Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
... I pay $300 a month year round . I'm on a budget plan . My house is a large three story with lots of windows . As soon as the market picks up I'm downsizing .
Amen to that! Also on the budget plan -- we pay $256/mo to cool/heat this behemoth: 4700 sq ft...three furnaces...three A/C units (thank goodness for this as it allows us to fine tune the heating/cooling by zones.) Cannot wait to downsize!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #22

I stuck 2 window A/C's in last Wednesday, when it was mid'70's outside. Thursday the heat & humidity arrived, and hasn't let up yet...several 90° days with 65-80% humidity. We keep the house at around 72°, though I sometimes notch it down to 70° in my bedroom at night. Normally our summer electric bills average around $80-$90......excessively hot/humid years it might push up $10-$20 beyond that. IIRC, the highest bill we've had was around $115. Our house is about 1250 sq.ft., and we only A/C about 1000 sq.ft. of it.......we don't cool our utility room because we don't spend hardly any time out there, except to toss a load of clothes in either the washer or dryer.

If it cools down nice at night, and the humidity is low, we shut the A/C off, open the windows, and turn on our whole house fan. Then if it doesn't get excessively hot & humid the next day(s), we'll close the house up, close the shades, and just use a couple of small fans to circulate the air in the house. And fortunately it looks like we maybe able to do that this week!!!

Although I wilt in the heat & humidity, our gardens have been lovin' it!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #23

I finally broke down and turned on the A/C too. When the inside temp breaks 82 F even with windows open I caved. So we turned on the A/C to 79 during the day, 78 at night with a ceiling fan on.

For the first time since we moved we didn't have electricity for more than about 20 minutes - DW was without power for seven hours while I was out. That storm tore up some power lines!
Old 06-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I keep my A/C on 69 during the night ( I need to be cold to sleep well! :) and 75 during the day (My A/C rarely comes on during the day except when it is 95 outside like today). Electric bill usually around $100-130 a month during the summer.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My electric level billing is $25/mo; down from $29 previous year.

I was way ahead this year until this week; in May had two days of 3KWH.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I let the temperature go up to 85 while I'm at work. But when I am home, I turn it down to 78-80 and then down further to 72-73 at bedtime. These are the temperatures that are most comfortable for me.

However if I have been out working in the garden, or at the gym, I'll turn it down to 75 for an hour or so while I cool off. Then back up to 78.

My last electric bill was $78, which I think is pretty reasonable for a non-leveled bill at this time of the year. I guess we will get hit with the higher energy prices later in the summer.

As an aside, it has been hot in New Orleans lately with oppressive humidity. This is how we know we are living in New Orleans. Our frequent summer rains that cool things off have not yet begun.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post

And I agree, it's just too hot for the beginning of June, even for here in the South...
I agree. Feels like late July. Looks like a long hot summer here in Mississippi.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

We've been in the mid to high 90s every day since May 18. Except for a couple of days when it cracked 100. We've had about eight record highs in the last three weeks.

Our electric bill is really gonna suck next month.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:16 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
We've been in the mid to high 90s every day since May 18. Except for a couple of days when it cracked 100. We've had about eight record highs in the last three weeks.
Yep. Equally as depressing are the new records we've set for high 'low' temperatures. A couple of mornings last week the low was 79...
Old 06-08-2008, 07:20 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Here in the sunny NW the heat still comes on each morning and each evening, as well as all days some days. But it is turning sunny today, maybe spring if not quite summer is on the way.

There almost seems to be a pattern- if the summers elswhere are scorching, it's cold and wet up here.

Ha
Old 06-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
There almost seems to be a pattern- if the summers elswhere are scorching, it's cold and wet up here.
Ha
I'm movin' to Seattle!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I like it warm and I live alone so I don't have to care about other people. Saturday it was mid 80's with 60%+ humidity and I didn't even consider turning on the fan let alone the a/c. Summer should be very cheap for electricity; maybe $60/mo even when it gets mid 90's with high humidity it'll be under $100.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #33

It is 84 degrees in our house right now and it is very humid outside. Our downstairs is cool and that is where my DH remodeled this winter. They built in some walls and I think that maybe the cool air returns are not big enough or are not located where they should be located. I am getting up early tomorrow and calling the AC man first thing. I am going to have him check it out and check the freon. I wonder how long it will be before he is able to get to us though. I am sure that he will be busy. It is supposed to be 95 degrees tomorrow in our part of WV and very humid. It seems that winter is over and we get a very short time of spring and then these hot humid days arrive. I wish that spring lasted longer. Also, at this stage of the game, I don't even care how much the electric bill would be, I just want some air conditioning!
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:27 PM   #34

about 74 degrees during the day when i'm home
79ish when i'm not home
68ish at night (hybernation setting)

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:13 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

92 degrees yesterday in NE Ohio. We have our A/C set for 78 during the day and 72 at night. What in God's name did people do before A/C? Don't answer that!
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:58 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Saturday it was mid 80's with 60%+ humidity
Luxury.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

93F outside here, 82F inside.
No AC at my house, electric bills average under $35/month year round.

(Not retired (yet) but working from home).
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

We are finally getting "dry heat" here. Over 100 degrees, and out mowing the grass this weekend in the middle of the day. I kept thinking how it didn't really feel that hot. Then I noticed the humidity was very low. It felt like mid to high 80's and high humidity. With the dry heat, it doesn't feel half bad sitting outside on the porch in the shade, even with 100 degree weather, as long as there is a breeze blowing.

We usually have highs in the 90's here with 80%+ humidity on bad days. Hot, sticky weather that is uncomfortable. The kind that leaves you soaking w/ sweat after running from air conditioned car to air conditioned house!
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
86F inside and out, but lower humidity; maybe won't turn it on today.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Forgot to bring a sweater to work this morning, and I'm so cold. I'm drinking hot tea and the hot mug is warming my hands.

After work, going outside will be such a change it will be almost hard to breathe. The air will be hot, heavy, and humid like a rain forest.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote