I'm going to miss the Daily Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you didn't like Stewart...it's probably because you didn't agree with most of his point of view. If you don't like Fox....it's probably because you don't like the point of view that they come with. People like to watch shows that fall into line with what they believe in, the other shows are deemed skewed to the "wrong" side and unfair. I always thought he should have spent more time zapping the Dems, but with the Reps feeding the media with so many easy jokes......comedians go where the easy jokes are found.

What I was so impressed by was the number of entertainers who got their start on his show. Also the number of staff that helped to produce the show. That is truly the measure of the man. Plus I think he stuck to his knitting (except for Rosewater) and seldom appeared on other shows to promote his own.

At first I thought I liked JS, but it was actually the supporting roles I admired. Even though I agreed with many of his views, I grew tired of his shtick. When we dropped most of the cable channels I was not interested at all with the show.

Just to be a little pedantic, the Daily Show isn't going away (yet). So really, people are saying they are going to miss Jon Stewart.

That said, being Trevor Noah right now would have been like coaching the Packers after Vince Lombardi, coaching Alabama football right after Bear Bryant or Duke men's basketball after Coach K retires. The expectations may be high, unreasonably high. And I think it's too bad John Oliver wasn't still around because he did a great job filling in for Stewart a while back.

Last edited:
Just to be a little pedantic, the Daily Show isn't going away (yet). So really, people are saying they are going to miss Jon Stewart.

That said, being Trevor Noah right now would have been like coaching the Packers after Vince Lombardi, coaching Alabama football right after Bear Bryant or Duke men's basketball after Coach K retires. The expectations may be high, unreasonably high. And I think it's too bad John Oliver wasn't still around because he did a great job filling in for Stewart a while back.

John Oliver re-signed with HBO thru the end of 2017. If Trevor Noah can't get good rating by then, then they could bring back Oliver to host. I'm going to give Noah at least a few weeks to get me to like him. Larry Wilmore, the guy who replaced Colbert, couldn't get me interested in his show within a few weeks so I stopped watching.

comedians go where the easy jokes are found.

True in general but Stewart states that his show was meant to promote liberal/progressive/Democratic persuasions. It wasn't a matter of going to the "easy jokes." He intended to find material which would demean the opposition and he was honest and forthright about making that clearly understood.

If he had been selling himself as "balanced," then I would have had a problem with his one-sided view of things. But he let you know up front where he was coming from. And that gave him license to cater to the audience attracted to that point of view.

I know nothing about how he really feels towards the world and politics today. But I do know he was a very, very clever fellow in selecting a niche and delivery that won him an audience and an extremely lucrative career. I admire that.

Last edited:
It wasn't a matter of going to the "easy jokes." He intended to find material which would demean the opposition and he was honest and forthright about making that clearly understood.

Huh? He intended to "demean" the opposition? You must know something I don't.

By "easy jokes", I meant that the there were more strange/news worthy behaviours among the Republican party than Democratic.....my opinion of course.

I noticed you avoided answering how you knew he was trying to "demean the opposition".

I think he poked fun at their obvious inconsistencies and hypocrisy, undermining their credibility perhaps, but I can't really remember Stewart engaging in actual personal attacks.

I don't think there's anyone else out there that finds video of politicians saying one thing today, and exactly the opposite in the past. I always appreciated the reminder that most talking heads of any stripe are selling you what they want you to buy today, no matter how hypocritical they're being. Yeah, snarky and sarcastic, but most of the recipients deserved to be called out. I'll miss that.

+1.

When I learned of some big news story during the day, I'd always think to myself, "Stewart's gonna be all over that tonight!" And he was.

I didn't begin watching the show until just after I ERed in late 2008, so I missed everything he did during the Bush years. Too bad, I'd have liked to see that.

I didn't always watch the show's third segment, often a special guest, but for 20 minutes I found him funny and entertaining just before Leno or Fallon began at 11:35.

It was satire but I suspect a lot of folks thought it was a news show. I read somewhere that a notable portion of the population only got their news through him.

Agreed. It always made me shake my head when I'd hear someone say that they got their news coverage from this show (I've heard the same about Colbert). The fact that they didn't understand that this was comedy is pretty troubling.

I noticed you avoided answering how you knew he was trying to "demean the opposition".

You did not ask that question in your post. Go back and read what you wrote.

As I said, Jon is a clever guy who knows how to play to his audience. While I'm not a devoted fan I watched from time to time and he often left me in stitches. But he definitely had an agenda. To his credit he was upfront in that regard.

He was amazingly successful financially and I hope he enjoys ER!

Last edited:
I think Jon Stewart would want us to keep this thread going as a civil discussion, folks.

You did not ask that question in your post. Go back and read what you wrote.

My exact words.... "Huh? He intended to "demean" the opposition? You must know something I don't." Sure looks like a question. I needed to say "Please answer this question?" and not just put it as a question....

OK....I'll bite..... You state he has an agenda.....Could you please tell me what it is/was? I just thought he was a comedian bringing out some serious topics on a regular basis. I didn't know he was trying to bring down any particular person/organisation/country.

I'll answer that question. The Daily Show was satire, and the subject was The Media, most often News Media. Within that scope everyone and everything was fair game.

Satire, by definition, uses irony and ridicule to express social commentary. Not everyone enjoys satire, as we can see from some of the responses in this thread, and a satirical tone is not what we want here at ER Forum.

For that reason, as MBAustin already pointed out, it's probably not a good idea to discuss examples of TDS satire.

Satire, I'm sure, is demeaning to some. If you go to a performance by a comedic satirist, you will probably hear demeaning speech. It's not for everyone.

I just read a transcript of JS interview by Larry King. It's pretty clear which way JS opinions and stance are coming from.

More recent interviews are telling. He seems to have grown tired of his role on the show. Wants to enjoy the kids and life.

He was more than simply a comedian observing the goings on of the world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/29/u...retly-met-with-obama-at-white-house.html?_r=0
WASHINGTON — President Obama has submitted himself for a grilling on the set of “The Daily Show” with Jon Stewart three times. But on at least two occasions, Mr. Obama also secretly met with the comedian on his own imposing turf.
The two meetings — recorded in the official White House visitor log — were first noted this week by Politico. Current and former White House officials confirmed the visits, describing them as efforts by the president and his communications team to tap into Mr. Stewart’s influence with younger voters.

“Jon Stewart was a key influencer for millennials,” said Dag Vega, who worked for several years at the White House developing relationships with media figures. “They relied on him for an honest take on the news, and the president and senior staff know that.”

An "honest take on the news". Sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom