Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I watched a video on the weather.com channel about Ike evaucation and the newscaster said only about 50% of the population in Galveston has evacuated. Geeze. That would be bad news. Can anyone confirm that with a local news report?
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I watched a video on the weather.com channel about Ike evaucation and the newscaster said only about 50% of the population in Galveston has evacuated. Geeze. That would be bad news. Can anyone confirm that with a local news report?
I hope that's not true! It could be catastrophic.

Surely it isn't true. Even New Orleans was able to evacuate 95% of residents for Gustav. And didn't the governor or mayor or someone in Texas say that those who remain in coastal 1-2 story homes face certain death? That would scare me silly.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Borrowed link from CR@ DVDT shows live cameras at Galveston. I couldn't get the videos to work in Firefox unless I used "View Page in IE Tab"

Live News Cameras Hurricane Center | Live Streaming Video | Live News
Mike1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just got this email:

The PD is being put on “stand-by” this weekend until Monday. This means , if called, they are to report to the station within one hour. If the city sets up an emergency operations command post at the fire department or in the city hall basement, the PD would also like to have VIP volunteers to help man the command center.

If you want to be considered to respond with the PD, please let me know so that I can put you on a call list. As I am sure you know, if your roof has blown off, you will not be expected to respond.

I live north of Dallas. I guess we have to be ready.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #45

Can't confirm that number, but on local tv there are idiots wandering around the streets, and there is what looks like a hurricane party at some bar. A lot of the people appear to be 20 somethings, more male than females, and drinking. DW said the officials should go around with a sharpie and require them to write their next of kin on their body.

The problem here is going to be storm surge. Dr. Neil Frank, he use to head the National Hurricane center, said the storm surge will be closer to a Cat 4 storm.

For Rita, the news media spooked everybody and we had lots of folks evacuate that did not have to and should not have. It caused mass traffic jams. There were stories of 12 hour waits to go 60 miles or less. This time I think some officials played down this storm in hopes more people would shelter in place. However, many that should have evacuated did not get scared. Galveston ordered a partial evacuation Wed. West end of the Island. That not protected by the Sea Wall (approx 14' high) Now storm surge is predicted to be 14 to 17 feet or higher. It is topping the sea wall and they expect the entire Island to be flooded. The Sea Wall was built after the Storm of 1900 and the Island was raised about 17'. They have never had a surge top the sea wall. So how do you say 'A false since of security'
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
The problem here is going to be storm surge. Dr. Neil Frank, he use to head the National Hurricane center, said the storm surge will be closer to a Cat 4 storm.
Dr. Neil Frank is very, very experienced and knows what he is talking about, and were I in that area then that would be enough to inspire me to run like the wind.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I tried to locate a link or the video on weather.com or cnbc for this but couldn't find one. I think I probably misunderstood. Here's an article that says that "some" in the Galveston area have not evacuated.
One death, many rescue efforts as Ike's surge hits | Front page | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone. Now I'm going out to fill my car with gas.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Army Reserve Lt ( her Grand daughter's hubby) - release from Katrina Wednesday - called back last night for Friday.

New Orleans.

My old part of the swamp has 6-8 foot of water outside the levee.

heh heh heh - . Gas panics in LA and TX - we start driving to Nags Head from KC in the morning - Hmmmm - $5.05 is the rumor in New Orleans - I just payed $3.49 here. Note that Houston was on our short list after Katrina but not after Rita. I too got my fingers crossed for those in harms way.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
My old part of the swamp has 6-8 foot of water outside the levee.
According to Bob Breck, 5 minutes ago, tides are 5-7 ft above normal overall. Storm surge in Lake Ponchartrain is 3-5 feet.

Of course, different areas can differ but hopefully this will give you an idea of what we have, generally speaking.

Highway 90 is flooded in New Orleans East; looks like 1-2 feet over the road, and it is blocked off. They say it has a maximum of 4 ft of water over it on down the road. Also Venetian Isles is flooded (as always).

Old 09-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

In a news conference with the mayor of Galveston within the last 2 hours, it was stated that 40% of the residents of Galveston are probably still there.

I-45 Freeway going north out of Houston is essentially totally empty, so if you want to evacuate, you can probably go 100 mph for quite a ways.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #51

man that is one ugly storm. news just said the hurricane force wind zone is some 200 miles wide & could produce a 20 ft stormsurge with another 10 feet of waves breaking ontop that.

i wouldn't worry about evacuating to escape the wind as long as i didn't have a tree over me (i've got about 8 of them, yikes). but i think people do not realize the power of water. it is just water, after all. it doesn't hurt you when it splashes you. you can even float in it. they should have played more pictures of the latest tsunami for those who decided to stay. it's not just the water, it's that floating house that's gonna crush yer skull.

"nothing in the world is more flexible and yielding than water. yet when it attacks the firm and the strong, none can withstand it, because they have no way to change it. so the flexible overcome the adamant, the yielding overcome the forceful."~~tao te ching, thomas cleary translation

edit: 40% still there huh? this is what they just put on our local news concerning the expected storm surge:

"galveston island will temporarily disappear"

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:11 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The local CBS affiliate (digital channel 5.1) has a weather broadcast on digital channel 5.2. This afternoon they took the weather channel off the air and replaced it with a tie-in to KHOU, the CBS affiliate in Houston. It is interesting to be able to watch Ike through the eyes of the local TV station.

Just showed 85 MPH wind gusts on Galveston Island.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Just showed 85 MPH wind gusts on Galveston Island.
We've had gusts as high as 60 MPH here, today. I don't envy them with gusts that high.

My front yard looks like the city dump - - today was trash pickup day, and there is trash blown all over the neighborhood.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #54

KHOU TV -90,000 people in Galveston did not head warning to evacuate!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #55

NASA - View of Hurricane Ike From Space Station

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #56

Breaking News! 89,000 of those in Galveston are members of some news organization!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #57

Thanks for the good wishes, folks. It looks like southeast Texas is going to need all the luck we can get over the next 18 hours.

What a day. From 9 to about 6, I worked non-stop to button down every possible thing I could. I've got my Rita boards on all of the lower floor windows. Every thing that weighs less than 50 pounds is tied down or in the garage. (With two cars! A miracle in its own right.)

Despite the urgency, it was a typical home improvement day in some respects - I sliced through the cord of my circular saw.

One key decision I made about 1pm - to put boards on the second floor window closest to the big sycamore tree. That damn tree is always shedding something - I just don't trust it to hang on to all of it's limbs. So I went dumpster diving at a construction site a few blocks away and pieced together enough of a plywood panel to make a cover. The story of how it got the the second floor is too long to tell right now...

About three, when I thought I was done, one of my neighbors decided he too was going to board up his windows. We finished about 5:30, after a trek to his storage facility to retrieve the boards he had a handyman cut for him a while back.

Maybe 5 or 10 families have evacuated out of 30 houses on the block. Only four houses are boarded up, though. One will hold three families tonight.

I hope no one regrets not making the trip to Lowe's.

A few weird things about today. This morning our dog was very agitated, barking for no apparent reason. Working outside, I noticed late in the morning that there were no birds or squirrels out, even though the winds were very light. Another is that be haven't had a drop of rain yet, even though the winds have been picking up for the last 4 hours or so.

I didn't watch the TV until just a few minutes ago, which brought me back to the 21st century. For much of the day, however, I found myself wondering about how folks 100+ years ago might have sensed something big like this was coming. What an important invention the modern barometer must have been.

No worries now, though. We're tight as a tick here in our little cocoon. The lights are on, the internet is working and the "hunker down" cliches are flying out of the TV. Time for a nap, so I'm awake when big storm reaches 'ol Htown.

Harry
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Harry, take care! when you get power back, let us know how you did.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Breaking News! 89,000 of those in Galveston are members of some news organization!
Thanks for the update. I'll sleep better tonight.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Hang in there Harry...