If You Were Under House Arrest For a Year

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Looking out the sky out my window, at this moment all I see is white with snow. Well, there goes any plan of doing anything outdoors as I'd rather just hunker down and stay in, let it snow, let it snow.

This got me thinking, say if you were under house arrest for a year, would you go stir crazy? What would you do to past the time?

For starters, I'd work on organizing my file folders that haven't been touched for over 10 years :(

If I was in house arrest, could Frank come over to visit each afternoon? If so, then it could work out nicely for us.

Otherwise, I don't think I would mind it a bit. It's that INTJ thing I guess. I spend a lot of time at home even without being under house arrest. :D I'd have to develop a habit of working out in my home gym more regularly, since I couldn't get to the (real) gym.

This got me thinking, say if you were under house arrest for a year, would you go stir crazy? What would you do to past the time?

Nah, wouldn't go crazy. I just crawl up in my head, it has the greatest entertainment.

Sometimes I go days without talking to anyone or hardly going out already :)

Of course, some might say I'm already crazy?

One of my favorite movie quotes:

Evey Hammond: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

Assume no internet connection? :cool:

I'd probably be o.k. as long as I could get more books delivered when I finally got through the stacks awaiting me (and the 60 or so already waiting on my kindle). That, plus weightlifting/cardio in the basement, would allow me to catch up on things that tend to slide....

Assume no internet connection? :cool:

I'd probably be o.k. as long as I could get more books delivered when I finally got through the stacks awaiting me (and the 60 or so already waiting on my kindle). That, plus weightlifting/cardio in the basement, would allow me to catch up on things that tend to slide....

I assumed, yes for internet connection and you can look out the window.

You just can't leave the house :)

Not a problem. Assuming DW can go out for groceries, if not then Amazon.com would love me. I would miss going to the gym but I could do calisthenics anyway.

We did stay inside for a week and a half after a 3-foot snowfall a while back and that didn't bother either one of us. A lot of people would be climbing the walls by then.

I assumed, yes for internet connection and you can look out the window.

You just can't leave the house :)
Buy stock in Amazon, because here I come. Lots of books, lots of TV, DVDs and streaming services like Hulu and Netflix. Probably overdose on MMORPGs while I was at it.

When I do a job i'm locked into the job site for the duration. I've done as long as 37 days. Some people go crazy before the end of the first week but it never bothers me at all. As long as I have a working wi-fi, and money to get food delivered, I could stay inside forever.

I could make easily, I'd say the first couple of weeks. But after that would need to keep myself busy to not think about being under "house arrest". To pass the time, I'd be organizing the cupboard to make sure all the canned goods are stacked a certain way :facepalm:

If 'house' means I can go out in my yard? No problem

No internet connection or TV? BIG problem

I could make easily, I'd say the first couple of weeks. But after that would need to keep myself busy to not think about being under "house arrest". To pass the time, I'd be organizing the cupboard to make sure all the canned goods are stacked a certain way :facepalm:
I do suspect this would bring out the OCD in a lot of people. :)

Can I pick the house ? Bill Gates has a little place up in Washington , with a lot of space and things to do. Maybe the Gates residence would do.

P.S. , you can fix the snow problem with a move, but everyplace has good and bad. So cal is about 90 degrees today, but other than the weather, it's not so great.

Last edited:
Just my thinking... maybe someone with knowledge can tell me if I am wrong...

But I think that if you were under house arrest you can still 'get out' for some things.... IOW, you should be able to go shopping for food etc... go to the doc when needed... visit your lawyer (well, maybe not).... I just don't see them not allowing you out ever...

Just my thinking... maybe someone with knowledge can tell me if I am wrong...

But I think that if you were under house arrest you can still 'get out' for some things.... IOW, you should be able to go shopping for food etc... go to the doc when needed... visit your lawyer (well, maybe not).... I just don't see them not allowing you out ever...

I think you are talking ankle bracelet territory and traveling with granted permission from probation officer.

But for this "house arrest" I say you are in the house for a year and not allowed out, even to mow the lawn or shovel snow. :)

Let's assume the house is functional, you won't run out of food and such and it won't burn down.

Last edited:
I would go absolutely nuts because I couldn't do what I want to do when I want to do it. I am an introvert control freak!

Just got through replacing most of the windows in our house and I went nuts. The first week, DH was out of town on business; week 2 he worked from home a couple of days and I was able to run errands during the day. By week 3 I was so angry that I was house-bound I am questioning how I'm going to get through the rest of the remodeling...

Sure I could do it. I enjoy online learning, reading books, netflix (documentaries, movies, tv shows), video/computer games. We routinely don't leave the house for a few days at a time.

Social interaction would be tricky. We invite people over quite a bit so if that was still allowed I think we would be okay for a year (assuming internet still worked).

I would probably miss being out in the woods more than anything, although we can see quite a bit of wildlife from our house.

i wouldn't last very long. During a cold snap, i barely made it 2 days without going out. i have to be outside at least a couple of hours a day.

Spend the time day trading and come out the other end a million bucks wealthier.

My spices are already alphabetized...:cool:

Living where I do, from December to March I get enough bitter cold and snow to keep me "housebound" for several days at a time. I intentionally have indoor projects lined up for the winter to keep me from climbing the walls. After 3 days, I get out of the house no matter what, even if it is just to the front steps to shovel.

My indoor growing room provides just enough greenery to chase off the winter blues when it gets cloudy for days on end. Besides gardening being my main retirement hobby, it helps to turn on the tabletop fountain and play with the plants. Nice little "greenhouse" to putter around in.

I dislike driving in the snow, so if there is no good reason and/or I don't have cabin fever, I stay home. It's very cozy here in the castle. :D
More than 3 days ? I'd go crazy [-]crazier[/-] without the internet or fun human contact.

-3 F and a fresh 8 inches of snow today. It could be a year till I get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

[FONT=&quot]Not a year, or house, but I did spend something like six months on a ship stuck in the ice just a few hundred miles from the north pole. Something like 2/3 of the crew got evacuated, leaving a skeleton crew of “volun-told” behind to keep minimal maintenance on the ship till the sun came up and the ice started to break up.[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom