Join Early Retirement Today

I'll never stop learning,,,
Old 11-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll never stop learning,,,

My LSW thinks I'm nuts when I do stuff like this, but it turned into a great experience. Even if it was only a half hour.

I'm driving down the road on my way to work yesterday and I see about a dozen pickups parked all over this guy's front yard and about 6 or 7 carcasses hanging from stands. Well, bear season ended Wednesday. And besides, that's way too many bear for only 12 guys. Deer season hasn't even started yet. Got me wondering.

So today, when all those trucks were there again, I turned around and pulled in the driveway. I asked forgiveness for intruding, which was readily given. Then I explained my stopping and they all started talking at once. Turns out this is a "tradition" for these guys and their wives. (LOL "Just friends, most of these guys you wouldn't want to admit being related to.") Every Black Friday they butcher at least 6 pigs, 7 this year. ("Well, 6 and a half. Can't give Wally credit for a full growed one.") Then on Saturday they boil up all the scraps to make scrapple and render the fat to make lard.

They had four huge cast iron ketles boiling away when I got there. Guys were picking chunks of liver, kidney and tongue out of the pot to nibble on. And there was liberal amount of liquid refreshment available as well.

I asked a bunch of questions, learned a whole lot, and took pictures with the cell phone. Must have made a good impression. I was invited back next year to participate. ("Just wear clothes you don't care about.")

That's an offer that is too good to decline.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cool. Despite being a city boy, I've read the Foxfire book series from cover to cover multiple times. Love learning about how our rural ancestors survived on the land before Walmart and China-made goods took over!
Old 11-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
Administrator

Excellent story. My father in law would often stop and talk to people who were doing interesting things like that. He could make friends anywhere. It surely enriched his life, and the more reserved among us loved hearing the stories.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Scrapple ,one of the Pa. delicacys.I bet they had shoo fly pie for dessert .Two things I don't miss !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You have seen the movie "Deliverance" haven't you? Did you see a fiddle anywhere?

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you noticed any buttons or pieces of clothing in the pot, don't go there next year.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
You have seen the movie "Deliverance" haven't you? Did you see a fiddle anywhere?
No banjos or fiddles, just a bunch of "good ol' boys" and their women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
If you noticed any buttons or pieces of clothing in the pot, don't go there next year.
One guy made a wise crack about his old lady being in one of the kettles, but he couldn't remember which one. When one of the others mentioned the uniform and that I worked for the prisons he was pretty quick to say "That was just a joke, man."