Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

If You Were Under House Arrest For a Year
Old 02-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If You Were Under House Arrest For a Year

Looking out the sky out my window, at this moment all I see is white with snow. Well, there goes any plan of doing anything outdoors as I'd rather just hunker down and stay in, let it snow, let it snow.

This got me thinking, say if you were under house arrest for a year, would you go stir crazy? What would you do to past the time?

For starters, I'd work on organizing my file folders that haven't been touched for over 10 years
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Think Jack Nicholson in The Shining.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

If I was in house arrest, could Frank come over to visit each afternoon? If so, then it could work out nicely for us.

Otherwise, I don't think I would mind it a bit. It's that INTJ thing I guess. I spend a lot of time at home even without being under house arrest. I'd have to develop a habit of working out in my home gym more regularly, since I couldn't get to the (real) gym.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
This got me thinking, say if you were under house arrest for a year, would you go stir crazy? What would you do to past the time?
Nah, wouldn't go crazy. I just crawl up in my head, it has the greatest entertainment.

Sometimes I go days without talking to anyone or hardly going out already

Of course, some might say I'm already crazy?

One of my favorite movie quotes:

Quote:
Evey Hammond: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:41 PM   #5

Assume no internet connection?

I'd probably be o.k. as long as I could get more books delivered when I finally got through the stacks awaiting me (and the 60 or so already waiting on my kindle). That, plus weightlifting/cardio in the basement, would allow me to catch up on things that tend to slide....
Old 02-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Assume no internet connection?

I'd probably be o.k. as long as I could get more books delivered when I finally got through the stacks awaiting me (and the 60 or so already waiting on my kindle). That, plus weightlifting/cardio in the basement, would allow me to catch up on things that tend to slide....
I assumed, yes for internet connection and you can look out the window.

You just can't leave the house
Old 02-14-2015, 01:32 PM   #7

Not a problem. Assuming DW can go out for groceries, if not then Amazon.com would love me. I would miss going to the gym but I could do calisthenics anyway.

We did stay inside for a week and a half after a 3-foot snowfall a while back and that didn't bother either one of us. A lot of people would be climbing the walls by then.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I assumed, yes for internet connection and you can look out the window.

You just can't leave the house
Buy stock in Amazon, because here I come. Lots of books, lots of TV, DVDs and streaming services like Hulu and Netflix. Probably overdose on MMORPGs while I was at it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:45 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

When I do a job i'm locked into the job site for the duration. I've done as long as 37 days. Some people go crazy before the end of the first week but it never bothers me at all. As long as I have a working wi-fi, and money to get food delivered, I could stay inside forever.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:50 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I could make easily, I'd say the first couple of weeks. But after that would need to keep myself busy to not think about being under "house arrest". To pass the time, I'd be organizing the cupboard to make sure all the canned goods are stacked a certain way
Old 02-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

If 'house' means I can go out in my yard? No problem

No internet connection or TV? BIG problem
Old 02-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I could make easily, I'd say the first couple of weeks. But after that would need to keep myself busy to not think about being under "house arrest". To pass the time, I'd be organizing the cupboard to make sure all the canned goods are stacked a certain way
I do suspect this would bring out the OCD in a lot of people.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I do suspect this would bring out the OCD in a lot of people.
That, and if they weren't before they would be after.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #14

Can I pick the house ? Bill Gates has a little place up in Washington , with a lot of space and things to do. Maybe the Gates residence would do.

P.S. , you can fix the snow problem with a move, but everyplace has good and bad. So cal is about 90 degrees today, but other than the weather, it's not so great.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Just my thinking... maybe someone with knowledge can tell me if I am wrong...

But I think that if you were under house arrest you can still 'get out' for some things.... IOW, you should be able to go shopping for food etc... go to the doc when needed... visit your lawyer (well, maybe not).... I just don't see them not allowing you out ever...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just my thinking... maybe someone with knowledge can tell me if I am wrong...

But I think that if you were under house arrest you can still 'get out' for some things.... IOW, you should be able to go shopping for food etc... go to the doc when needed... visit your lawyer (well, maybe not).... I just don't see them not allowing you out ever...
I think you are talking ankle bracelet territory and traveling with granted permission from probation officer.

But for this "house arrest" I say you are in the house for a year and not allowed out, even to mow the lawn or shovel snow.

Let's assume the house is functional, you won't run out of food and such and it won't burn down.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #17

That would be relatively easy. Now this young lady had it tough -

Woman who escaped Rwandan genocide becomes U.S. citizen - NY Daily News
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:43 PM   #18

I would go absolutely nuts because I couldn't do what I want to do when I want to do it. I am an introvert control freak!

Just got through replacing most of the windows in our house and I went nuts. The first week, DH was out of town on business; week 2 he worked from home a couple of days and I was able to run errands during the day. By week 3 I was so angry that I was house-bound I am questioning how I'm going to get through the rest of the remodeling...
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:01 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Sure I could do it. I enjoy online learning, reading books, netflix (documentaries, movies, tv shows), video/computer games. We routinely don't leave the house for a few days at a time.

Social interaction would be tricky. We invite people over quite a bit so if that was still allowed I think we would be okay for a year (assuming internet still worked).

I would probably miss being out in the woods more than anything, although we can see quite a bit of wildlife from our house.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

i wouldn't last very long. During a cold snap, i barely made it 2 days without going out. i have to be outside at least a couple of hours a day.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote