Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

If its a new car, call the manufacturer's regional representative
NB if they take the car back it may be unlawful for them to sell it as a new car, which gives you even more leverage.
You test drove the car . Any claim that they "delivered" the wrong car is simply crap and the owner should know better .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Looks like a lot of us has had wrong VIN number situations. The pattern maked be believe this isn't the exception but perhaps a tactic used in car selling. Most consumers wouldn't think to check the VIN. You'd think that is something the car dealer should check and check again, but apparently they don't.
After all the years I was in the car biz I've never heard of something so stupid to think dealers have the time to play these stupid games. Now, are there a lot of dummies in the car biz, you got me there.

One of my salespeople said it best. Car sales is what you do when you fail at everything else.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
If its a new car, call the manufacturer's regional representative
NB if they take the car back it may be unlawful for them to sell it as a new car, which gives you even more leverage.
You test drove the car . Any claim that they "delivered" the wrong car is simply crap and the owner should know better .
After spending most of my life in the car biz, just remember one thing.

"There's an A$$ for every seat"

The dealer will not get stuck with the car!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post

I fully expect to take this car back and pay a thousand more to another dealer than I can buy it from them. But I'm kinda pissed.
I think you have to ask yourself if $1000 or whatever you can negotiate is worth the principle.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I think you have to ask yourself if $1000 or whatever you can negotiate is worth the principle.
It is now, I don't think tommorow will change anything. Also when I buy a new car I would rather deal with the same place I bought it for warranty work, ect . I just don't feel good about dealing with them if they want the car back.

I retired in OCT of 2007 and have seen my portfolio fluctuate well in the six figure range. $1000 really doesn't mean that much. But I would remember the deal for years.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
After all the years I was in the car biz I've never heard of something so stupid to think dealers have the time to play these stupid games. Now, are there a lot of dummies in the car biz, you got me there.
I used to buy cars for members of my family. several times car salesmen tried the "the manager wouldn't go for the price" scam. I always answered "that just cost you another $500 for the insult to my intelligence" I always got the car with the $500 off.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is now, I don't think tommorow will change anything. Also when I buy a new car I would rather deal with the same place I bought it for warranty work, ect . I just don't feel good about dealing with them if they want the car back.
Having been away a few days, I was new to this thread and had to read it from top to bottom......

I'm confused about one issue. The paperwork you have in hand, which car does it refer to? Which car did you sign for and now hold paperwork for? Regardless of which car you demo'd or which car they delivered to you, which car is identified as the purchased car on the paperwork that you signed and now hold?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Having been away a few days, I was new to this thread and had to read it from top to bottom......

I'm confused about one issue. The paperwork you have in hand, which car does it refer to? Which car did you sign for and now hold paperwork for? Regardless of which car you demo'd or which car they delivered to you, which car is identified as the purchased car on the paperwork that you signed and now hold?
The paperwork that I have is for a car I never saw or knew existed. I was told they had only one and they drove it over from their other dealership. I thought I bought that car the same day. When I was looking over the paperwork to check the vin is when I discovered it didn't match the car that I drove home. I notified the dealer to make sure I received the correct paperwork to take to the DMV.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The paperwork that I have is for a car I never saw or knew existed. I was told they had only one and they drove it over from their other dealership. I thought I bought that car the same day. When I was looking over the paperwork to check the vin is when I discovered it didn't match the car that I drove home. I notified the dealer to make sure I received the correct paperwork to take to the DMV.
When I buy a car I try to very methodical and check everything, as I know I not in a consumer friendly environment. These people are pros at coming out on top. One very well informed poster said (more or less) do not expect the dealer to lose. Why is that ? Because everything is stacked in their favor. It would almost be worth giving up driving just to avoid this. The customer can lose, or sometimes, draw. He isn't going to win no matter what they say.

Ha
Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #70

DM, I would say that if you haven't heard from the dealer by now they will just send you the correct paperwork in the mail and that will be that.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
One very well informed poster said (more or less) do not expect the dealer to lose. Why is that ? Because everything is stacked in their favor. It would almost be worth giving up driving just to avoid this.
I don't understand why you would be willing to give up driving to avoid having a car dealer make a few bucks on you in a car deal. Sounds draconian to me.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Car listed for $34K, you paid a little over $30K. Should have been listed at $36K and you would have paid $32K. They will "lose money" if they sell it to you for a little over $30K. I havent bought a new car in a long time, but I suspect if they "lose money" on this, it wont be a lot.

In any case, I was jerked around by a car dealer when I bough my first car - when I showed up to pick it up, I was told they "made a mistake", the car was really more, but they would be willing to "only take $1000 more". I was 21 and stupid at the time. I would never put up with that today. There is little I want bad enough to be scammed like that. With the economy the way it is, they should be a little more more concerned about customer satisfaction.

But ultimately it depends on how much you really want the car. Do what you makes you happy. And in the meantime, take lots of long trips.......:-)
Old 06-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #73

Ha, you may not believe this but there is a manager behind the dark window. Sales people often work on what's known in the business as flats. In other words the salesperson gets $50 to $100 for the sale. The salesperson doesn't care what you buy the car for so the dealer needs a manager to control the pricing.

You guys would also be surprised how many customers are trying to run their own little scams against the dealer. I won't get into it here but trust me it's not all the dealers pulling the scams.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I don't understand why you would be willing to give up driving to avoid having a car dealer make a few bucks on you in a car deal. Sounds draconian to me.
Well, I did say almost.

Still, I believe that people sometimes do give up things when annoyances mount up, unless they have a strong need for the product or service that is involved. So far my need for a car trumps the collection of anoyances that a car involves, but it is getting closer to a draw.

Ha
Old 06-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You guys would also be surprised how many customers are trying to run their own little scams against the dealer.
Pray tell. Don't get me wrong; I am not sarcastic. Lacking street smart, I like to hear stories like that.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #76

Quote:
DM, I would say that if you haven't heard from the dealer by now they will just send you the correct paperwork in the mail and that will be that.
I called him today, I was going golfing and it was bugging me. I made it plain that I would either bring back the car or he could correct the paperwork. He felt that me paying another $1000 was fair. But he said to give it another day.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I called him today, I was going golfing and it was bugging me. I made it plain that I would either bring back the car or he could correct the paperwork. He felt that me paying another $1000 was fair. But he said to give it another day.
I am sure that he knows what he is doing. There is slim chance that this is anything other than a manipulation. Are you sure that the passage of time doesn't in some way weaken your position?

Ha
Old 06-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
Car listed for $34K, you paid a little over $30K. Should have been listed at $36K and you would have paid $32K. They will "lose money" if they sell it to you for a little over $30K. I havent bought a new car in a long time, but I suspect if they "lose money" on this, it wont be a lot.

In any case, I was jerked around by a car dealer when I bough my first car - when I showed up to pick it up, I was told they "made a mistake", the car was really more, but they would be willing to "only take $1000 more". I was 21 and stupid at the time. I would never put up with that today. There is little I want bad enough to be scammed like that. With the economy the way it is, they should be a little more more concerned about customer satisfaction.

But ultimately it depends on how much you really want the car. Do what you makes you happy. And in the meantime, take lots of long trips.......:-)
The more expensive car listed for $34,000, it was on the sticker for all to see. The other car listed for $32,000. I paid $30,000.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #79

No, the passage of time will help DM.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Pray tell. Don't get me wrong; I am not sarcastic. Lacking street smart, I like to hear stories like that.
Why?
Closed Thread