Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
One day - KATRINA.

Now time has passed and I got married last year at age 70. The Katrina experience I think helped my attitude. I moved to the new wife's airplane bungalow with some clothes(a very reduced amount), two dogs, one cat and a relatively small Kennedy toolbox.
I had never heard of an airplane bungalow so I looked it up. Airplane Bungalow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I love that type of house and the size, just never heard of it by that name.

I have never been a shopper or accumulator. I'm content with the stuff I already have and have learned to uncouple from stuff that's beyond it's useful function. But I do tend to hang onto stuff I used to use or enjoyed in the past but don't need anymore. I'm making progress in this area.

But DH is an acquirer. He and our older son love to go to all the thrift stores and just buy old stuff. It's either to rescue stuff or sometimes to buy and sell on ebay. I wish he would really get to selling some crap on ebay because what really happens to it is it gets put upstairs in an unused bedroom and left there, usually on the floor. This is the stuff that's far too "important or valuable" to get put in the large storage attic above the attached garage where it is exposed to heat and cold.

If he ever got the urge to purge I'd be thrilled to participate, I'd even splurge for a dumpster. But right now he's still enjoying the hunting and acquiring of old crap and he enjoys the time with our son.

I'm certainly not an immaculate housekeeper but I'd like to be able to open a door to an unused bedroom and see baseboards and nice wood flooring instead of open boxes of old electronics and miscellaneous junk.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I have never been a shopper or accumulator. I'm content with the stuff I already have and have learned to uncouple from stuff that's beyond it's useful function. But I do tend to hang onto stuff I used to use or enjoyed in the past but don't need anymore. I'm making progress in this area.

But DH is an acquirer. He and our older son love to go to all the thrift stores and just buy old stuff. It's either to rescue stuff or sometimes to buy and sell on ebay. I wish he would really get to selling some crap on ebay because what really happens to it is it gets put upstairs in an unused bedroom and left there, usually on the floor. This is the stuff that's far too "important or valuable" to get put in the large storage attic above the attached garage where it is exposed to heat and cold.

If he ever got the urge to purge I'd be thrilled to participate, I'd even splurge for a dumpster. But right now he's still enjoying the hunting and acquiring of old crap and he enjoys the time with our son.

I'm certainly not an immaculate housekeeper but I'd like to be able to open a door to an unused bedroom and see baseboards and nice wood flooring instead of open boxes of old electronics and miscellaneous junk.
Are you my DW's long lost twin sister?
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:55 PM   #43

I just cleaned out (but, not completely) the top shelf of one of my clothes closets. I decided to toss out some sweat pants and work-out shorts and shirts, along with some bermudas (are they still called that?). Of course, I went through the pockets of all the clothing--most of which I hadn't worn in at least a year. Now, this always happens--there's Kleenex (often more than one) in some of the pockets--usually unused (or, seemingly unused). So, the quandary is, do I keep the Kleenex or toss the Kleenex? (And, this is the stuff I wonder about at 10:55 on a Saturday night. I simply need to do better than this).
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Moved to another country...
Old 06-15-2014, 06:08 AM   #44

Moved to another country...

15 years of accumulation and decided to move to Mexico. Sold or donated everything. Quite liberating. Kept enough to pack up the car and travel South.
We hope to rebuild one day with a clear idea of what we really need if/when we move back.
Surewhitey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #45

But, what did you do with the Kleenex?
Old 06-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been tossing out stuff for a decade. I still find things I dont' use and can probably be put to better use by somebody else. Alas, I often continue to buy things that become clutter. However, I am becoming better at walking away from such things for a few hours and a few days, and then asking myself if I really need the item. Usually the urge goes away. If it repeatedly comes back, then I may eventually buy it. The impulse purchases are the worst.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
But, what did you do with the Kleenex?
Nosy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I have been tossing out stuff for a decade. I still find things I dont' use and can probably be put to better use by somebody else. Alas, I often continue to buy things that become clutter. However, I am becoming better at walking away from such things for a few hours and a few days, and then asking myself if I really need the item. Usually the urge goes away. If it repeatedly comes back, then I may eventually buy it. The impulse purchases are the worst.
I know what you mean. I've just gone thru a major decluttering, including kitchen gadgets, but last Sunday walking thru an outdoor mall, I couldn't resist buying this gadget on sale for $6.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Multi-Opener.JPG (16.8 KB, 495 views)
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:23 AM   #48

I would starve if I didn't have a draw full of these-type gadgets. But, this one looks better than the ones I have. Please let us (e.g. redduck) know if this one works well.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

I am lucky that I have zero arthritis in my hands, so I have never had any trouble opening jars at all. I don't own even one of those gizmos.

Generally I do not buy anything until I have figured out a place to put it. While that helps in minimizing clutter, it doesn't eliminate it.

To cut back on clutter and unwanted items, I bookmark whatever I might see on Amazon and want instead of buying immediately. Often a few weeks later I find that I don't want the item so much any more (and delete the bookmark).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Having just inherited a lot of stuff, I'm in the mode to downsize. Most of the new stuff I got is more of the sentimental value stuff.

One of my strategies is that I put a free box out next to my trash in the ally. I try to keep it full, and the stuff keeps disappearing (not by the trashmen), so I know it's going to someone that wants it. It's a lot easier than other options. I don't need a yard sale with $0.25 items.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #51

Thanks for all the comments, folks!

I requested the book at the library.

One takeaway: I need to be more ruthless with getting rid of stuff.

Another is, I think we need to work a little faster to get to that "liberating feeling" (because we're not there yet).

Continued comments, tips and hints welcome.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #52

Again, as I have mentioned numerous times recently, I am in the process of moving from my current home of 32 years to a nice (but smaller) apartment.

I had (and still have) a lot of stuff, but I have been downsizing in various ways for the past few weeks--such as mentioned in my thread here.

A recent post in another thread in this ER Forum, about the poster asking the neighbor kid to bring over his favorite CD to check out a new loudspeaker the poster had just acquired, and the kid saying he doesn't own a single CD, got me to thinking.

Why do I still need to possess my hundreds of vinyl LPs and CDs? For the past many days I have packed boxes and boxes of 'em. They take up a lot of space.

I could just as well have all that music stored on an external hard drive that I could hold in my hand. (Let's not get into the debate regarding the "warmth" of vinyl vs. "weaker" MP3 digital sound, or Neil Young's offer of "superb" digital recordings.)
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post

I guess I am asking: why do I need to still possess all these LPs and CDs, that take up so much space, when I can essentially hear the same music via a medium that takes up virtually nothing?
You don't. We gave all ours (music Cd's, DVDs, tapes, old records) away and don't miss a one.

Matter of fact, we even had some 8-track tapes. Now that's hoarding at its finest!
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #54

Workers are coming in the morning to paint the next couple of areas. That takes the decluttering of those areas to the next level as it triggers a re-evaluation - and more stuff gets tossed or donated.

It has taken awhile to get this far....
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

I tried to do a "minor" de-clutter today and got nasty stares from my DW. We have six drawers full of kitchen utensils (not including a silverware drawer). They are so full of stuff that you can't open them at times. I just wanted to remove stuff that is never used... And be able to open and close the drawers. My DW objected and let me know it! I pointed out we had four tomato cutters, three melon ballers, four ice cream scoops,and a whole pile of plastic stick things that she couldn't identify. I got three of the drawers sorted out before she intercepted me. She pulled a couple of old rusty steak knives out of drawer number four and then announced that the rest of the drawers were off limits. Oh, we'll. I suppose I should feel happy that I got as far as I did.

So, in answer or the original question...it would take my DW FOREVER to de- clutter. She sees no reason to down-size.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:06 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
I tried to do a "minor" de-clutter today and got nasty stares from my DW. We have six drawers full of kitchen utensils (not including a silverware drawer). They are so full of stuff that you can't open them at times. I just wanted to remove stuff that is never used... And be able to open and close the drawers. My DW objected and let me know it! I pointed out we had four tomato cutters, three melon ballers, four ice cream scoops,and a whole pile of plastic stick things that she couldn't identify. I got three of the drawers sorted out before she intercepted me. She pulled a couple of old rusty steak knives out of drawer number four and then announced that the rest of the drawers were off limits. Oh, we'll. I suppose I should feel happy that I got as far as I did.

So, in answer or the original question...it would take my DW FOREVER to de- clutter. She sees no reason to down-size.
So, while she's watching the kitchen drawers, it's time to get rid of the surplus towels and bedsheets in the overstuffed linen closet.

Mastery of misdirection is key in decluttering. (As he slips 2 cubic yards of unused-for-10-years Christmas decorations out the back door for freecycling...)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
So, while she's watching the kitchen drawers, it's time to get rid of the surplus towels and bedsheets in the overstuffed linen closet.

Mastery of misdirection is key in decluttering. (As he slips 2 cubic yards of unused-for-10-years Christmas decorations out the back door for freecycling...)
Oh, now...that's deceptive... but I like the idea.

Since you brought it up, why do we still have all those sheets and towels that were in style when we got married in the 70's? You know the ones I'm talking about, with all the flowers or paisley things on them. We don't use them anymore. We don't even have any single beds, but have a whole shelf of single sheets.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
............ We don't even have any single beds, but have a whole shelf of single sheets.
Keep it up and you'll need 'em.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
People will laugh, but that's exactly what we had to do when my mother was preparing to move from her house to the apartment. One sister would take her out to lunch or dinner and the other sister and I would attack some part of the house. Mom grew up in the Great Depression and never, ever, threw anything out if there was the slightest possibility that it could possibly be used again some day.

Prior to that experience I'd had no idea that it was possible to stuff so many plastic bags, plastic margarine bowls, and paper bags under a kitchen sink. It was truly amazing to see the pile we pulled out of there.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Prior to that experience I'd had no idea that it was possible to stuff so many plastic bags, plastic margarine bowls, and paper bags under a kitchen sink.
Someday you'll go to the supermarket and they'll have margarine but no tubs to put it in. You'll wish you'd kept those things!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote