Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Had a fire in the woodstove this morning.

TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Four o'clock, 89F, breezy, low humidity; no A/C today.

"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Posts: 4,764 on..burn baby burn..supposed to hit 97 today..oh no..
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #44
Well, I was not able to have our regular HVAC person come to the house today, since we still have some air. I called another one and they came and said that we need a new air conditioner. Ours is 13 years old. Ours is a 10 seers and from what I am reading the 13 seers will save approximatly 30% in energy. I am going to call around a few places tomorrow for estimates and warranties. He gave me a quote of $3850.00. I have a medical test at 7:30 and my monthly retiree luncheon is at 11:30. How did I ever have time to work? I remember the days when I would always have a sweater at work, because I was freezing due to the air conditioning. I prefer it hot to extremely cold.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:48 AM   #45
103 F when we left my little sister's house in northern VA yesterday, dropped to 96 by the time we got home. Must be all that pavement in the area near Dulles Airport reflecting heat. She had a large tree branch in the back yard that tore off in a storm, she's FIRE'd, and getting ready to sell her house and move to DE.

Drove the pickup with the chain saw & 5 hp shredder, the work took about an hour (dripping sweat when done) then we went to lunch with DW and the other sister. Found gas at $3.87 on the way back, better than the $4.09 it is locally.

DW was wearing a sweater in the pickup on the way back - that GMC has a great air conditioner!

Supposed to be mid-80's the next few days, I'm going fishing on the river.
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:15 AM   #46
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
If it cools down nice at night, and the humidity is low, we shut the A/C off, open the windows, and turn on our whole house fan. Then if it doesn't get excessively hot & humid the next day(s), we'll close the house up, close the shades, and just use a couple of small fans to circulate the air in the house. And fortunately it looks like we maybe able to do that this week!!!
That's what we do, but its never humid in the summer in our central CA home. The 10ft veranda going all the way around except the north side, where the garage is, helps keep us cool also. When we are there (going next week...yippeee!), we rarely turn on the A/C before 4 or 5 pm, and it goes off by 8 or 9, when the whole house fan comes on. That's when it is in the hi 90s low 100s. We turn on the WH fan again early in the morning to bring the cool overnight air in...bring the temp down to about 68-70 and then close up the house when the outside and inside temp are equal. It stays in the low to mid 70s until time to turn on the A/C.

Electric bill? Even with A/C and pool (filter and cleaner run 5-6 hrs daily year-round), we pay only a $4.95 a month interconnection fee...gotta love that solar! Neighbors are running between $400 with no pool, to ~700 a month with a pool...their A/Cs are already running in the morning when my whole house fan is bringing in the cool air. The house is a bit too big, but we love it.

Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote