Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-23-2007, 10:44 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

CFB, if we want to tackle the virus issue, let's start a new thread. It's just going to bore the crowd that wanted some useful info about buying a laptop.

You are back to your argument about 'vulnerabilities' and are ignoring the REALITY that none of those vulnerabilities have been exploited in any significant numbers in the wild.

As an Apple shareholder (a very, very happy one after the earnings report, AAPL has more than DOUBLED YTD), I'm also very happy that they address any vulnerabilities BEFORE they are exploited. No complaints from me.

And before you try the tired old 'market share ' numbers for an explanation of why there are no viruses, think a minute first. By that same logic, there would be NO browsers, NO Office suites, NO word processors, NO Developer's conference, etc, etc.

The last time I asked for examples of actual exploitations, I think you put me on 'ignore'. So, fire away if you wish, but please, start a new thread.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Just a quick (somewhat on-topic) stock market note. I myself am amazed by these numbers:

AAPL market capitalization is now > 2X DELL

AAPL market cap > IBM, HPQ and Intel

AAPL market cap is now more than half of MSFT

There's been some great strides made since Steve Jobs returned in 1997. He brought with him the underpinnings of the MacOS (NextStep), upon which the first internet browser was developed.

WorldWideWeb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-ERD50
Old 10-23-2007, 11:21 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
...I Or consider this, 30% of students at Harvard are on Macs, 35% of incoming freshman. Other schools are reporting similar stats. Now, do you really think these bright kids that rely on their computers to get their assignments completed, and for fun, are going to risk that high cost education over a computer that doesn't have the software they need? Why? Just because it matches their iPod? Does not add up for me.

-ERD50
This jibes with the "bright kids" I deal with, not Harvard folks but working high-level jobs and inventing stuff in Silicon Valley. If I send an e-mail out to three people down in the valley, I assume that at least one of them will need the attachment in an Apple-compatible format.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are more PC's in use in the world than there are MAC's. If it were the other way around we would be talking about Steve Jobs as the richest man in the world rather than Bill Gates.

Both machines are good. Both machines will do just fine for a home user. Lot's of school freshman use PC and lots use Mac's. However, your own clever use of statistice i.e. 30% of Harvard students use Macs, leaves out the fact that the other 70% use something else, as darn few Harvard students don't use a computer. So, IMHO, unless you have a specific application that requires a MAC, PC wins out based on the shere number of users. I don't keep up with MAC prices, however, I can get a decent laptop running Windows for under $500, new. I can use Open Office for an office suite, or it will come with Microsoft Works. I can download, for free, almost any utility to accomplish almost any task.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:01 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
This jibes with the "bright kids" I deal with, not Harvard folks but working high-level jobs and inventing stuff in Silicon Valley. If I send an e-mail out to three people down in the valley, I assume that at least one of them will need the attachment in an Apple-compatible format.
Good point, but I 'gristle' at the term 'Apple-compatible format'.

As I said before, use open formats. Apple users are not looking for an Apple specific format, just open formats that anyone can use, including those that choose Linux, or whatever. If they can't read an open format, that is their problem with the system they chose.

-ERD50
Old 10-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
So, IMHO, unless you have a specific application that requires a MAC, PC wins out based on the shere number of users.
I fail to see why the sheer number of users should be a deciding point for anyone. My choice in cars was not dictated by a popularity contest, but by the make/model that I thought would best fit my needs and price range.

I'm glad we have a choice. If a Windows machine fits your needs best, you've got your answer. One of the reasons that I am so vocal about supporting open formats is so that everyone can have a choice, and not forced to follow the crowd. Be it Mac, Linux, Windows or the next great thing that someone is tinkering with in a laboratory today.

My point regarding 30% (which is less than 70%) is that it is significant enough that there is a software market and software is available. If that were not the case, those Harvard kids would not bother with them - you think they want to carry around a useless CPU, battery, screen and RAM for the heck of it?

-ERD50
Old 10-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I use a PC notebook even though I am an AAPL shareholder. The Macs are fabulous machines (as one son and many friends attest to). I hold AAPL because I believe the iPod/iPhone phenomenon is going to drag more new users to the Mac.

Will they crack the corporate market? I don't know. I notice that Lotus Notes runs on the Mac now. The Macs have fewer price points than the PC. That and software compatibility will be hurdles for sure.

They might have to wait until all those new Mac users get into decision-making positions!
Old 10-24-2007, 12:31 PM   #48

Which notebook?
I would recommend either a Dell Vostro or Macbook.
However, it depends largely on what you want to do with it. I am a game geek, love the newest shooter, so I need a Windows machine. Apple just really dropped the ball with developers decades ago. If you want it for browsing, and the price is comparible, get the Mac. If the Dell is cheaper with the same equipment, get the Dell.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Cameras, cellphones, PCs & Laptops, DVD players, etc... become obsolete before the payback for the extra cost of a premium model. In other words, today's premium model is tomorrow's base model ( 2-3 years). Unless there is a specific need that sticks out, I tend to stick with the base model on most electronics.
I bought the Dell D630 and a month later for the same price, they upgraded the hard drive from 80 to 120G and the CD/DVD from 24xCD/RDVD to 8XCD/RWDVD. I wanted to buy these uprades but didn't want to spend another $130. If I had, I would have gotten my money back and would have had the upgrades. Although it was a little more than 30 days, I told them what I had wanted and they gave me a credit of $130 off the price. I also got an additional $50 off because I was not happy with their touchpad so I shaved off $180 off of my $1106 purchase price.

MJ