Join Early Retirement Today

I'm Just RiffRaff
Old 12-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm Just RiffRaff

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...r-Millionaires

I guess I'm just riff raff as one of the users of this site complained. Haven't visited the site mentioned but found the article amusing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

"In the real world, we are each discerning about who we make friends with, who we socialize with. There is no reason why when we come online we should have to socialize with truck drivers etc. from hick parts of the USA."

Nice bunch, eh?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What the heck is hoi polloi?

And, since I had to ask this question, does that mean I am one?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm sure these guys would consider Lexington, Ky one of the "hick" parts of the US, but I rather like it here. Didn't take me too long to determine that it wasn't a place I was interested in becoming a part of. I much prefer the company here.....
Old 12-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzley View Post
I'm sure these guys would consider Lexington, Ky one of the "hick" parts of the US, but I rather like it here. Didn't take me too long to determine that it wasn't a place I was interested in becoming a part of. I much prefer the company here.....
Well, from most parts of Kentucky, like my home city for example, Lexington looks pretty high class. In fact, it is pretty high class.

Ha
Old 12-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Hoi polloi"..."RiffRaff"....Not me! I'm a redneck, a$$hole that is FI and ER'd...and I'm D*MN proud of it!!!! Those upity SOB's can bend over and ki$$ my a$$! I wouldn't hang out with that bunch stuffed-shirt, panty-waists if I had to!!

Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #7

Glad no one invited me to join, because I wouldn't want to spend time there anyway.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:31 PM   #8

Groucho Marx said,
"I sent the club a wire stating, Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member."
Old 12-06-2007, 10:34 PM   #9

Hoi polloi (Greek: οἱ πολλοί), an expression meaning "the many" in Greek is used in English to denote "the masses" or "the people", usually in a derogatory sense. For example, "I've secured a private box for the play so we don't have to watch the show with hoi polloi." Synonyms for "hoi polloi" include "...commoners, great unwashed, multitude, plebeians, proletariat, rabble, rank and file, riffraff, the common people, the herd, the many, the masses, the peons, the working class".[1]

(Straight from Wikipedia)
Old 12-07-2007, 12:01 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Holy smokes, I didn't know that I was in such bad shape. I didn't realize that I should have been miserable all my life.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:22 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

"Well, from most parts of Kentucky, like my home city for example,"

Hey, HaHa. glad to know there's some other KY people on here!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzley View Post
"Well, from most parts of Kentucky, like my home city for example,"

Hey, HaHa. glad to know there's some other KY people on here!
Yeah, we're everywhere.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Hoi polloi! - interestingly , I had it backwards - I thought it meant rich people with a stick up their ass. I vaguely remember my Father using the term a lot growing up.

'Never trust a man without dirt on his hands or with clean fingernails.'

heh heh heh - the tone of the article flies in the face of the contradiction (perception of a millionaire) expressed in The Millionaire Next Door Book. Mark Twains - The Gilded Age also comes to mind.

It's a little snowy and icy this Sunday to go styling with my bib overalls, 250,000 mile pickup with Walmarts rusty metal primer on the passenger fender.

Anybody catch the Tractor Supply ad running lately.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:15 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I enjoy these types. Cheap entertainment. They don't know how much money they make me.

Unclemick: Send me your TSC ad when your finished. My Northern ad didn't have any Liberty's bibs on sale this week......

Hillbilly
Old 12-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Who would want to frequent a forum that has a much higher than normal proportion of millionaires?
Old 12-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Who would want to frequent a forum that has a much higher than normal proportion of millionaires?
? Someone selling Mink fur lined bib overalls ? .

heh heh heh -
Old 12-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #17

it is not just riffraff. it is also the flotsam & jetsam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
"In the real world, we are each discerning about who we make friends with, who we socialize with. There is no reason why when we come online we should have to socialize with truck drivers etc. from hick parts of the USA."

Nice bunch, eh?
while reading another forum and considering participation there i came upon the following post by senior member sailhog concerning a question about mooring off key west...

Quote:
As a young, fit man, you're going to need an automatic weapon to fight off the natives in Key West. I'd suggest that you shoot at their dinks (boats, not their peckers) as they approach. This way you can hack at their fingers with a knife as they try to climb over the rail. If even on manages to get aboard, well... you have two options: either take your own life, or just grit and bear it. Anyway, good night and good luck.
had that poster suggested the young man also hang a noose off the yardarm to ward off african americans--instead of just hacking off the hands of some fags--the moderator might have removed the post, but it has been left in public for all to see yet no one to even comment upon.

even on this well-moderated board, i have already been told to drop dead, my then-recently dead mother was called a bitch and my own words have been taken out of context & used against me.

so as much as by my nature i loathe snobbery, i did quit work so i wouldn't have some certain bastids in my life anymore and i can see the poster's point of not wanting to socialize at my desk with someone who i'd never invite into my living room.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #18

a not uncommon term in minnesota is that the winters keep the riff raft away..didn't stop me though
Old 12-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #19

Bet there's a bunch of millionaires on this forum...
its not what it use to be though...multi helps to differentiate and set apart from the lower levels of millionairedom
Old 12-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
a not uncommon term in minnesota is that the winters keep the riff raft away..didn't stop me though
We use that saying here in IL too. In fact I was out in the sleet and freezing rain today for a while, and didn't see any riff-raff any where! They must have gone south!