Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #241
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Interesting to me that people are coming to the defense of car dealers in this case - thought they were pretty universally reviled.
It's been kinda like watching your mother-in-law drive off a cliff in your new Cadillac.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
I was in law school in D.C. working with the folks who wrote the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. It was written with auto dealers specifically in mind. Many have a "quasi-monopoly" in an area and therefore have to be closely regulated.

The structure of the act makes the manufacturer strictly liable for the failures of the dealer. That is why the dealer is not an"independent" operator. If the manufacturer in the warranty promises service by any dealer, and the dealer craps on the consumer because the consumer isn't "their" customer, the manufacturer is liable for damages plus attorneys fees. If we find a pattern or practice which the manufacturer tolerated, it gets even worse for them
I suppose you have a lot of real life experience like I do with the auto manufacturers screwing the dealers. The truth is, most manufacturers treat their dealers like crap, and screw them as much as they can. Chysler was notorius for this, sending the dealer 30-40 "extra" cars they didn't order in crappy colors and bad option packages, because they "made too many" and it was an "extra allocation".

You can quote all the legal facts you want, some of us were actually on the ground. The manufacturers try to pass the buck to the dealer all the time. It's like Chicago politics at its finest, shakedown after shakedown. Sure, a lot of dealers deserve the treatment they get, but the manufacturer has abandoned the customer of their car a LONG time ago. I was our dealer's point man for all issues that got elevated to manufacturer's reps, so I got to know them quite well. I bought a brand new Pontiac Grand Prix in 1996, and the transmission died at 27,000 miles, 3 months out of warranty, and the dealer and the FACTORY told me to pound sand. ONLY because I knew the rep was he able to get involved and get me some assistance. When I called Pontiac direct as a consumer to file a claim using their process, I was told "nothing could be done" and I was "on my own". So, don't pontificate about how the dealers suck and the factory is the good guy, that's not the case..........

FWIW, I filed a claim under the Magnuson-Moss Act 3 years ago. Its does not work as "nifty" as you think........but I am sure noone on here, you included wants to hear how that ordeal went down........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 06-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #243
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
It's been kinda like watching your mother-in-law drive off a cliff in your new Cadillac.
I'm pretty lucky I guess, never had a MIL.........

Old 06-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #244
Give me a forum ...

Looks like I killed another thread!

Old 06-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #245
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Is there nothing you have not done?
He hasn't become susceptible to sarcasm!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #246
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Looks like I killed another thread!
Not yet, but keep in mind that you had plenty of easy opportunities help on this one!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
He hasn't become susceptible to sarcasm!

Old 06-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #248
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Interesting to me that people are coming to the defense of car dealers in this case - thought they were pretty universally reviled.
It depends on who is attacking them.

Ha
Old 06-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #249
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It depends on who is attacking them.

Ha
Ayup. such was my thought.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #250
Give me a forum ...

Anyone remember when his wife got his password and gave us "The rest of the story" about John "Big Water" Galt?

Priceless.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #251
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Yep, we got a lot for our entertainment dollar during that little episode.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 06-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #252
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Anyone remember when his wife got his password and gave us "The rest of the story" about John "Big Water" Galt?

Priceless.
Now that was funny, I wonder what happened to old John?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #253

I have it on good authority he moved into his parents' basement...

Old 06-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #254
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Priceless.

I missed this... any link
Old 06-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Nope. The thread was removed to protect the guilty innocent.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #256
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
It's a busy life. My field is law and technology. Every one of the areas you describe has a legal component, which is what I work on...
Well you do need the Dale Carnegie course but in the prof's defense I have to say I am impressed with how knowledgeable (at least on the surface) lawyers can become in a very short period of time. DW is a partner in an energy law practice and I dealt with lots of lawyers in my career (primarily lawyers who dealt with HR, labor relations, technology and contracts). It never ceased to amaze me how quickly a good lawyer could get up to speed on an area he or she had no previous background in and do a bang up job representing my interests.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #257
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Is there nothing you have not done?
Yes. Emeritus hasn't told Lois Lane who he really is.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #258
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Well you do need the Dale Carnegie course but in the prof's defense I have to say I am impressed with how knowledgeable (at least on the surface) lawyers can become in a very short period of time. DW is a partner in an energy law practice and I dealt with lots of lawyers in my career (primarily lawyers who dealt with HR, labor relations, technology and contracts). It never ceased to amaze me how quickly a good lawyer could get up to speed on an area he or she had no previous background in and do a bang up job representing my interests.
True, but some select lawyers are quite annoying when they belittle other folk's intelligence and become "know-it-alls"........

Old 06-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #259
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
He revealed his actual name in one of his posts, and a crack team of hard-working Internet researchers immediately devoted all of their efforts to... creating a Google Alert.

He resurfaces from time to time in fine "Letters to the Editor" columns in his local community. (The word "fine" refers to the editors, not the contributions.) I don't think there's any urgency to considering his re-admission to the board's membership.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #260
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Lol, apparently people dislike lawyers more than used car salesman. Well, this tread went no where in a hurry.

Here is my take, for whatever it its worth. dm's dealer should have eaten the difference. Which is what happened. Great!

Also, I'm surprised a dealership would be so petty with a potential client because they bought their warranty elsewhere. Wouldn't you want repeat business? As in, wouldn't you do your best to get them back there when it comes time to lease or buy a new vehicle?