I'm doomed. My doorbell rang tonight

rodi

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
And it was a neighbor kid selling girl scout cookies.

Oh how I love thee, Do-si-dohs!

The girl scouts in our new neighborhood found out we have a weakness for GS cookies. We're on their radar now. :LOL:

Around here they are not allowed to start selling until February 1st. Sounds like someone might have jumped the gun to squeeze out the competition. I'm already on the hook for four boxes of thin mints from two different cookie pushers.

I would kill for Thin Mints. Those cookies are SO good. If I had less of a problem with being overweight I'd buy a box of Thin Mints. A bunch of them. A wheelbarrow full. :2funny:

But alas, instead I must endure the sad disappointed eyes of Girl Scout after Girl Scout at my door, once they start showing up this year.

In just over a week, girl scouts will be set up in front of every grocery store and big box outlet enticing you to buy their wares. You won't have any problem finding a girl scout to feed your addiction, trust me.

Apparently our GS council started sales yesterday. I've got 5 different girlscouts on my street within 5 house in any direction.

Of note - they are more expensive this year. $5/box. (I think it was $4/box last year).

And my sons (who each purchased boxes with their own money) say there are fewer cookies. I have not opened my freshly purchased box yet.

I haven't bought girl scout cookies since I retired. There are no Girl Scouts in my area; when I was working their mothers made the rounds of the offices every year.

For many years we had two Girl Scouts and a Girl Scout leader in the house (now all graduated). In the spring we would have a garage full of cookies to sort and distribute to the girls, and to sell in front of the supermarket. I would also take annual orders at the office, and even deliver the cookies to overseas offices on business trips.

My favorites are Samoas!

My daughter was in GS for 2 selling seasons.... the second was the one that got her out of it...

I had told my daughter to make double sure that she got paid for all cookies... (the previous year we made people pay when they ordered and no problem)... well, you guessed it, someone said they paid and had not... the GS troop said we had to pony up the money from our own pocket... :mad::mad::mad:

Well, no I do not!!! Then when we tried to reconcile they said we had ordered a couple more boxes than we really did.... I had not paid attention to the orders and deliveries, but thought that this little scam that GS does is not for my daughter...

BTW, the GS troop did almost nothing that my sisters did when they were in GS... it was more of a get together and do projects... merit badges were 'let's go to a restaurant and see how they prepare food' or 'let's go visit the major and listen to a speech'..... only once in two years did they go camping..... and my DD could not go as she was doing something else...

BUT... DW shelled out money for GS cookies :facepalm:

Apparently our GS council started sales yesterday. I've got 5 different girlscouts on my street within 5 house in any direction.

Of note - they are more expensive this year. $5/box. (I think it was $4/box last year).

And my sons (who each purchased boxes with their own money) say there are fewer cookies. I have not opened my freshly purchased box yet.

I would not care if they were $20.00 a box .I need my Samoa fix !

We had daughters of co-workers taking pre-orders before the official sale starts Feb 1. They were still charging $4 per box, so perhaps there is some local option on price.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth and they're not girl scout cookies but I'm hearing good things about the new Cinnamon Bun Oreo's.

I just checked the local council website - our sales did start TODAY.
2016 Girl Scout Cookie Program: Sunday, Jan. 24-Sunday, March 6
About Girl Scout Cookies | Girl Scouts San Diego

I also found out that the price is determined by the councils. And apparently 2 councils in CA decided to raise the price to $5... and pretty much every other council in CA jumped onboard. Some councils in MA also bumped up to $5.

I would kill for Thin Mints. Those cookies are SO good. If I had less of a problem with being overweight I'd buy a box of Thin Mints. A bunch of them. A wheelbarrow full. :2funny:

But alas, instead I must endure the sad disappointed eyes of Girl Scout after Girl Scout at my door, once they start showing up this year.

We've loaded up on thin mints in past. We put them in the freezer and eat them frozen through out the year. Very tasty.

Around here they are not allowed to start selling until February 1st. Sounds like someone might have jumped the gun to squeeze out the competition. I'm already on the hook for four boxes of thin mints from two different cookie pushers.

Interesting. I was hit up at my front door over a week ago on Saturday Jan 16! Wonder if there was a little illegal early-bird shenanigans going on? Perhaps my silence can be had for a mere box of Do-Si-Dos?

Edited to add: Apparently, according to my local chapter's Twitter feed, sales started on January 9!

Last edited:
Yeah, here in Silly Valley everything is premium priced, not just the real estate. Neighborhood politics force my hand every year, even at $5.00 a box. Girl Scout Councils have Twitter feeds?

Thin mints and cold milk...but I've been bad for the last couple days. I've got to chill out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Hey, I'd not only buy, but consume the entire box in a single gorge fest.

Yeah, it's easy to munch through first one and then a second cellophane sleeve of Thin Mints...

Back
Top Bottom