If You Need a Drink ...

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It's hard enough finding good low-carb drinks. Add acid reflux into the mix, and it's even harder.

Here's what I've come up with that tastes great:

W98mGBU.jpg

Start with 13 fl oz Unsweetened Almond or Almond/Coconut milk
Add 3 fl oz Heavy Whipping Cream (don't skip this)
Add 1 TBS or less of Sugar-Free DaVinci or Torani Syrup

Mix and Drink

You can adjust the sweetness and make it barely as sweet as normal milk or as sweet as those cartoons of chocolate milk we had as kids.

I've used chocolate, egg nog, vanilla, and coconut flavored syrups. All good.

We drink water......it's actually quite simple to prepare.....

In beer there is strength
In wine there is wisdom,
In water there is bacteria.
Ben Franklin

I never drink water because of the disgusting things fish do in it.
W.C. Fields

It's hard enough finding good low-carb drinks. Add acid reflux into the mix, and it's even harder.

Here's what I've come up with that tastes great:

W98mGBU.jpg

Start with 13 fl oz Unsweetened Almond or Almond/Coconut milk
Add 3 fl oz Heavy Whipping Cream (don't skip this)
Add 1 TBS or less of Sugar-Free DaVinci or Torani Syrup

Mix and Drink

You can adjust the sweetness and make it barely as sweet as normal milk or as sweet as those cartoons of chocolate milk we had as kids.

I've used chocolate, egg nog, vanilla, and coconut flavored syrups. All good.

Thanks, but if you don't mind, I'll just take the pork chop.

We drink Electrolit and water 40/60 to cut the sweetness. It i essential to reduce dehydration.

Ha. I've found that to be the case as well. As far as acid reflux goes, I'm trying to adjust to some low acid coffee. Taste a little weak but not unexpected. I can adjust.

Wow Al, that looks like a whopper of a drink. I like shakes and got to the point where I can safely indulge in one now and then but I will have to try this. Chocolate syrup please.

Ha. I've found that to be the case as well. As far as acid reflux goes, I'm trying to adjust to some low acid coffee. Taste a little weak but not unexpected. I can adjust.

I don't (currently, at least) suffer from acid reflux, and I do like strong black coffee, which gives me no side effects.........so water is great at other times.

How about a trailer park mimosa: box wine and tang. You can just sub crystal light for the tang and go low carb...

Agree. We find dehydrated water is convenient when travelling. Just add water.

We carry some dehydrated water with us at all times...although we find it's easy to misplace........but, then again, just as easy to replace.

Chocolate is a significant acid reflux trigger for me. Although sometimes "going up is worth the comin' down" ... or comin' up in this case.

I am pretty much on the Crystal Light bandwagon. Lots of tasty flavors and keeps my water intake high. The Almond milk made me a little sad as I used to really enjoy it, but then I was informed of the "almond milk scam", so I don't drink it anymore. :(

Buttermilk and condensed Cream of Mushroom soup. :eek:

I won the fraternity traveling outhouse trophy one year (longevity & pungency) using that secret mix.

Why I'm reminded of that after nearly 40 years I don't know, but thanks! (no acid reflux BTW)

_B

At first I was wondering what liqueur was in that bottle, then I scrolled down and lost my interest.... :(

Important discovery - almond milk smooths out a lot of rough spots. Drambuie with almond milk.

Drambuie? Almond milk? Same glass, same time? Sounds like alcohol abuse.

ETA: Drambuie is great no matter how you enjoy it.

I have been experimenting with my "private reserve" batch of honey that was from a particular hive at a particular time. It is so good we kept all of that batch, very complex and just a parade of flavors. I have found the recipe for a killer dram: 2/3 cup of honey dissolved in half a cup of water (warm it gently stirring constantly just until it mostly dissolves - goal is to heat the honey as little as possible). Add 1.5 cups of Bulleitt rye whiskey, and let it sit for a couple weeks. The resulting liqueur is simply amazing. I do not get it out often because it is hard not to go through quite a bit of it at one sitting. For the non-beekeepers, I would search out top shelf, raw white tupelo honey to make this.

I make the same basic recipe with vodka. It is a more pure expression of the honey, but I don't think it is as interesting.

Buttermilk and condensed Cream of Mushroom soup. :eek:

I won the fraternity traveling outhouse trophy one year (longevity & pungency) using that secret mix.

Why I'm reminded of that after nearly 40 years I don't know, but thanks! (no acid reflux BTW)

_B

My service frat's traveling trophy (for best alcoholic drink) was a toilet seat and the "event" was called the "Annual Toilet Bowl." Ahhh, brings back (mostly) fond memories. I placed 2nd one year for my version of "Bug Juice" (an eye dropper-full out of every liquor bottle brought that year - added into 4 oz of a mixer of cream and Coke.) I guess you had to be there. YMMV

I remember a few youthful outings where we sloshed down too many Rusty Nails. 1 oz Drambuie and 1 oz Dewars.
Whoosh!

I am pretty much on the Crystal Light bandwagon. Lots of tasty flavors and keeps my water intake high. The Almond milk made me a little sad as I used to really enjoy it, but then I was informed of the "almond milk scam", so I don't drink it anymore. :(
So the "scam" is that almond milk is mostly water, a few almonds, and other additives? And eating straight almonds is much more nutritious?

Or that you can easily make it yourself? And much more cheaply?
The Almond Milk Scam Is Shocking, Here’s How to Make Your Own In 30 Seconds!

For me: So what? I only use it to replace dairy milk in my oatmeal and occasionally in baking and prefer it to rice milk. I don't look to it for nutrition. I eat plenty of almonds anyway.

And I'm not interested in making my own almond milk.

Not much of a controversy there.

The brand I buy doesn't contain some of the common criticized additives like carrageenan.

Back
Top Bottom