Join Early Retirement Today

I'm gonna need a lot of devil smileys for this one
Old 04-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm gonna need a lot of devil smileys for this one

This was better yesterday when they first started it, before they sold out of a lot of stuff, but I see they keep adding new stuff and there are some nice gift baskets if you're in need of a good generic gift.

Half price chocolate clearance at Amazon!

Amazon.com: : Grocery

Use the promo code "chawclat" to knock 50% off the prices. That makes the Vans gift baskets $24, 25 and 32 with free shipping.

There are also some good baking items if you dont mind bulk, like about 8lbs of butterscotch/vanilla chips and some odd items that look a little interesting like organic dark chocolate bars with hemp seeds.

Keep looking every now and then they toss another item into the sale.

I wicked overbought. After my wife and I were done picking through it and ordering I added up all the weights and I think I bought about 40lbs worth. Most of it in baking stuff for cookies, which we can freeze...thank god. Grabbed a couple of the gift baskets for some upcoming birthdays.

GOD BLESS!!!

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Thanks , I just happen to need a gift basket and at half price Yipee !

Old 04-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
Administrator

Nice, Bunny, but chocolate? I can only eat so much of it or I'd start to balloon. I think your new VPGDX is soooo much more exciting.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

To be truly evil you need to post this in the Wed. Weigh in thread.

Must resist... Spend $500 on a high tech calorie counter don't take advantage of 1/2 of sale.

About to be late for work out class.. Woo hoo I did it.

I hate you CFB!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Am I the only one who doesn't care for chocolate?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yes.

Do a search for "mexican chocolate". They have some of the mexican hot chocolate products still kicking around. Its basically raw chocolate with sugar and cinnamon in a disk you drop into a big coffee cup, add milk and nuke until the milk is hot and the chocolate melts.

The drink of aztec kings. Not a kids hot cocoa and its a bit of an acquired taste but man is it good.

The nestle version is six 19 oz packages for $9. I got the Ibara version yesterday before it sold out.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CFB, I just finished my second "no sugar added rice pudding" b/c I am starving, and you post this thread!

Oh well, I do see a potential upside...what do you all think of giving one of the gift baskets to my MIL instead of the flowers that we do every year for Mother's Day?

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Sorry m'am...

No brainer. I love food gift baskets for gifts, both giving and receiving. If theres more than one person in the house, everything will get eaten. Beats getting socks or a sweater.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #9

Good thing you didnt post a Beef Jerky on sale thread. Id probably fly out of my chair frothing at the mouth.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Gonna need a lot of bat smilies

After I just join Wed. Weigh Ins?

Dr. CFB, we just need to shave your head and put you in a gold suit.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:37 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Good thing you didnt post a Beef Jerky on sale thread. Id probably fly out of my chair frothing at the mouth.
I just get it at costco. Buying chocolate online is one thing. Buying strange mystery meat products is another.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #12

Oh I have a jerky source! Expensive but this stuff is fricken amazing. Just well uh expensive.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Nice, Bunny, but chocolate? I can only eat so much of it.......
Mmmmmm......Chocolate!!!!! We went to Chicago last Thursday with our local community college on tour called "For The Love of Chocolate"! We drank hot chocolate, ate chocolate, went to a conservatory to see a cocoa tree, snacked on chocolate, learned some of the history of chocolate, shopped for chocolate, and ate more chocolate!!!

Most of the chocolate we consumed was dark chocolate.......so it was good for our health!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Mmmmmm......Chocolate!!!!! We went to Chicago last Thursday with our local community college on tour called "For The Love of Chocolate"! We drank hot chocolate, ate chocolate, went to a conservatory to see a cocoa tree, snacked on chocolate, learned some of the history of chocolate, shopped for chocolate, and ate more chocolate!!!

Most of the chocolate we consumed was dark chocolate.......so it was good for our health!!!
Yumm!!! If I ever find out that I am dying of cancer or some such thing, the first thing I'll do is drown my sorrows in dark Belgian CHOCOLATE....

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:26 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Oh I have a jerky source! Expensive but this stuff is fricken amazing. Just well uh expensive.
You know about the guy who does custom jerky over near folsom lake? He lives over by the intersection of green valley and francisco. Has a truck and a wagon but I thought I saw something about him getting a little shop in the lake forest mall either in or across from the safeway. His chuck wagon is natural wood color and has an orange sign.

He's got beef, venison, ostrich, etc.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
You know about the guy who does custom jerky over near folsom lake? He lives over by the intersection of green valley and francisco. Has a truck and a wagon but I thought I saw something about him getting a little shop in the lake forest mall either in or across from the safeway. His chuck wagon is natural wood color and has an orange sign.

He's got beef, venison, ostrich, etc.
No, Ive never heard of him. Remember the name?
Old 04-24-2008, 08:39 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I dont and couldnt turn anything up on a google search, but I've been driving by his house for years and he's often got his cart pushed out on the road selling the stuff. Always meant to stop and try it. Since 1996. So I guess I'm not that impulsive. I guess he's been around forever.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Looks like some new stuff showed up.

Lots of Graffiti Zoo chocolates. All a little bit unusual but very well regarded by more adventurous chocolate eaters. I also see some slightly expensive but very well regarded Dagoba dark chocolate bars.

Looks like those Vans gift baskets are also getting some good reviews. I checked the vans site and the amazon ones are only a little more expensive than the vans shipping charges alone.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Some Jelly Belly stuff just came in too. Heck, ten pounds of JB chocolate bridge mix for about $38...
Old 04-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #20

Woah I just seen they have spam with BACON. Never seen that before.