Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Illegal Immigrants - What To Do?
Old 03-26-2006, 12:09 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

There are plenty of unenforceable laws on the books, and it seems that the current situation is a delicate equilibrium of legislation & capitalism.

Although I'd be fascinated by a trial of that Mexican general border-security plan...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2006, 05:34 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

CFB, Canadian Bad Beer, now I know you are a looney tune, anyone who can even use Budweiser and Beer in the same sentence should be sentenced to House Imprisonment(Oh Yeah, you already have).

American beer, with the exception of Sam Adams, is drinking chemically induced water.

The best beers are the British and German, most of which are unavailable in North America.. :

My personal beer is Sleeman's Cream Ale, not available in the US.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:09 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm not to cross thread but:

Back in my home brew days (before 'yer stinking up the house!') - I used to trade best effort samples with a Brit at work. To put it mildly his concept of good and bad taste was er ah somewhat different. Sam Adams is best left to Sam Adams drinkers.

Now MR Scroeder way way back who got me going (before kits were availible) made a decent mild beer.

heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:08 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I had an interesting sideline in my job for a few years. On occassion, vehicles would get seized at the Minnesota/Ontario or Minnesota/Manitoba border. I represented Canadian lenders who had security interests in the vehicles get those vehicles back from the US.

I was surprised at how many of the vehicles were seized because they were transporting illegal aliens. People from Scotland, England, Ireland, Russia, and a variety of European countries. No idea why they were coming here.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:18 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
No idea why they were coming here.
Probably for the lutefisk...

Old 03-26-2006, 09:07 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

People from Scotland, England, Ireland, Russia, and a variety of European countries.*
Several years ago I was working with a firm in Alaska when a reference was made to their Russian accountant : There I learned that natives near the Artic Circle had been ignoring national borders for a long time in the belief that these were issues of others.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:11 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
In some parts of the country, it is becoming politically problematic to oppose illegal immigration.
Am I the only one here who finds this statement alarming? *It's politically a problem if you are against an illegal act? *This is rediculous, and if true, is a sure sign that this country is broken beyond repair.

If we have a problem with cheap labor, fix the legal immigration system...make it more efficient and streamlined while protecting our country. *Build a wall/fence along the southern and northern borders and keep illegals out. *Once they figure out they can't get in, they'll stop trying and maybe they will force a revolution in their own countries to make things better for themselves.

This country can't continue to grow in population. *We are $9 trillion in debt and with the coming retreat of cheap available fossil fuels (Google "peak oil" or read "The Party's Over" or Twilight in the Desert" if you want to learn more about what we are facing in the next decade and beyond), our economy will start to tank and will never recover. *Whether we like it or not, the world is poised to lose billions of people due to overshoot, and they all can't come here to avoid it. *We will be in better shape then some third world countries who will experience mass starvation and war, but we will still be in bad shape, probably worse than the 1930's. *We will most likely find ourselves in the middle of it all unless we can become independent from foreign oil imports which ain't gonna happen with current political and corporate control of the country.

As for those planning their cozy retirements, you may want to consider having a little gold/silver on ths side in the event the banks fail and the dollar hyperinflates...having some real wealth rather than fiat currency and stocks may help in the event we experience the worst.

Sorry for the alarmist post, but I've been doing a lot of reading on this...I hope to God it doesn't materialize but the counter arguements I've run across are statistically weak when weighed against the facts and current human culture.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:13 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just got from the Bahamas on vacation...besides tourism, a big employer is drug trafficing... but the chatter down there lately is that a lot of the former drug runners are now using their super-fast boats to smuggle (illegal) people into the US instead...apparentely it pays pretty good, and the penalties (compared to narcotics) are pretty much a slap on the wrist, so on a risk/reward basis its a booming and profitable business...
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote