Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman View Post
My 30 year old toaster oven flamed out just last year. I blame crumbs (and maybe teenagers "toasting" hamburgers). Had to look in dozens of stores before I could find one where the "toast" setting wasn't a knob that ticked as the time runs down. What's up with that? Are they all made in the same factory with different nameplates on the outside? Finally found a dusty old box in a corner of a hardware store that had one where you push a button to toast and no tick tick tick timer. How can people live with that noise in their kitchen every time they make toast?
Considering the despicable state of toasting technology in today's society, why does anyone bother eating toast anymore?

Bread & beer used to be an important part of my routine, but as soon as I stopped consuming them I lost weight and still had room left for chocolate...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, but red wine and dark chocolate are a dang good combination...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Yeah, but red wine and dark chocolate are a dang good combination...
On toast?!?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Peanut butter on toast(Skippy) - but I don't complain cause she cleans house et al.

heh heh heh -
Old 07-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
How about an easy to set up/plug in TV/radio/PC/phone accessible from anywhere on the property (from several machines)?
Old 07-27-2008, 10:01 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

why doesn't my car radio have a tivo function - or at least a 2 minute pause function?
Old 07-27-2008, 10:14 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
why doesn't my car radio have a tivo function - or at least a 2 minute pause function?
Yes! I've often thought that I'd like a 30 minute buffer... never enough to try and find one or build one, but enough to think it'd be a good idea.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Now can we Puh-leaaase talk about FAX MACHINES??

I am waiting for ERD50 to chime in with his burning fax hate.. but too bad. I NEED and WANT FAXES. Asking me why I need faxes is like asking the OP why he/she needs toast. It doesn't matter.
I did see the word "FAX" the first time,but didn't see the reference to me.... so I don't want to disappoint

There is no alternative to toast. There are alternatives to FAXes: email a pdf scan. Better in *every* way. None of the problems that you list. Why fight it?

And most of the new ones have a 'one button' email operation. Hit 'email', and it scans, puts it in the email, and all you do is choose the address and hit 'send'. Easier than entering the phone number of the person you are faxing to.

( all in good 'fun')

-ERD50
Old 07-27-2008, 10:21 PM   #49

efax
Old 07-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #50

The new "what"s??

Why should anyone have to turn on 3-4 machines (computer, monitor, scanner, printer) when ONE will suffice?

There is a one-button sequence in my dreams.. It's called "SEND".. oh I love the sound of "send"... Ok in reality it would be two buttons: "Mom" and "send".

Seeeennnnnnnnddddddd. It's hypnotic.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Yes! I've often thought that I'd like a 30 minute buffer... never enough to try and find one or build one, but enough to think it'd be a good idea.
I remember hearing that some guy 'invented' this idea a couple years ago. It makes sooooo much sense, it would be so easy and cheap to do with todays technology. Heck you can get an mp3 player that holds a couple hours of music for $30 (maybe less). Adding that feature into existing hardware for 30 minutes of audio would cost near nothing.

-ERD50
Old 07-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
The new "what"s??

Why should anyone have to turn on 3-4 machines (computer, monitor, scanner, printer) when ONE will suffice?
Because one machine does NOT suffice.... else you would not have a long list of (valid) complaints about your fax machines.

The fundamental problem with FAX technology is that it is synchronous communication. Unless both ends are up and running at the same time, it fails. Email is a-synchronous. Send it, on failure, it automatically retries several times over a period of hours. And it goes into a buffer, until the receiving end decides to look and retrieve it. It could sit in the buffer for weeks if needed. And it is there until they delete it. And they don't need to print it if they do not care to. It's even 'green'

You don't still listen to disco, do you? Get with the times

enough in there ?

-ERD50
Old 07-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

There is no alternative to toast. ....

( all in good 'fun')

-ERD50
My New Year's Resolution was to admit when I am wrong. On a previous post I said I learned to make toast in a frying pan. Well, three attempts prove it is just warm greasy English muffins; not even the brand with all the nooks and crannies helps it. Bleah.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:03 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Why do they make microwave ovens that continue to beep every minute or so after the food is done cooking? With a regular stove, I "get" the urgency--you could burn the house down my leaving that cake in there, so the timer keeps beeping. But when I heat up a cup of coffee in the microwave oven and go do something else, does it need to beep every minute to remind me that the coffee is still in the oven? The beeping doesn't bother me, but it slightly irritates my DW. And when Momma ain't happy . .

And another thing: Why can't somebody make a good "daily-use" drinking cup:
-- Stacks tightly with other cups to take up minimal cabinet space
-- Has an optional lid for the car/keeping the bugs out when outside
-- Dishwasher safe
-- No concave surfaces on the bottom to trap water in the dishwasher

And another thing: How about mounting the oil filters in cars where they can be reached and changed by Joe Cardriver? And maybe mount them so that they can be removed without spilling oil everywhere.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I saw a column from a guy who complained about how every appliance made today for some reason needed to tell everyone whenever it was done with its little task, crying for attention. He wanted appliances that made toast, made his coffee, heated his breakfast and then shut the hell up.

My ford expedition was a horror show to change the oil on. If my hands were half the size they are I might have gotten into that niche behind the control arm, below the exhaust manifold and above some well sharpened piece of frame to get it without cutting the crap out of myself. Our Toyota and Honda have the filter and drain plug right on the bottom of the motor, right up front, both on the left. I can drain and change the filter by sitting down in front of the car and reaching underneath. Piece of cake.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Why do they make microwave ovens that continue to beep every minute or so after the food is done cooking?
Personal preferences come into play. I would prefer that it keeps beeping. If I walk away, and it beeps while I'm out of the room, I miss it and sometimes I prefer to be reminded until I reset it.

Trouble is, there isn't always a rhyme or reason to their choices. I'd love it if I could plug a USB device into these things and change the settings myself, or at least provide a sub-menu for 'advanced' choices.

Cars are worse, every car in the family has locks that respond in different ways to different inputs. Most of them have it 'right' for one mode, and 'wrong' for another. I'd love to re-program them so they all had the best features of all of them, and were all consistent.

Quote:
And another thing: Why can't somebody make a good "daily-use" drinking cup:
-- Stacks tightly with other cups to take up minimal cabinet space
-- Has an optional lid for the car/keeping the bugs out when outside
-- Dishwasher safe
-- No concave surfaces on the bottom to trap water in the dishwasher
Wow, that list seems so obvious, yet I don't own a single coffee cup with all or even most of those features.

-ERD50
Old 07-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Aw crap, now my FAX machine leaves crumbs on the counter...
Old 07-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Why do they make microwave ovens that continue to beep every minute or so after the food is done cooking?
Man, I thought I was the only human in my hemisphere annoyed by this. I notice our microwave not only whines about it, but it won't even keep the coffee warm until I have the time to get back to it!

Quote:
And another thing: How about mounting the oil filters in cars where they can be reached and changed by Joe Cardriver? And maybe mount them so that they can be removed without spilling oil everywhere.
Like CFB says, our Toyota Prius is designed to do that. It's one of the world's smallest filters, too.

Just don't drive over any well-placed boulders...

Old 07-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Same here. The rav4 and pilot filters are smaller than my fist. I almost missed the pilot filter the first time I went looking for it. It was black, blended in with everything else and it was so small it didnt register as a possible candidate for being an oil filter.

Very oddly, the smallest oil filter I think I've ever seen was the one on the V8 on my Infinity Q45. And to give the american car companies a challenge in the 'who thought of this?' maintenance area, the little @#%@#'s put it on the front of the motor among all the fan belts and the only way to reach it was from underneath. So basically every time you changed the oil you were gonna be having some fun keeping the oil off the belts.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
And to give the american car companies a challenge in the 'who thought of this?' maintenance area, the little @#%@#'s put it on the front of the motor among all the fan belts and the only way to reach it was from underneath. So basically every time you changed the oil you were gonna be having some fun keeping the oil off the belts.
Reminds me of USAF jet (F-4 I think) where the radio was located under the pilot seat, right next to the device that ejected the pilot seat.