Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2016, 03:17 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was the age of the GS cookie sellers, I don't think anyone added that stuff to food. But they did serve green jello with all kinds of odd ingredients in it and called it salad.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #42

DW's grandniece is in Girl Scouts. When sales started last year I knew it was gonna be bad when DW said "Don't take the car, we'll need the truck".

Old 01-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I would kill for Thin Mints. Those cookies are SO good. I'd buy a box of Thin Mints. A bunch of them. A wheelbarrow full. .
Thin Mints are the best. Bring them on.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:45 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Just add a little palm kernel oil and sprinkle on some soy lecithin and you'll be fine!
I agree. Your comments about the other ingredients struck home. I've not been eating that way anymore. Maybe I'll pass on the GS cookies and make another of Grandma Opal's apple pies.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:49 PM   #45

I LOVE cookies but also love my waistline so I have to exercise moderation. DH and I bake them for the church coffee hour so we don't have dozens in the house. Once you get used to homemade, the chemical aftertaste and the sometimes-greasy texture of the packaged version make them easy for me to turn down.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:58 PM   #46

The local council only increased the price from $3.50 to $4/box. The first increase in 7 years so i'll get a box or 20 of Thin Mints.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:07 PM   #47

I bake my own cookies, but for me and I think for others, GS cookies were an integral part of childhood. It takes me back to being about 10 and reading a book under the covers with a flashlight late at night while munching on some GS cookies. Nothing like Thin Mints crumbs in the sheets to ID the guilty party...
Old 01-25-2016, 05:46 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I love to bake and have never been that impressed by GS cookies. I might donate some money but I won't be buying any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyward1 View Post
I don't have much of a sweet tooth and they're not girl scout cookies but I'm hearing good things about the new Cinnamon Bun Oreo's.

But this caught my attention! Say what‽

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-25-2016, 09:14 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1453778014.107339.jpg

I couldn't resist. Plus the little girl at the door has the same name as my daughter so that deserved an extra box.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Years ago I drove through a blizzard with a box of samoas. I survived the samoas not so much .
Old 01-26-2016, 07:59 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

We have 2 granddaughters selling them this year, so we'll buy 5 boxes from each one. They live pretty far away, so we'll pick them up sometime in the future. Just opened the last box of Thin Mints from last year, so we're not big cookie eaters.

Girl Scout Cookies are a long-time tradition, but I tend to agree with athena53 in post #32. Think the Girl Scouts should have branched out and started offering popcorn or all that fruity stuff Harry and David are always pushing around Christmas. Obesity is a real big problem in America, and the Girl Scouts aren't providing much of a solution.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:06 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
When I was the age of the GS cookie sellers, I don't think anyone added that stuff to food. But they did serve green jello with all kinds of odd ingredients in it and called it salad.
DH is old enough (77) to remember when the Girl Scouts baked their own cookies to sell. I'm sure the quality varied wildly, but I like the "homemade" aspect!

Yes, they put some pretty weird stuff in jello in the 1950s and 1960s. There was one Web site devoted to awful recipes from that era and most contained jello. They sure had great marketing people.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #53

They keep well in the freezer,BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Last year I was accosted outside the grocery store by the Girl Scouts. I purchased a case of Thin Mints in self defense.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:18 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Just say no. If you want to support the Girl Scouts, write 'em a check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I try to watch what I eat but I also want to support the Girl Scouts. I just give them a donation.

With the exception of GS cookies we often try to do that. But it's not always that easy. With six grandkids we've seen it all and have always tried to support in some way. More and more often we're seeing those deals where you order online through a third party. Instead of paying $14 for two ounces of cashews that we don't need anyway, we look to see if they offer a "cash donation" pass-thru. Often they don't. And yes we can just donate directly to the school or whatever but then our grandkid misses out on getting the credit (for whatever that's worth.) So it's a case-by-case thing at our place.

As for the GS cookies, they know they can each count on us for a few boxes. And I hate to admit but off-season I've been known to very occasionally fall victim to the Thin Mint & Samoa knock-offs at Aldi.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Do the girl scouts a favor...go to walmart and buy the keebler cookies that taste exactly like girl scout cookies. I think walmart has their brand also...cheaper and also taste great.

Then when a girl scout comes to your door hand them a couple bucks and tell them to keep it. The GS get pennies on the box...its sad.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Oh, yummy. Corn syrup, high-fructose corn syrup, corn syrup solids, palm kernel oil, whey, soy lecithin... how come I never find these ingredients in the cookie recipes that DH and I enjoy baking? I can't get over the cult following GS cookies have when they're as loaded with artificial ingredients and preservatives as any other junk food in the grocery store aisles.

Just say no. If you want to support the Girl Scouts, write 'em a check.

This post inspired me to try making my own batch of thin mints. I don't why, but it never occurred to me before. So today, while watching the Super Bowl, I made a batch. Still need to wait for them to cool, but so far they look good and preliminary testing says they are also tasty.

Thanks Athena!

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1454903530.986557.jpg
Old 02-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #58

Are they frosted? Recipe??
Old 02-07-2016, 10:32 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Are they frosted? Recipe??

Dipped in semi-sweet chocolate. I used the following recipe: http://leitesculinaria.com/97036/rec...hin-mints.html

I used regular all-purpose flour, butter, and less sugar (1/2 a cup).

I also tried cutting them instead of rolling out the dough, but that didn't work well. So I ended up hand forming them, which gets hard when the dough gets warm. Next time I'll roll out the dough and use a cookie cutter. This will give them a more consistent shape, unlike the batch I have.

I haven't tried them yet, but my wife tried them when I was dipping them in chocolate and said they were tasty. I'm waiting for them to cool down and the chocolate hardens.