Illegal Immigrants - What To Do?
Old 03-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Illegal Immigrants - What To Do?

The political debate has been engaged.

People are in the streets this week-end

I'm torn on this.

I'm a believer in a nation of laws.
We have a law that isn't being enforced and that bothers me.
Whenever I return to this country the immigration guys always look at me like I'm a criminal and I have to prove to them I'm a good guy before they let me back in!

I think business has too much clout - being allowed by the government to really ignore serious enforcement of immigration laws so they can have cheap-afraid labor that pushes wages down so no one legally here wants to do the job.

Then there are the human stories of desperate people coming here to better themselves and their families.

What to do?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Illegal Immigrants - What To Do?
Old 03-25-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Then there are the human stories of desperate people coming here to better themselves and their families.

What to do?
That is the quandry.* What many do not understand is that if we do not provide economic opportunities for destitute Mexicans there will be civil unrest on our southern border.* There is no perfect solution and the problem will not get better in our lifetimes, there is too much of a difference in our standards of living.

Similar problems exist in southern Europe, even on the N. Korea/China border.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien

What to do?
On this board there is only one acceptable thing to do. Proclaim piously that we are a nation of immigrants, that the new immigrants are brave people taking grave risks to get here, and we should welcome them because hey we don't want to pay more for our lettuce. And besides, who has proven that they might become a problem? (Conveniently ignoring roundups of increasingly violent and murderous Latino gangs all around our fair land.).

The other, less popular view is that a nation which can’t control its borders is no nation at all.

IMO, in Amerika government and corporations cooperate to their mutual well being. Neither gives one whit about the citizens of this country.

Ha

Old 03-25-2006, 05:54 PM   #4

Meanwhile companies like Walmart are sidestepping the entire issue and getting their vendors to build Manufacturing Plants in China and India.

The immigrants would rather stay in their own countries with their families and have the jobs come to them. The Walmarts would rather deal with other countries Labor laws and Polution laws than the Unites States.

Shell game. You're watching the Immigrants and the jobs are moving faster!
Old 03-25-2006, 06:10 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Before we debate the solution, what problem were we trying to solve that will be reasonably resolved by any feasibly implemented "solution"?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny
Before we debate the solution, what problem were we trying to solve that will be reasonably resolved by any feasibly implemented "solution"?
Were you ever in congress?
Old 03-25-2006, 06:16 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Nope, I just wanna hear what the problem is.

I've heard healthcare, disease, job stealing, welfare drags, gangs, drugs, all sorts of things that either dont bear out under examination, would happen with or without illegal immigrants, or there are no reasonably implemented solutions.

Interested in if there are any new drums to beat or the same old, tired ones.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:22 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Last night national news story regarding some Cubans who will be deported because they did not step on dry land.* I get totally confused.* On one hand I can watch a zillion Mexicans run across the border without any noticeable efforts to stop them and the Coast Guard catching some Cuban on an inner tube using the fleet . Makes total sense to me.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:45 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

First let me state that there are laws on the books that if followed and enforeced would address the illegal immigrant issue. Specifically, anyone hired must have proof of USA citizenship or other approved legal status to be employed.

Second - I am for the following:
1. The working person in the USA
2. A living wage (this is not the same as the mimimum wage)
3. Employee benefits (health care, 401K etc.)
4. Fair legal immigration
5. I'm willing to pay more for the above

Allowing illegal immigration works against all of the above.

Old 03-25-2006, 07:13 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
First let me state that there are laws on the books that if followed and enforeced would address the illegal immigrant issue.* Specifically, anyone hired must have proof of USA citizenship or other approved legal status to be employed.

Second - I am for the following:
1. The working person in the USA
2. A living wage (this is not the same as the mimimum wage)
3. Employee benefits (health care, 401K etc.)
4. Fair legal immigration
5. I'm willing to pay more for the above

Allowing illegal immigration works against all of the above.
The hospitality industry. the food industry, amongst many others would stop dead in its tracks. New Orleans wouldn't get re-built cause few other than Hispanics are willing to work there. It's addicted to cheap labor and that cannot be reversed. Major changes would cause America's economy to fall off its wheels like France and Germany.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yep. Thats why I'm still waiting to hear what the problem is and how any reasonable legislation will stop it. Whatever "it" is.

The pending legislation increases penalties for things that will continue to happen regardless of what the penalties are, and legitimizes things that are already happening that will happen at the same level with or without legitimization.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:35 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Surprisingly, I agree wholeheartedly with CFB on this one (provided he chooses not to start picking nits, since I think he's hit his bag limit for the day already). Yeah, an influx of poor, unskilled immigrants is tough on our border states, but we are not going to stop the influx and the nation as a whole would suffer pretty severe economic outcomes if we did. This is racism, pure and simple, and the fact that these bills are being put forth now when certain politicians' poll results are really low suggests that this is pandering to a certain party's base.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:09 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I promise not to pick any more nits involving posts you make where you misquote me or disagree with something I never said. From now on I'll just change my posts to actually say what you mistakenly thought I said, so that your subsequent posts disagreeing with what I didnt actually say make sense.

Other than that, you may be right again in this case!

Nobody complains about all those big headed illegal canadians bringing their bad beer down here and putting budweiser employees out of business. And I'd like to see someone crack down on that illegal lutefisk importing into minnesota thats putting our good american lutefisk makers out of business. Whoops, we already blew the budget chasing down people who were making illegal cheese in mexico, smuggling it into the US, and selling it to illegal immigrants.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #14

Quote:
I promise not to pick any more nits involving posts you make where you misquote me or disagree with something I never said. From now on I'll just change my posts to actually say what you mistakenly thought I said, so that your subsequent posts disagreeing with what I didnt actually say make sense.

Other than that, you may be right again in this case!

Nobody complains about all those big headed illegal canadians bringing their bad beer down here and putting budweiser employees out of business. And I'd like to see someone crack down on that illegal lutefisk importing into minnesota thats putting our good american lutefisk makers out of business. Whoops, we already blew the budget chasing down people who were making illegal cheese in mexico, smuggling it into the US, and selling it to illegal immigrants.
God, those hot dogs and gatorade are a volatile mix!
Old 03-25-2006, 08:15 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Eh, just a side note. I read a whole bunch of interesting stuff a while back showing the relative lack of interest in immigration "problems" that result from white "illegal immigrants" vs those of color.

You need some gatorade after all that salt and vinegar...
Old 03-25-2006, 08:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Eh, just a side note. I read a whole bunch of interesting stuff a while back showing the relative lack of interest in immigration "problems" that result from white "illegal immigrants" vs those of color.

You need some gatorade after all that salt and vinegar...
Old 03-25-2006, 08:17 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry. The two statements have nothing to do with each other.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:23 PM   #18

Quote:
I'm sorry. The two statements have nothing to do with each other.
its the salt and vinegar comment that hurts me so much
Old 03-25-2006, 09:41 PM   #19

What gets my attention, is the report of 500,000 people in the streets of LA.
In some parts of the country, it is becoming politically problematic to oppose illegal immigration.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:56 PM   #20

Quote:
The problem is there are politicians in this country who look pretty bad, are facing an election battle, and don't have an issue to get attention.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote