Join Early Retirement Today

I'm Stunned! :)
Old 07-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm Stunned! :)

Study: Women Are in Charge at Home - Yahoo! News

I guess us married guys would agree with that........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
Administrator

I'll have to ask the young wife whether we agree or not.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to ask the wife if it's ok for me to have an opinion I can post on an online forum with total strangers...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wonder where they got the sample of folks for that study. 22% asian? According to the Census, 4.3% of the US population is asian, and only 1% of Iowans are asian.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
I wonder where they got the sample of folks for that study. 22% asian? According to the Census, 4.3% of the US population is asian, and only 1% of Iowans are asian.
Hawaii, which has the largest percentage of Asians in the United States, including Native Hawaiians. The survey was only run out of Iowa.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I suspect that study that showed that men and women talk equally forgot to eliminate "Yes dear..." from the mens side of the equation.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Ah. SWMBO. She Who Must Be Obeyed
She by H Ryder Haggard
"Ayesha, who has made herself immortal by bathing in a pillar of fire, the source of life itself. She becomes the prototypical all-powerful female figure. She is to be both desired and feared. She is a breathtakingly beautiful creature who will not hesitate to kill any one who displeases her or stands in her way".
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:03 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The results counter past research.
So who were the geniuses who had previously come to a different conclusion?
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Hawaii, which has the largest percentage of Asians in the United States, including Native Hawaiians. The survey was only run out of Iowa.
I guess you're kidding. "The researchers solicited participation from married couples in and around the Iowa State campus." I'm thinking they got a very biased cross-section of American society and the Yahoo news article seems to draw broad conclusions from the ISU research paper.

The married folks in and around the college campus are most likely well-educated, progressive folks. The women (and men!) have been exposed to feminist thought. The women probably have similar earnings potential as the men in the relationship. It isn't hard to imagine women having a significant say in how things are run when they have equal bargaining power in the relationship.

My guess is the researchers would come to a very different conclusion of marital relationships if they were to interview more working class married couples of a more representative racial/socioeconomic mix than what they presumably studied.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:33 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I get to decide where to put our money, where to get the car fixed, sometimes what TV to watch, what workmen to hire, who the next President should be.

She gets to decide where we live, where we eat out, what we eat at home. how we decorate, where we go on vacation, how we both dress.

These are tougher decision. She needs to discuss them more.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
I guess you're kidding. "The researchers solicited participation from married couples in and around the Iowa State campus." I'm thinking they got a very biased cross-section of American society and the Yahoo news article seems to draw broad conclusions from the ISU research paper.

The married folks in and around the college campus are most likely well-educated, progressive folks. The women (and men!) have been exposed to feminist thought. The women probably have similar earnings potential as the men in the relationship. It isn't hard to imagine women having a significant say in how things are run when they have equal bargaining power in the relationship.

My guess is the researchers would come to a very different conclusion of marital relationships if they were to interview more working class married couples of a more representative racial/socioeconomic mix than what they presumably studied.
I didn't see that in the Yahoo article. I still don't see it but that doesn't mean anything.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
I didn't see that in the Yahoo article. I still don't see it but that doesn't mean anything.
sorry - I did a little googling and found the Iowa State news release discussing this paper. Bad e-tiquette on my behalf - I should have posted the link earlier!

News Service: Iowa State University
Old 07-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Now that DH is retired I give him more 'territory' in the house. If he starts yapping about his standards on weed pulling I give him every opportunity to claim that task.

Last week something came up and he huffed about a position I took, said something to the effect of my having an agenda. My response: "Absolutely!!" No shame here. If he didn't have a better argument than claiming that I had an 'agenda', case closed.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - well the way things are now:

I either do it the dogs way or he poops on the floor to express his displeasure.

I miss the women.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote