooood..
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

That's why it takes more faith to be an atheist than it does to believe in Genesis.
Gazingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

To be or not to be, that is the question.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post

For example, if there was this tiny ball of "comic beginning stuff: now in easy to explode package!" then how do we get from unexcited cosmic goop that so far has been perfectly content to stay in its tiny ball to an expanding universe? If it's always been in an excited state and it just took a while to hit some sort of critical junction that started the whole show, then energy has been created from nothing, and that would make the baby Einstein cry.
Ask Osama what it is
Old 04-27-2008, 05:35 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

And, because I refuse to believe that one side of anything where more than one side can exist, here's an opposing viewpoint:
Another Case Not Made: Lee Strobel's Case for a Creator
RetiredGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:12 AM   #32

No golfers or fly-fishermen in this group, so move on Jarhead. (O.K.)
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Until someone proves otherwise, the evidence is that the total quantity of matter and energy available in the universe is a fixed amount and never more or less.
Sure, in this universe.

For the dimensions that we can perceive, anyway...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #34

how does the ephemeral grasp infinity? it must be like trying to grab hold of your own shadow. how to imagine nonlinear concepts from a linear point of view. somethings are site specific. language does not always precisely translate. maybe an object is too bright to look into or too dark to see. sometimes it is more constructive to describe the space around an object rather than the object itself. sometimes the best description is not necessarily what a thing is but rather what it is not. the geometry is a negative proof. sometimes "the question is the answer."

outside of politics and religion, the closest you might come to knowing nothing is the experience of coming into being. you might not find a satisfying definition of nothing, but you can picture yourself waking up slowly from a sound, dreamless, unconscious but satisfying sleep.

edit: "i know nothing"~~sergeant hans schultz

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:30 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
Picture the infinite universe as containing nothing. It has no light, no dust, no particles of any kind, no air, no elements, no molecules, no spirit, no force fields. It's absolute nothingness. In fact, we can call it Absolutely Nothing
A staff meeting?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:50 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudester View Post
Quote from Gertrude Stein: "There is no there there" [referring to Oakland, CA]

Sounds like you have just described Oakland.
Hey! She meant it "ain't what it used to be." Change is a truth of the universe?

OP, this is really scary. You have described what I find when I try to analyze the contents of REIT portfolios; can they leverage 100?

CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote