If you're a 'cruise' lover, you'll love this article

Having recently been on a ship with 4,000 passengers, the is NO WAY I would get on a ship with 9,000. In fact, we will probably never cruise again.
YMMV

You would never get me on a ship that size. It would be good for the "cruise ship is my destination" cruisers.
One problem is infrastructure overload. For example, Skagway has a permanent population of less than one thousand. The last time we were there on a ship, a Carnival ship was also in port, dumping about 6,000 on the town.
Also many ports cannot accommodate a ship that large. That leaves out almost all tender ports. Imagine how long it take to tender 9,000 cruisers?
Santorini has a problem now, and they are limiting the number of ships at one time. The cable car to the top only handles 36 people at a time!

Last edited:
The biggest ship I was ever on had 1,400 pax, and it was at least three times the size I could ever be comfortable with. That was my first and last cruise on a traditional cruise ship.

You would never get me on a ship that size. It would be good for the "cruise ship is my destination" cruisers.
One problem is infrastructure overload. For example, Skagway has a permanent population of less than one thousand. The last time we were there on a ship, a Carnival ship was also in port, dumping about 6,000 on the town.
Also many ports cannot accommodate a ship that large. That leaves out almost all tender ports. Imagine how long it take to tender 9,000 cruisers?
Santorini has a problem now, and they are limiting the number of ships at one time. The cable car to the top only handles 36 people at a time!

I didn't know Santorini had cable cars. I went there a few times as a kid and rode the donkeys up from the port. :LOL: Oh, didn't get there on a cruise ship either, grabbed a ferry from the mainland.:D Fun times!

DW and I have only cruised twice. DSIL has gone maybe 2 dozen times, so we view her as the family 'expert'. Her opinion is that the 2000 passenger size ships lack some amenities, the 5000+ ships have too many people, and the 3500 size are optimal. That's just one opinion, of course.

These new cruise ships are also known as floating theme parks. :)

I recall having doubts about them, but last year decided to have a family reunion on one. DW & I, plus three children with their families. It was amazing, and we enjoyed ourselves immensely.

DW and I have only cruised twice. DSIL has gone maybe 2 dozen times, so we view her as the family 'expert'. Her opinion is that the 2000 passenger size ships lack some amenities, the 5000+ ships have too many people, and the 3500 size are optimal. That's just one opinion, of course.

+1 That is pretty much the conclusion we have come to.

Cheers!

Her opinion is that the 2000 passenger size ships lack some amenities, the 5000+ ships have too many people, and the 3500 size are optimal.

Oh, oh....the Spanish ship to Lisbon we're boarding a week from today has a passenger capacity of 1,440...hope we can get a bed, and seats at the buffet. ;)

We took our first cruise on Harmony of the Seas, which was the largest cruise ship before Symphony. My biggest fear was that DW and kids would get seasick so I thought the larger the ship the less likely this would occur.

We enjoyed the experience and probably would do it again. The packed environment felt like any urban city, so we didn't mind.

Looking to go on a cruise next year with DGF for the first time (although we have both been on separately in the past many times), so enjoying these posts.

When you think about the ratio of restaurants to passengers on these new ships it's actually much better than on the ships of thirty years ago where you only had the main dining room and possibly a poolside buffet.

When you think about the ratio of restaurants to passengers on these new ships it's actually much better than on the ships of thirty years ago where you only had the main dining room and possibly a poolside buffet.

Yes, but half of them cost an up-charge unless you buy a package that includes them. :mad:

You folks are cruising on the wrong ships...

Only been on two, on two different lines. Both had several (4, 5, 6?) that were an up-charge (average of maybe $25/person).

Doesn't matter, after being on a ship with 4,000 passengers, you could not pay DW enough to go on another ocean cruise.

I'd rather rip my own fingernails out......and then fly instead.
We had the joy of taking the Celebrity Millenium on its last cruise before refit. "That fixture looks like it is about to fall out! All will be fixed after you leave!" "What about the towel rack in the bathroom?"

I agree with Dr. Roy on the size issue.

Back
Top Bottom