Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

If you could move your family anywhere. . .
Old 09-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

If you could move your family anywhere. . .

My DW and I are strongly considering moving from an increasingly over-crowded major metro in the SE. We have 2 kids in early elementary school.

We are easily FI (in the same club as Hesperus), so a job is not a priority, although I am not opposed to a PT gig in my field.

We are looking for an area that is down-to-earth, has great schools, very low crime and is family-friendly.

We are open to almost anywhere but think Florida and California are out for various reasons.

We would love some suggestions of places to consider. TYIA!
Travelwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Whidby Island, Port Townsend, Bellingham, or anywhere else on the Olympic Peninsula
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't know how someone could make meaningful suggestions for you, we all have different priorities.

City-Data.com - Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more
Best Places to Live | Compare cost of living, crime, cities, schools and more. Sperling's BestPlaces
https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
https://www.walkscore.com/

And several others.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwanted View Post
My DW and I are strongly considering moving from an increasingly over-crowded major metro in the SE. We have 2 kids in early elementary school.

We are easily FI (in the same club as Hesperus), so a job is not a priority, although I am not opposed to a PT gig in my field.

We are looking for an area that is down-to-earth, has great schools, very low crime and is family-friendly.

We are open to almost anywhere but think Florida and California are out for various reasons.

We would love some suggestions of places to consider. TYIA!
You got over 10 Million bucks, Shazaam!. Thats an easy one New York City , East side, 50-82nd streets. Best private schools in the world. They will meet other mega-millionaire kids. No need for prenups. You got huge money like yourself this place is a paradise play-land. Broadway shows, best restaurants, people watching. Museums, etc., you name it we have it. Want a Jewish deli sandwich at 3 AM on a Saturday night, yup we have it. Takes big money to get the full thrill of this place. I think you have the means to enjoy this place to its fullest.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
You got over 10 Million bucks, Shazaam!. Thats an easy one New York City , East side, 50-82nd streets. Best private schools in the world. They will meet other mega-millionaire kids. No need for prenups. You got huge money like yourself this place is a paradise play-land. Broadway shows, best restaurants, people watching. Museums, etc., you name it we have it. Want a Jewish deli sandwich at 3 AM on a Saturday night, yup we have it. Takes big money to get the full thrill of this place. I think you have the means to enjoy this place to its fullest.
Haha, but I'm thinking it doesn't fit the down-to-earth part. Plus it's even more congested than where I am now! But I appreciate the suggestion and do love visiting NYC.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

It might help if you listed some places you are already thinking of (and why), and places you've eliminated (also why) to get a better response. But usually around here you just get posters' favorite or current places, even if they are a terrible fit for what you've asked for, as you've seen already.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The low congestion, down-to-earth, family friendly and low crime would be possible to find together. But when you throw in great schools (especially if you mean great schools in general as opposed to at least one top notch private school available), you're asking a lot.

Maybe you could elaborate on what you mean by "great schools." Some folks mean a solid grammar, middle and high school system likely to be able to launch the kiddos off to a good college. Others mean top 5% - 10% schools in the national rankings. Most/many of those are located where it's "congested."
Old 09-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
The low congestion, down-to-earth, family friendly and low crime would be possible to find together. But when you throw in great schools (especially if you mean great schools in general as opposed to at least one top notch private school available), you're asking a lot.
we have that here
Old 09-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Not the Florida Keys....
Old 09-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
NYC is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't move my family there - the golf scene sucks for one thing
Old 09-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have found that children from NYC are just not so down to earth. Their vision of the world centers around their city.

Telling someone where to raise a young family has so many dimensions. I like a small city within 45 miles of a dynamic big city that has mountains and lakes close by. And it helps to have a university close by with first class football and basketball. And a reasonable cost of real estate and low taxes would be the icing on the cake.

How about East Tennessee? Or Asheville, NC? Or Franklin, TN? Greenville, SC? Oxford, MS. Winston-Salem, NC? Tuscaloosa, AL? Huntsville, AL? North GA Mountains?
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
NYC is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't move my family there - the golf scene sucks for one thing
I went to a golf course 1 time, it was a private country club, I never got out of the cart. From what I hear there are about 30 real nice ones, but some are 2 hours away from the heart of midtown.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 09-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I have found that children from NYC are just not so down to earth.
So the 8 digit children that live near you are down to earth? Give the poster your zip code, sounds like your locale is the spot.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Pretty broad selection, what's the largest size town you'd want to live in?

How do you feel about cold weather? (I mean really cold)...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
So the 8 digit children that live near you are down to earth? Give the poster your zip code, sounds like your locale is the spot.
BCG - I think it's how you raise them. We are not a keeping up with the jones type family. I know it will be hard because we will have the means to do whatever but I grew up lower middle class and insist on keeping them humble.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Pretty broad selection, what's the largest size town you'd want to live in?

How do you feel about cold weather? (I mean really cold)...
We are open to being outside (1-2 hours) of a major city. We think the weather isn't a major issue. We are both used to cold and hot weather cities.

We have contemplated the midwest, such as Des Moines suburbs. I love the mid-west values.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #17
gone traveling

Emphasis on likely good schools & not go-go atmosphere: New Hampshire. Utah. Smaller NC cities away from coast. Indy (Carmel). WA outside metro Seattle. Maybe OR. Des Moines.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We are open to being outside (1-2 hours) of a major city. We think the weather isn't a major issue. We are both used to cold and hot weather cities.

We have contemplated the midwest, such as Des Moines suburbs. I love the mid-west values.
Ever been to MSP area...you'll find most of your wishlist here and world class medical care...major hub for Delta ...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I went to a golf course 1 time, it was a private country club, I never got out of the cart. From what I hear there are about 30 real nice ones, but some are 2 hours away from the heart of midtown.
Isn't that what helicopters are for?
Old 09-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #20

Asheville, NC., Nashville, TN., Pacific NW, Italy - I have never lived in any of these places but I like them when we visit.

FN
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote