Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2015, 01:57 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Spend the time day trading and come out the other end a million bucks wealthier.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I could make easily, I'd say the first couple of weeks. But after that would need to keep myself busy to not think about being under "house arrest". To pass the time, I'd be organizing the cupboard to make sure all the canned goods are stacked a certain way
My spices are already alphabetized...

Living where I do, from December to March I get enough bitter cold and snow to keep me "housebound" for several days at a time. I intentionally have indoor projects lined up for the winter to keep me from climbing the walls. After 3 days, I get out of the house no matter what, even if it is just to the front steps to shovel.

My indoor growing room provides just enough greenery to chase off the winter blues when it gets cloudy for days on end. Besides gardening being my main retirement hobby, it helps to turn on the tabletop fountain and play with the plants. Nice little "greenhouse" to putter around in.

I dislike driving in the snow, so if there is no good reason and/or I don't have cabin fever, I stay home. It's very cozy here in the castle.
More than 3 days ? I'd go crazy crazier without the internet or fun human contact.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:04 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can do a year standing on my head, you lousy screw!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:11 PM   #24

-3 F and a fresh 8 inches of snow today. It could be a year till I get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-16-2015, 03:31 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Not a year, or house, but I did spend something like six months on a ship stuck in the ice just a few hundred miles from the north pole. Something like 2/3 of the crew got evacuated, leaving a skeleton crew of “volun-told” behind to keep minimal maintenance on the ship till the sun came up and the ice started to break up.
unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:31 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, I may be on self imposed house arrest this week with the weather that we are currently getting! Maybe I should wait a few days to answer this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Being stuck underwater in a 400 foot long 30 foot diameter pipe with 125 or so of your closest friends is the closest I have come to house arrest. No sunlight or fresh air for 60-90 days and your only contact with the outside world was a 28 word long family gram 6 times during the deployment.
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
Being stuck underwater in a 400 foot long 30 foot diameter pipe with 125 or so of your closest friends is the closest I have come to house arrest. No sunlight or fresh air for 60-90 days and your only contact with the outside world was a 28 word long family gram 6 times during the deployment.
I have to admire anyone that could do that. I'd freak out in a day or less. Thanks to all the sub folks that can endure that type of duty.

I got a tour of the USS Enterprise(aircraft carrier, not a star ship) back in the 60's. The cabins made me panic. If I understand correctly, they were like luxury suits compared to a sub.

House arrest would seem like a party compared to sub duty for me! EDIT TO ADD) I don't think I'd be allowed to serve, more of a hazard than adding any value.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
...After 3 days, I get out of the house no matter what, even if it is just to the front steps to shovel.

...More than 3 days ? I'd go crazy crazier without the internet or fun human contact.

It is now DAY 3...
Old 02-16-2015, 05:54 PM   #30

I would be extremely unhappy. If I have a little bit larger backyard, it may help a bit. Jail and I don't belong together.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:15 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I got a tour of the USS Enterprise(aircraft carrier, not a star ship) back in the 60's. The cabins made me panic. If I understand correctly, they were like luxury suits compared to a sub.

Cabins? LUXURY! There were two of us, sharing a phone booth lying on it's side, in the middle of a hallway...

:-)

M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:08 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Cabins? LUXURY! There were two of us, sharing a phone booth lying on it's side, in the middle of a hallway...

:-)

OK, I was 6 years old. DB was either discharged or coming home for leave. Family went to pick him up, DB would have had one half of the phone booth. He was trying to make DM feel better about his duty. "DM, it's no bad compared to how some of the guys have it." Those thoughts have stuck with me for many years.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #33

I would go nuts. I'm obsessed with walking/hiking/backpacking and traveling. I feel like I am in a race against time to get it all in while I am still physically able.

I spent most of my working life on call and I spent many weekends doing computer upgrades. 80% of my vacation time was spent in the Midwest with my parents. I don't regret the time I spent with my parents, but now I am retired and (sadly) my parents are deceased and this is my time to get out and explore.

I would convert my basement into a gym and I would spend my time continuing to improve my physical abilities so that I could hit the ground running when my year was up.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:59 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Well if you live in a mobile home or RV no problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg House Arrest.jpg (59.8 KB, 4 views)
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote