Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-26-2014, 06:06 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Someday you'll go to the supermarket and they'll have margarine but no tubs to put it in. You'll wish you'd kept those things!
Exactly what Mom would have said!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Three more things set out by the driveway today with a "free" sign. Two are gone. Several things leaving with a nephew who is visiting for the weekend.

What do you do to reinvigorate yourself on this very long task....?

Old 09-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm probably halfway done. It seems to be getting harder. A lot more of the stuff is not useless. A lot more of it is sentimental. But, I really don't need most of it. Then there are the tools and stuff I use.. if I'm staying put.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you had a lot of stuff, how long did it take you to do a major de-clutter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post

Why do I still need to possess my hundreds of vinyl LPs and CDs? For the past many days I have packed boxes and boxes of 'em. They take up a lot of space.

I could just as well have all that music stored on an external hard drive that I could hold in my hand. (Let's not get into the debate regarding the "warmth" of vinyl vs. "weaker" MP3 digital sound, or of "superb" digital recordings.)

I'm not getting rid of any of my CDs. Some (especially pedal steel) were sold to me by the artists that recorded them and are irreplaceable. Same thing with my finger picks, which are my "lucky charms".

My picks were sold to me by the great Buddy Emmons and his late wife Peggy. I remember a few things: Buddy is pretty tall and Peggy was really pretty. Both were supportive of a then-young guy who just wanted to get started and learn.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #65

Gave away two bicycles to relatives who wanted them. Good. Too more things we don't have to deal with.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #66

For the sentimental things that I was willing to part with, I took photos and then donated or gave away the actual items. I did take some of the sentimental items - generally those with the "most emotional value".

If you want you can create a scrapbook of the sentimental items you took photo's of. Of course, that just creates another sentimental item, but hopefully one that takes less space.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #67

We have moved three times in the last 5 years...that helped a lot! We also have regular garage sales (1-2) a year which gets rid of things that DH has finally come to terms to part with
I am hoping that when we move cross country in the next 3-4 years, he can be persuaded to just leave with clothes, cats, and a few sentimental things...nothing that would cost thousands of dollars to move.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Had my first garage sale today, just grabbed some stuff and made $262.00 in 5 hours. I see that when I get this going full steam, I could add to my MAD money. May not tell DW, but then again she will start to see stuff disappear never to be seen again. Looks like this could take a while, at this pace, but I do have a year and than off to very needy family members, and then to Goodwill.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #69

Waste management drop off container $450
4 Workers 4 Hours @$18/hr $288
Total 4 hours Cost $738

Double that $1476
Old 09-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Three more things set out by the driveway today with a "free" sign. Two are gone. Several things leaving with a nephew who is visiting for the weekend.

What do you do to reinvigorate yourself on this very long task....?
Several times I have used a "Free" with a must take all caveat. A couple of marginal useful items with junk. It has worked everytime.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I die first, DW can fill up my side of the room with more of her crap **** junk collectible items. If she goes first I'll be able to support myself at a 0% SWR for a few decades getting rid of stuff on eBay, craigslist, yard sales, etc. But for now I choke back my unhappiness at the continuing accumulation of crap **** junk stuff in the name of peace in the home. Other than this character flaw (IMHO) we're extremely happy, so I just let it slide. I'm sure overall I'm the more annoying of the two of us.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
If she goes first I'll be able to support myself at a 0% SWR for a few decades getting rid of stuff on eBay, craigslist, yard sales, etc.

Check prices before you make plans to spend the money! DH and I have a year to get rid of things so we're throwing things out every week with the trash, donating books to the library, and I'm selling what I can on E-bay. A lot of the "collectibles" have minimal value. Fifteen Hallmark mini-ornaments, originally $5-$7 each, $9,99 for the lot. Dickens Village houses, originally $30-$50, another $10 each, maybe. Beanie Babies? Fuggedaboutit. Glad I never bought any if them expecting them to be investments.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Check prices before you make plans to spend the money! DH and I have a year to get rid of things so we're throwing things out every week with the trash, donating books to the library, and I'm selling what I can on E-bay. A lot of the "collectibles" have minimal value. Fifteen Hallmark mini-ornaments, originally $5-$7 each, $9,99 for the lot. Dickens Village houses, originally $30-$50, another $10 each, maybe. Beanie Babies? Fuggedaboutit. Glad I never bought any if them expecting them to be investments.
I wasn't talking about value, just quantity. She's a major part of the reason the economy is doing as well as it is. Doesn't understand the difference between liking something and needing it. But she never bought anything thinking it was an investment. She just likes stuff. Lots of stuff.

Funny/sad story. Back in the early days of the Beanie Baby craze I was having lunch with a co-w*rker. While we ate I was kibitzing on the conversation at the next table. A older (but younger than I am now, lol) woman was bragging to her friends about how she was going to pay for her son's college education with her "investment" in beanie babies.

We have a ton of them stuffed in a plastic tub because DW's mom liked to buy them for her grandkids, and somehow we ended up with the whole collection. I suspect I could sell them for something like $10/lb or so. It would probably work out to $.50 on the dollar. Except for the first edition Princess Di bear. Might actually get her money back on that one.

De-clutter? A dream only.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I wasn't talking about value, just quantity. She's a major part of the reason the economy is doing as well as it is. Doesn't understand the difference between liking something and needing it. But she never bought anything thinking it was an investment. She just likes stuff. Lots of stuff.

Funny/sad story. Back in the early days of the Beanie Baby craze I was having lunch with a co-w*rker. While we ate I was kibitzing on the conversation at the next table. A older (but younger than I am now, lol) woman was bragging to her friends about how she was going to pay for her son's college education with her "investment" in beanie babies.

We have a ton of them stuffed in a plastic tub because DW's mom liked to buy them for her grandkids, and somehow we ended up with the whole collection. I suspect I could sell them for something like $10/lb or so. It would probably work out to $.50 on the dollar. Except for the first edition Princess Di bear. Might actually get her money back on that one.

De-clutter? A dream only.
You could use the beanie babies as packing material around fragile items you sell on eBay.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
I tried to do a "minor" de-clutter today and got nasty stares from my DW. We have six drawers full of kitchen utensils (not including a silverware drawer). They are so full of stuff that you can't open them at times. I just wanted to remove stuff that is never used... And be able to open and close the drawers. My DW objected and let me know it! I pointed out we had four tomato cutters, three melon ballers, four ice cream scoops,and a whole pile of plastic stick things that she couldn't identify. I got three of the drawers sorted out before she intercepted me. She pulled a couple of old rusty steak knives out of drawer number four and then announced that the rest of the drawers were off limits. Oh, we'll. I suppose I should feel happy that I got as far as I did.

So, in answer or the original question...it would take my DW FOREVER to de- clutter. She sees no reason to down-size.
Start watching "Hoarders".

My decluttering method:

Pull everything out of the drawer. Wipe it down and sanitize. That's why you are doing this. As you put things back, ask if you have used the item in the past 24 months (covers all the seasonal items twice.) If not, either trash, sell, or donate.

Clothes are a different problem. Every women who is overweight intends to lose weight some day. Sort by sizes and put in plastic storage bins labelled by size. Then she can "go shopping" when she hits a milestone.

Find a good reason for her to downsize, then it may happen.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
You could use the beanie babies as packing material around fragile items you sell on eBay.

LOL. Great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-31-2014, 07:09 PM   #77

Interesting short article here: The life-changing magic of Tidying Up - Boing Boing

Quote from The life-changing magic of Tidying Up

When I woke up, I knew immediately what that voice in my head had meant. Look more closely at what is there. I had been so focused on what to discard, on attacking the unwanted obstacles around me, that I had forgotten to cherish the things that I loved, the things I wanted to keep. Through this experience, I came to the conclusion that the best way to choose what to keep and what to throw away is to take each item in one’s hand and ask: “Does this spark joy?” If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it. This is not only the simplest but also the most accurate yardstick by which to judge.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:00 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

My set back was that during our big neighborhood garage sale weekend a friend won a free weekend at a resort and invited us to go. We went to the resort and that was fun, but we missed the garage sale as a result, and that was plan A for getting rid of a lot of the stuff I had stacked up to sell from our decluttering. I took some low value stuff to Goodwill yesterday and old monitors to Staples for recycling.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:15 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
My set back was that during our big neighborhood garage sale weekend a friend won a free weekend at a resort and invited us to go. We went to the resort and that was fun, but we missed the garage sale as a result, and that was plan A for getting rid of a lot of the stuff I had stacked up to sell from our decluttering. I took some low value stuff to Goodwill yesterday and old monitors to Staples for recycling.
We've had better luck when it's NOT a neighborhood garage sale - it's just our house. Less competition, and more sales completed. (Vs people who wait to decide while they check out the neighbors junk.)
Old 11-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

My mom passed away recently, so we're now in the process of uncluttering her house. We're getting ready to fly south for the winter, but we worked our big ole butts off for a number of weeks getting the place set so we can shut it down for the winter.

Talk about a hoarder! I used to think she was just shy of being one, but I hadn't opened any closets or cabinets. Holy crap! We've taken out anything of value (papers, jewelry, guns, pictures, etc.) and taken about 6 trips to the Salvation Army, 2 trips to the library, and untold trips to the landfill. We've got the place to a level where we don't get claustrophobic just walking in. We'll try to finish it up next summer.

It's amazing how little the things a person can accumulate mean to someone else. It's giving me incentive to get better at removing stuff of my own that I don't need. Also, since she died unexpectedly, it drives home that keeping potentially embarrassing stuff around might not be such a great idea.