Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwanted View Post
We are open to being outside (1-2 hours) of a major city. We think the weather isn't a major issue. We are both used to cold and hot weather cities.

We have contemplated the midwest, such as Des Moines suburbs. I love the mid-west values.
I was thinking midwest college towns might be a match, like Madison, Lincoln, Lawrence. Des Moines is less of a college town but probably similar. College towns tend to be more liberal which may or may not be what you're looking for, but it's also relative to the area. Madison, I think, is pretty liberal, while Lincoln is not as much.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
Asheville, NC., Nashville, TN., Pacific NW, Italy - I have never lived in any of these places but I like them when we visit.

FN
I like the first two mentioned. Also thinking of Dallas Fort Worth, and Hollywood, FL.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Springfield, Missouri.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:13 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Springfield, Missouri.
There's another great pick. University, great lakes close by, great tourism and entertainment in Branson. Low cost of living in a very wholesome region. It has it all.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Springfield, Missouri.
Yes indeed! Springfield Cashew Chicken!

Doesn't get any better than that!

OP my best advice is to prioritize your top X things. Folks here do their best to help but in the end it's a very personal decision.

I posted about some places and got mixed reviews, actually one poster said "don't go there". Well after a year we're very happy. You're the folks who have to be happy with your destination, not anyone else.

Heck I was chatting with a fellow today who said his brother retired TO Mansfield PA. I grew up 50 miles from there, never knew anyone who went there willingly.😁

Thinking about Mansfield, it might be a perfect area for someone. University town, with great outdoor activities nearby. It's pretty isolated for some folks tastes.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Whitefish, MT
Park City, UT
Boulder, CO
Sun Valley, ID
Flagstaff, AZ
Paradise Valley, AZ
Lake Tahoe (Nevada side)

All are on the expensive side but surrounded by natural beauty. I think whether you find them down to earth, however, would depend a lot on your choice of neighborhood.
Persn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwanted View Post
My DW and I are strongly considering moving from an increasingly over-crowded major metro in the SE. We have 2 kids in early elementary school.

We are easily FI (in the same club as Hesperus), so a job is not a priority, although I am not opposed to a PT gig in my field.

We are looking for an area that is down-to-earth, has great schools, very low crime and is family-friendly.

We are open to almost anywhere but think Florida and California are out for various reasons.

We would love some suggestions of places to consider. TYIA!
So much depends on your preferences and your tastes, etc.

That said, we kinda did this back in 2000. We had been living in Silicon Valley and the place was just getting too crowded, fast passed, expensive, etc. The key point for us was that DS was just about to start kindergarten and we didn't like the public schools and private was too expensive for us. So it was an optimum time to move.

He moved to the Columbus, Ohio area. I'm from Ohio originally (not Columbus) and Columbus is arguable the nicest larger city in Ohio so it had our attention. Their are a number of suburban school districts that are quite excellent. Bexley, New Albany, Upper Arlington, Olentangy. DS is now in grad school doing very well.

We live in a quiet neighborhood in a nice house we couldn't afford back in California. It's a neighborhood, but we have woods out back and lots of critters to make life interesting. Neighbors are very friendly and there is lots of good shopping, restaurants, and so one close by.

Lets see (checking your criteria). There's very little crime and it defines family friendly.

It's still easy to get out. Most of the east coast and Midwest is a days drive away and we love Columbus airport - decent connections and very few long lines.

Finally, there's traffic here, but I often chuckle when people complain about it given the horrendous traffic I suffered through in the Bay Area. There's actually a "rush hour" here that's about that long.

Oh yeah, four seasons. That was something is missed ALOT in California. Here the seasons aren't extreme and never is very hot or very cold for too long. Perfect if you like the rhythm of the seasons.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #28

London, Paris, Berlin, Hong Kong.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #29
gone traveling

If you are a member of the 8 figure club do you really need to limit yourself to 1 location?
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:11 PM   #30

Any rich Dallas are suburbs will fit the bill, especially Lucas, Fairfield, Highland Village.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:17 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
we have that here
You have what, where?
Old 09-13-2017, 02:56 AM   #32

We lived near West Chester, PA and I think it would meet the criteria you outlined. Personally we were happy to move back to CA but the area was down-to-earth and very family oriented.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:21 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Jackson Wy, Flagstaff Az or somewhere between Silverton and Durango Co
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:58 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Burlington Vermont area meets the listed requirements. There are downsides however - real winters (though kids seem to love that) and high taxes.

We moved our family here (I grew up here) from Silicon Valley when the kids were starting school. It has been a great place to raise a family. Tight communities, good schools (see taxes comment above), beautiful, and not too crowded. Good luck.
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
You have what, where?
"low congestion, down-to-earth, family friendly and low crime "

in Boise
Old 09-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbahop View Post
Burlington Vermont area meets the listed requirements.
my nephew and his wife are residents at UV med school - they love it there
Old 09-13-2017, 09:06 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persn View Post
Park City, UT
Boulder, CO
+1
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if there is anyplace in the US, any more, that is truly low in crime. I'd love to live in a mid sized city (in a warm climate) where I could walk outside at any time of day or night, leave my doors unlocked, and so on. I don't think that such a place exists.

You'll never believe this, but it's true: When I was a kid in Kailua, Hawaii, most houses did not even have locks installed in the doors. So people couldn't even lock their houses if they wanted to, which they didn't. Crime was that low. I used to walk around by myself after dark freely. Kailua isn't that way any more, though.

Crime in New Orleans is over the top. I think this is one of the worst places for crime in the country, so this is not a good place for Travelwanted to live. I think crime is the only thing that could drive us away from here. Someday it might, although we can tolerate it for now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I wonder if there is anyplace in the US, any more, that is truly low in crime. I'd love to live in a mid sized city (in a warm climate) where I could walk outside at any time of day or night, leave my doors unlocked, and so on. I don't think that such a place exists.

You'll never believe this, but it's true: When I was a kid in Kailua, Hawaii, most houses did not even have locks installed in the doors. So people couldn't even lock their houses if they wanted to, which they didn't. Crime was that low. I used to walk around by myself after dark freely. Kailua isn't that way any more, though.

Crime in New Orleans is over the top. I think this is one of the worst places for crime in the country, so this is not a good place for Travelwanted to live. I think crime is the only thing that could drive us away from here. Someday it might, although we can tolerate it for now.

You'll need to move to Switzerland or Japan.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
"low congestion, down-to-earth, family friendly and low crime "

in Boise
Try checking out Idaho schools at or near the bottom of the pack in EVERY category. I don't consider that family friendly.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote