Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Illegal Legal Residence
Old 03-20-2006, 04:38 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

CFB,

You went from Massachusetts to California? You must love too much government and lots of taxes.

setab
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2006, 05:10 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not paying much in CA. Prop 13 fixes my property taxes at what I paid for the house plus a little bit. Few hundred a year in car taxes on three cars. A couple of hundred in income taxes for me and the wife combined.

Plus our governor came back from the future to kill Sarah Connor.

Whats not to like?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:38 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was out to interview at Pt. Mugu last Nov. and paid 8% sales tax on the purchase of a small item.

And your governor should take on Sandra O'Connor cause she'd whip him.

www.retirementliving.com shows CA has 9.3% State tax on the level of div/int income I will have next year.

I may give SF a miss, can't afford those taxes, maybe down to Texas and wrestle with the tarantulas. I had a Mexican Red Knee once and it could have whipped Janet Reno.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:41 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Part of the reason I live in AZ and not CA.* I practiced law in the bay area back in the 80s, since left and resigned the CA bar, which like the rest of the place is made arbitrarily difficult by the state regulators just to let you know how special they are and how honored you should be to have been allowed entry into their "theme-park"!* : (once I knew I would never live there again, I cut all my financial obligations with the place and the idea of ever working there and that turned out to be a good idea.* It focused me on finding a lower hassel/ congested/regulated/status centric place to live, which the AZ desert has so far been).*

The legal and regulatory fascism in california has destroyed whatever appeal it may have once had for me to live there. I would suggest that since there are so many peple living there the level of individual autonomy enjoyed in dealing with your elected officials and the general attitude by all levels of government is hey, maybe you take it or leave it, we just don't care and are not accountable to you silly peasants that make up the California demographic.*

If you want rights and respect, move to a place where you are not lost in the crowded masses and your rights diluted by sheer numbers. For me it was like leaving the third world. Perhaps this is one reason that the state has a net out migration of white middle and well educated demographic into AZ NEV and elsewhere, plus you get that nice home equity severence check as an incentive to return to the United States! 8)

I know many live there. I must have missed something, cause the place never really worked for me.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:05 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEX

The legal and regulatory fascism in california has destroyed whatever appeal it may have once had for me to live there.
The company I once worked for had small printing plants located all over the US. The one plant located in California produced 6% of the company's product volume but accounted for over 60% of the company's workers compensation insurance expenses. Any wonder the plant was closed and production relocated to another state?

Old 03-21-2006, 09:37 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Guys, guys, guys...I was just trying to needle the Bunny a little; didn't mean to enable the "Why I hate California" chorus. Frankly, if my wife would go along with it, I would move there to one of the several wonderful wine areas tomorrow and pour wine happily at some tasting bar for the rest of my days. Of course I would have to rent. Who could afford to buy?

setab
Old 03-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, they're just jealous cuz a bad day here is 50 degrees and rainy

Yep, the income and sales taxes are a little burdensome. Which is why I bury my taxable income and buy a lot of stuff online. AND OF COURSE I WRITE THOSE PURCHASES IN ON MY 540 FORM AND PAY THE TAXES!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #28

Jealous, jealous, hey it's 34 here and a bit nippy but the girlfriend and I are playing hide the cocktail weenie.

So what are you uninhibited Cali types up to? :P
Old 03-21-2006, 02:06 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I hope for your sake that thats not what your GF calls it...

Old 03-21-2006, 02:20 PM   #30

She's from Texas.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
Jealous, jealous, hey it's 34 here and a bit nippy but the girlfriend and I are playing hide the cocktail weenie.*

So what are you uninhibited Cali types up to?* :P
Some how it always comes back to that doesn't it?

setab
Old 03-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
She's from Texas.
Oh I get it. Everyone from texas has a little cocktail weenie.

That explains a lot.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Hmm, well just to chime in on the thread hijack, I live in San Diego, CA and I'm loving it. Like CFB said, Prop13 keeps the property tax down, and the weather can't be beat (keep quiet, Nords I'm not talking to you ).

So I'm on a business trip to Long Island right now, and today was the big day, and once again I slew the beast and made the customer happy, and the local site inquired (so did the customer, for that matter) if I was interested in moving to the area and working for them. More pay, more prestige, could buy a bigger house for less money.....and I thought back to walking out of the hotel yesterday morning and having a snow flurry hit me in the face, smiled and said, "nah, I think I'm good, thanks!"
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote