Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

If they’re not working, bottom line is they don’t want to work
Old 12-09-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
gone traveling

If they’re not working, bottom line is they don’t want to work

I see wave after wave of these twenty and thirty somethings on the corner begging for a handout and it’s sickening. In my city there are a ton of jobs available, entry level jobs are everywhere, in the year and a half that my wife has been in the country she has gone through 5 different jobs, she wants to work and jobs come with very little effort and a limited English vocabulary. In my city there’s no excuse for failure and I refuse to help anyone that won’t help themself
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
I see wave after wave of these twenty and thirty somethings on the corner begging for a handout and it’s sickening. In my city there are a ton of jobs available, entry level jobs are everywhere, in the year and a half that my wife has been in the country she has gone through 5 different jobs, she wants to work and jobs come with very little effort and a limited English vocabulary. In my city there’s no excuse for failure and I refuse to help anyone that won’t help themself
Just think of them as early retirees.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 12-09-2017, 04:48 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In my city there’s no excuse for failure and I refuse to help anyone that won’t help themself
Gotcha Boss!

Ha
Old 12-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Merry. Christmas!
Old 12-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #5

One possiblity is that they can't pass a background check and/or a drug test to get a job. Another is that 60 years ago some of these folks would have been institutionalized also due to mental problems.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #6

Quote:
I see wave after wave of these twenty and thirty somethings on the corner begging for a handout and it’s sickening.
Intersting. I've not witnessed "wave after wave" of this age cohort begging for handouts in my neck of the woods. In fact, up until my E.R. a year ago, I managed such a group of twenty and thirty somethings. Found them to be hard working, street smart, reliable and good with technology.

YMMV
Old 12-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I think we need to re-institute the Draft and get some of these folks into the military.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I think we need to re-institute the Draft and get some of these folks into the military.
No!

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Old 12-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

As long as they stay off my lawn, I don't care.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:33 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
blah blah blah...I refuse to help anyone that won’t help themself
Thanks for the reminder to be a kind person.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:55 PM   #11

Kind = enabling in this situation. Drugs, alcohol, untreated mental illness are what you are seeing. Crime inevitably follows. We all suffer the consequences of ignoring this. It's tough love time. We need the laws against vagrancy and begging back. We need to shut down and clean up the homeless encampments. We need to be able to get people that are too mentally ill to function off the streets and into some kind of care facilities against their will. People who are competent that refuse to get off the streets need to go to jail and then some kind of boot camp. Our society is crumbling before our eyes. Soon we will look like India. No thanks!
Old 12-09-2017, 05:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Most would probably be classified 4f not fit for service even in WWII something like 30% were so classified.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I have noticed it here in the dfw area. Even talk to some because of my job. Their excuse is why work 8 hours for $8 a hour when they can make over $100 in about 4 hours hanging around outside begging. My wife would see them at a local mcdonalds she would go to on her way home begging for money. She would get them a happy meal thru the drive thru and when she hands it to them they still ask her for money.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4legsgood View Post
Thanks for the reminder to be a kind person.
Well said.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #15

Are there no prisons? Are there no work houses?
Old 12-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefullyoneday View Post
I have noticed it here in the dfw area. Even talk to some because of my job. Their excuse is why work 8 hours for $8 a hour when they can make over $100 in about 4 hours hanging around outside begging. My wife would see them at a local mcdonalds she would go to on her way home begging for money. She would get them a happy meal thru the drive thru and when she hands it to them they still ask her for money.
They have plenty of food. They buy from the takeout restaurants and the donut shops in the shopping centers with their money. Recently saw a lady on a corner with a "Hungry" sign and a $5 drink from Starbucks. The reason they aren't satisfied with McDonald's is they want the money for alcohol, drugs, and cigarettes. If you would not enable an addicted sibling or child to buy these things, why would you enable a stranger?
Old 12-09-2017, 06:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Are there no prisons? Are there no work houses?
Many of them are dealing drugs and engaging in petty theft from cars or whatever is an easy target. Prisons would be the appropriate place for them, don't you think?
Old 12-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

There are many homeless in our area who would likely be thrilled to have even a work house. The police come and clear out the camps and throw away all their belongings and medication and they have nowhere else to go. It is hard for people who are malnourished, mentally ill, have no address and maybe a criminal record to find a job. And it is hard to treat mental illness and addiction for people when they have no housing or a place to make meals and store groceries. Many mental health issues have been traced to nutritional deficiencies. Utah seems to have had some success with their housing first program in aiding the homeless.

Even working full time it is hard to find housing in the Bay Area that is affordable. I know because I was helping a young person who had been kicked out by the parents, had multiple jobs, still had been homeless for a time and was always living on the edge. Kids from dysfunctional families like that aren't exactly coached on interviewing skills and FICO scores and may have mental issues of their own like PTSD. It is estimated 20% of foster kids end up homeless when they age out of the foster system.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 12-09-2017, 06:58 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Jeebus. Sure a bunch of people who want to spend $50,000+/annum to jail a bunch of people who have their own problems. Frankly I haven't seen Biff or Mindy out there bagging, instead people who haven't been blessed with a normal IQ or personality or undamaged psyche.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Prisons cost too much. Euthanize the homeless.

"If they be like to die, they'd better do it and reduce the surplus population"

Merry Christmas y'all -
Closed Thread