Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

If you’re so smart, why aren’t you rich?
Old 03-03-2018, 08:41 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Turns out, it's just chance.

"The most successful people are not the most talented, just the luckiest, a new computer model of wealth creation confirms. Taking that into account can maximize return on many kinds of investment."

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...tm_medium=post

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #2

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Calvin Coolidge
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Eureka !!!!

Says it all.

Isn't this the same MIT that scammed/hacked the lottery to win $Millions ??

Now that is making use of luck
Old 03-03-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The wealthiest individuals are typically not the most talented or anywhere near it. “The maximum success never coincides with the maximum talent, and vice-versa,” say the researchers....
I don't know about the wealthiest people, those billionaires that I do not know of any personally. All of them have some talents that I know I do not have, hence I cannot envy them.

Now, I also agree that a person with 10 billions is not 10 times smarter than one with 1 billion. But they both know more than I do about making money, that's for sure.

Down to my pedestrian level, I do know some people who got more money than I did, by putting everything into one stock and making it. They were not smarter than me, just lucky and willing to take the risk that I shunned. I can't envy them either.

So, it's really nothing earthshaking.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:44 AM   #5

If think about the really rich like Bill Gates (Founder: Microsoft) or Larry Ellison (Founder: Oracle) Both dropped out of big name schools: Harvard and the University of Chicago - so by all common standards they were indeed very smart. They however have a trait more rare: Creativity coupled with the abilty to monetize that creativity.

The question “If you’re so smart why aren’t you rich?” is however fundamentally flawed. It assumes that the only end game worthy of the intelligent is the pursuit of wealth. I would argue that the really intelligent pursue fulfillment. Whether that is teaching history, being a park ranger or researching a cure for leukemia. For a lucky few the a by product of their passion is wealth...

A simple question- What would you rather be rich or comfortable and happy? I’m leaning towards the latter.

There is one thing I’m pretty sure ...smart people don’t spend a lot of time worrying about how unfair it is that someone could be so rich..
They are too busy living.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:13 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
If think about the really rich like Bill Gates (Founder: Microsoft) or Larry Ellison (Founder: Oracle) Both dropped out of big name schools: Harvard and the University of Chicago - so by all common standards they were indeed very smart. They however have a trait more rare: Creativity coupled with the abilty to monetize that creativity.

The question “If you’re so smart why aren’t you rich?” is however fundamentally flawed. It assumes that the only end game worthy of the intelligent is the pursuit of wealth. I would argue that the really intelligent pursue fulfillment. Whether that is teaching history, being a park ranger or researching a cure for leukemia. For a lucky few the a by product of their passion is wealth...

A simple question- What would you rather be rich or comfortable and happy? I’m leaning towards the latter.
+1
Old 03-04-2018, 06:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post

There is one thing I’m pretty sure ...smart people don’t spend a lot of time worrying about how unfair it is that someone could be so rich..
They are too busy living.
Some people never figure this out.... It is paramount to fulfillment in my opinion.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:46 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Interesting >>>> I think some people that are very smart go on to get a well paying job because of the education they got. So with a high paying job they became wealthy almost by accident. Not all but a lot of those very smart people.

I believe becoming wealthy has way more to do with wanting that goal then being smart.

I know a few people that never went to higher education and become very wealthy from hard work. They might have a high IQ I have no idea but the one thing they all had was hard work and going to make it work.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:16 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Leaving out the astonishing wealth class, in point of fact all of the well to do (2-8 mill) folks I know are "rich" because of intelligence. Combination of good education leading to better employment and enough sense to invest more or less rationally and not consuming more than they produce.

One point regarding Bill Gates that is often over looked. He was born into the sort of wealth that meant that when he had the good idea he could explore it without ever worrying about heat/shelter/food/medical care/etc. That makes a huge difference.
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorcarver View Post
Leaving out the astonishing wealth class, in point of fact all of the well to do (2-8 mill) folks I know are "rich" because of intelligence. Combination of good education leading to better employment and enough sense to invest more or less rationally and not consuming more than they produce.

+ I see that everyday at my job ..the well heeled are extremely hard workers, frugal for their incomes (LBYM) and they do it for decades ..
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:45 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Makes sense. Intelligence and talent doesn't necessary translate to wealth.

Now makes me wonder how much money did Einstein make compared to others of his time.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:59 AM   #12

Yes a bit of luck might be involved but being socially able and working 70 hours a week for many years has helped with my financial growth also.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I'm reminded of a guy in my church in NJ who had a Ph.D. in Math and worked in the produce department of the local grocery store. At one point he did manage to find one of those "assistant adjunct" positions in another state while his family stayed in NJ- wife was a nurse, fortunately, so they had other income. (I did find out from her comments in a small group that she was still haunted by the fact that her father had died back in Nigeria and she hadn't been back since- even for the funeral- because they couldn't afford it.) It didn't help that he had a really strong Nigerian accent. I'm pretty good at tuning my ear to understand foreign accents but his was more of a challenge than average and I'm sure that made it hard for him to get teaching positions. And there I was with a measly BA in Math from a decent state university, working as an actuary and doing a lot better. I felt a bit guilty.

So, native intelligence isn't everything. It's partly luck and partly the choices you make.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Calvin Coolidge
Silent cal was wrong. Even if "nothing" could take the place of persistence that doesn't mean that persistence is necessary or all that contributory to the success of an endeavor. Besides just to have the situation wherein persistence can be applied concedes that it is chance that brought you there. No matter what else may or may not be involved or necessary to a result the sine qua non is always chance.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:27 AM   #15

Intelligence does not hurt, although a combination of factors come into play, hard work, recognizing an opportunity, life style, self-restraint, good health, and yes, good luck.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

No matter how hard he works, no matter how smart he is, the garbage picker in Mumbai is never going to be the president of General Motors.

Most of us don't think about the fact that before we ever pooped in a diaper we had won the lottery. Only one chance in 20, for example, to be born in the US. Additional odds against us being born into a family that valued and could afford to encourage our education. For many of us, the birth lottery also gave us both white skin and male gender -- significant assets in the struggle for wealth.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'm still not convinced luck has a lot to do with wealth. Ya you may get lucky and make a big sale for a commission check etc.. I believe getting something you want doesn't happen by accident. Some are lucky to be wealthy from birth but for a do it yourself millionaire doesn't happen by luck. Somewhere along that journey hard work, planning and common sense to reach a goal. Being smart on top of all the other qualities for success doesn't hurt but definitely don't have to be a road scholar to achieve financial success.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I'm still not convinced luck has a lot to do with wealth. Ya you may get lucky and make a big sale for a commission check etc.. I believe getting something you want doesn't happen by accident. Some are lucky to be wealthy from birth but for a do it yourself millionaire doesn't happen by luck. Somewhere along that journey hard work, planning and common sense to reach a goal. Being smart on top of all the other qualities for success doesn't hurt but definitely don't have to be a road scholar to achieve financial success.

I've heard the expression: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity."

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:26 AM   #19

I am surprised that "Risk" is not mentioned above. If you are willing to risk everything in an entrepreneurial way, your chances of hitting that lucky ending are much greater. That goes for those that are willing to risk some of their earnings in the stock market but to a likely lesser degree.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #20

Quote:
If you are willing to risk everything in an entrepreneurial way, your chances of hitting that lucky ending are much greater. That goes for those that are willing to risk some of their earnings in the stock market but to a likely lesser degree

No. Simply "risking" a lot does not in and of itself increase chances of success. The actual chances of success are not knowable given the variables involved. Risking less could cause greater success and increasing risk simply increases the chance of losing over which the risker will be soundly savaged for being stupid or something.

And the whole invocation of the concept of risk means... yep... it's all chance. "playing the odds....? Just chance.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote