"If you economize (...) you can get by on a billion or two"

FIREd

Moderator Emeritus
Turner Lost CNN, Fonda, Fortune, Feels ‘Like a Dummy’ (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

Ted Turner, on losing most of his fortune.

If you were around at the time, I gave everybody a hundred thousand dollars if they came up with anything,” Turner said. “I just couldn’t hold onto it.

I’ve had the experience of being on top and riding the roller coaster down again, nearly to the bottom. You know, if you economize and don’t buy new airplanes or long-range jets, or that sort of thing, you can get by on a billion or two.

Gotta admire his [-]willingness [/-]ability to speak out though:

“War is obsolete,” Turner said. “The last time someone surrendered was Japan and that was 60 years ago. The Afghans will never surrender. We will just get tired and come home. We’ve already given up on Iraq and there’s oil in Iraq, there’s no oil in Afghanistan.”

"... You know, pass it around. You know, it’s kind of like a joint -- you just pass it around, light it up, you know, share with your friends.”

Maybe he could get some ideas from Forbe's 2007 list of frugal billionaires. One of them sounds like someone who might post on this forum, he

prefers to ride his bike, though he also drives a 1993 Honda Accord or a 1986 Volkswagen camper. Lives in the same ... home he bought in 1981. He flies commercial, and cuts his own hair rather than wasting time and money going to a barber.

The Frugal Billionaires - Forbes.com

cuts his own hair rather than wasting time and money going to a barber

Hey! I do that (once a year, whether I need it, or not). Maybe there's hope for me becoming a Billionaire, after all.

Back
Top Bottom