Ignore Drip Drip Sound in Washing Machine?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I can hear a dripping from our washing machine--about two drips per minute.

Opened it up, and nothing is wet. All dry underneath, too.

I'm guessing that the valve that shuts off the water leaks a bit.

My genius repair plan is to ignore it and assume that the water won't be able to escape from its normal channels. We pay almost nothing in terms of water usage. Even if the whole thing explodes when we're not home, the water will just drain out the garage (slanted floor).

Reasonable plan?

I can hear a dripping from our washing machine--about two drips per minute.

Opened it up, and nothing is wet. All dry underneath, too.

I'm guessing that the valve that shuts off the water leaks a bit.

My genius repair plan is to ignore it and assume that the water won't be able to escape from its normal channels. We pay almost nothing in terms of water usage. Even if the whole thing explodes when we're not home, the water will just drain out the garage (slanted floor).

Reasonable plan?

When not expecting to use the washer for a couple of days, turn the valves off at the supply end. Then just wait and see if the drip sound continues.

Currently operating on a very similar plan. Great minds, Al!

As someone that's had a washing machine hose burst, get a repairman out to check out the problem.

Life is not worth worrying about putting new floors in your house for a $69 service charge.

It's not going to get better. Why not at least find out where it is coming from (the valve at the wall, the connection hose, or an internal hose/connection/gasket inside the machine, etc). That should only take a few minutes.
If it is a clamp starting to let go or a hose that is bulging/leaking, you can order a new part and just shut down the water between loads. Put it in yourself when the part arrives and suffer very little inconvenience. Also, sometimes the drip is onto something else (a control board, the outside of a solenoid, etc) and can do damage to expensive parts.
I'd check it out, it shouldn't take long to figure out what is happening.

Water leaks scare the heck out of me due to bad experiences. I'd at least make sure it's not going to ruin something when it stops being a drip and becomes a raging torrent of water.

Water leaks scare the heck out of me due to bad experiences. I'd at least make sure it's not going to ruin something when it stops being a drip and becomes a raging torrent of water.
This.

But then, if it is in the garage (see original post), then one can wait a while for the leak to get worse and easier to locate.

If the leak is truly "internal" (e.g. into the washer tub itself), and if you wash fairly regularly (so that the water gets pumped out while doing the laundry before the tub can overflow), then it might be awhile before anything bad happens. But if left long enough, the drip could overflow the tub and, I suppose, damage any innards of the machine underneath.

Al, if there's no water anywhere underneath, then you are probably right, it's probably a small leak in the valve inside the machine that closes against the water pressure. But it would still be a good idea to fix it.

If the leak is truly "internal" (e.g. into the washer tub itself), and if you wash fairly regularly (so that the water gets pumped out while doing the laundry before the tub can overflow), then it might be awhile before anything bad happens. But if left long enough, the drip could overflow the tub and, I suppose, damage any innards of the machine underneath.

Al, if there's no water anywhere underneath, then you are probably right, it's probably a small leak in the valve inside the machine that closes against the water pressure. But it would still be a good idea to fix it.

Cheap water, no chance of major damage given washer location, no water underneath (you pulled the back and employed flashlight, tipped washer to one side to see if a channel at the base is collecting unseen water, yes). I like samclem's problem assessment. Or maybe possible drip at wall faucet stem(s) making big noise dripping into plastic wall box, then going down the drain?

I've tried the "it will get better by itself" approach a number of times and, maybe due to my luck, it has never worked out. I'm with samclem and say find the source or as a minimum shut off the water every time you finish washing.

The shut off valves are not designed tor opening and closing often. If you do that, they will begin to leak if they are not the culprit. Then you will have two issues to fix!

I would try shutting off the hot and cold individually to isolate the leak. You may have to replace one of the valves.

Your default plan might be ok if you are home every day. Imagine a situation where water sprays everywhere, soaking the sheet rock behind the washer...

The only acceptable DRIP is in the financial world , dividend reinvestment program.

Those washing machine valves are inexpensive. I would replace it if it were in my house, unless outside. While you at at it, replace the hook up hoses if over 5 years old, even if the look good on the outside.

Just my OP.

Last edited:
My washer had a drip like that, it was a speck of dirt preventing the washer's cold water value from closing completely. The droplets would slowly gather in the bottom of the washer basket. The dirt would clear itself after a cycle, then recur later. I put a grit filer in the water supply line and the problem went away.

It is the DW's rule to shut off water to washers after every day/or when leaving the house.

Thirty-five years ago while employed as an assistant home ec teacher, school was cancelled after Thanksgiving vacation. The first floor was flooded with water when the hot water hose burst sometime over the 5 day break. The home ec lab got a good steam cleaning anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom