Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Most of the coat-hanger antennae on the web are designed for UHF which would explain the issue with the VHF channel.
I use a $14.99 (I could swear I paid less) radio shack VHF/UHF antenna and it works fine inside my home. Of course, my signal strength could just be much stronger than yours, but it is something that is essentially free to check out. The radioshack sales person had no issue with me taking the antenna home to check it out.

Budget TV Antenna : TV Antennas |
Good Idea.

I had tried a similar antenna: RCA Basic Indoor Antenna: Electronics

But the only major network that gave me is FOX. So I ended up returning it.

Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I find TV Fool to be more accurate for me. I live 25 miles from the nearest TV station, but it accurately tells me that stations from a city 78 miles from me will come in better, either due to a stronger signal or better line of sight or both. I use a simple Phillips passive indoor TV antenna. I tried a powered one and it didn't do any better. I still may try an outdoor one some day, but the indoor one is pretty reliable.

I really like it, because even though I have Dish satellite with locals, I just set up my lower level with multiple TVs sharing this inside antenna so I can watch multiple college football games at once. Splitting the antenna isn't a problem. I did try to use another splitter reversed to connect both coax from the satellite receiver and from the antenna into the single coax connector on the TV, but the signal was badly degraded. Using an A/B switch works perfectly fine, except that I have to get up to switch unless I want to buy a powered remote switch.

I would like to get more of the nearby local town's stations, just for weather and local news. I get one of them, but if I change or move anything it may drop out. I am in a funny location where Dish has to use Roanoke (not that close) for locals, I can pick up Richmond (barely closer) on the antenna, and I get can one Charlottesville (half the distance of either of the other two) station. One advantage to this setup is that if one network affiliate is pre-empting programming for something like an ACC basketball game I don't care about, another one from the same network might not be.

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
[QUOTE=RunningBum;1245748]I find TV Fool to be more accurate for me./QUOTE]

I agree. I prefer TV Fool also. (It's just that I forgot where I kept the Link.)

Anyway, I am fortunate to be in a location that has many digital channels available... and all of them have very strong signals. Since the Cable images are always so inferior (I compare with the times I am forced to use Cable in the RV), I don't have to consider changing from the OTA setup. (And SageTV makes the non-HD images even better by converting them to true 1280P)

And FWIW, here are the read-outs of both of these websites from my address for comparison:

Tv-1.JPG tv-2.JPG

TV Fool:

"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote