Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Boy....I guess I just come across wrong sometimes. I was trying to poke a bit of fun.....guess I just need to stop posting.
Oh, don't quit posting.... we are all grouches from time to time! Threads like this are fun once in a while.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Boy....I guess I just come across wrong sometimes. I was trying to poke a bit of fun.....guess I just need to stop posting.
If you were poking fun, so was I. If that's all it takes to get you to quit posting...never mind, I'm poking fun. Fortunately all the posts on this thread are just in fun.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I feel like I am in the first Airplane movie walking through the airport every time I go to Home Depot, ACE, etc. . . . I quite often have to tell them more than once that I am fine and just keep walking to get past them. I know this push comes from higher ups.....but are there that many people out there that LIKE this constant pushy effort to help?
The push does come from the higher ups. HD has a policy that if a store employee comes within X feet of a customer they must ask if the customer needs any assistance. This was in response to the problems with employees avoiding eye contact, etc. Like you, I'd much prefer to be left alone, but there seems to be no way to turn it off. I'd like to be able to pick up an "If I need help I'll ask for it" vest (with an image of Grumpy on it) when I come into the store. Heck, I should get a small discount for allowing their employees to do something else.

Many times I don't know exactly what I need. I need to walk the aisles and look at the merchandise until I find something that will work.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Home Depot used to be the absolute worst in terms of trying to find some help. Haven't noticed much change around here lately. Stores always in disarray, shelves unstocked, items every which way from all the knuckleheads pawing through everything.

Lowe's on the other hand is a pleasure to shop. Helpful employees and the stores are well maintained.

But for a quick trip, I really like my local ACE. I can ask anyone about anything and they can point me exactly to it and usually will guide me there if I want. They also seem to know something about plumbing or electrical or whatever else I am into that day, as opposed to the HD employees who couldn't empty water from a boot if the instructions were on the heel.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post

But for a quick trip, I really like my local ACE. I can ask anyone about anything and they can point me exactly to it and usually will guide me there if I want. They also seem to know something about plumbing or electrical or whatever else I am into that day, as opposed to the HD employees who couldn't empty water from a boot if the instructions were on the heel.
I like ACE also, but my last trip, I was looking for some Oriole food, and couldn't find it, and the teenager who was helping me commented 'I never heard of that kind of bird before'.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #26
Administrator

Ronin, we love our ACE hardware store, too. Their employees know a lot, as you pointed out. While our ACE hardware store is smaller than a Home Depot, they still have some extremely useful and sometimes hard-to-find stuff. It is fun and interesting to browse there.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It is fun and interesting to browse there.
I have to stay focused or I'll walk out with too much "interesting stuff".
Old 06-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I like ACE also, but my last trip, I was looking for some Oriole food, and couldn't find it,
You can find it at the QuickieMart next door:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oreo.jpg (6.5 KB, 138 views)
Old 06-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I like ACE also, but my last trip, I was looking for some Oriole food, and couldn't find it, and the teenager who was helping me commented 'I never heard of that kind of bird before'.
Nothing worse than responding to their request for help, only to have them lead down a dead end or wrong product. This has happened to me at all stores, especially when you get "the new kid."

I think a lot depends on the store manager. Used to be that HD was bad, and Lowes was good around here. Lately, they've flip flopped. I think it is a very local issue.

Our ACE's were all sold to a local hardware chain. Not too much difference. Still the best service.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Thats too funny - I guess you ARE grouchy if you're going to stop posting from getting a little ribbing
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not one of those people who like assistance, either. If I need help, I'll ask for it.

The Best Buys around here are the worst. Every time I move from one section of the store to another, I've got to shoo away another help-fly.

And then there are the special DirectTV people who wander the store trying to hook you into buying their service. I usually lie and tell them I already have it so they'll go away.

I know management is trying to increase customer service, but I think they're doing it in a stupid way. Pestering people <> customer service.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
Thats too funny - I guess you ARE grouchy if you're going to stop posting from getting a little ribbing
Yeah.....I'm a bit of a wuss at times. You should see me when I golf....ooooooo the swear words.......
Old 06-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #33

FWIW -- My various frustrations with the shopping process (slow lines, people waiting to get the cashier total before starting the hunt for exact change, narrow aisles with carts blocking etc..) seemed to have suddenly went away after starting my ER!

-gauss (former grouch--at times)
Old 06-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it's a wonder I stayed past the first year. Search on "vice pay" and "car CD player" if you want to see the sort of welcome *I* got from certain quarters... Remember, everyone also gets their turn to pay back and everyone enjoys that as much as the first salvo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I guess you ARE grouchy if you're going to stop posting from getting a little ribbing
Old 06-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #35

If you want to be a grouch, be the best you can be!
I'm practicing, but this no-stress ER lifestyle is making it very hard to be grouchy.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
If you want to be a grouch, be the best you can be!
I'm practicing, but this no-stress ER lifestyle is making it very hard to be grouchy.
Try golfing......you will get right back to it.....I am about to turn 56...retired....living cheaply....but damn.....I'M RETIRED!! Life is good..an hour bike ride this morning.....a few beers this afternoon.....guess I could win the lottery to make it better....Ohhhh, it wasn't quite 80 degrees this afternoon....so it wasn't a "perfect day". hehehehehehe
Old 06-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Wow, you don't go to the same Home Despot I do. Takes me 10 minutes just to find somebody in an orange apron, then another 10 minutes waiting my turn because the only one I could find is helping at least two other customers.

The "can I help you find stuff" can be a bit annoying. But in the case of Home Depot I can count on get 1,000 steps looking for the elusive folks in orange who aren't already talking to a customer with another customer lurking nearby.. I'd much rather have to much customer service help than not enough.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
I need some holy water, machete, maybe even a couple of grenades to get past all the people who insist on helping me.
Just start loading 4x8 sheets of 3/4'' plywood at Home Depot sometime. Not too many will insist on helping you load it on a cart (the hard part). I've actually had other customers at Home Depot offer to help load plywood but not their employees. Of course if you really don't want any help at a store, then why don't you try shopping at WalMart sometime.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I think it is a very local issue.
That seems to be the case. HD and Lowes are about equal here on the staffing/help issue but we mostly go to Lowes simply because it's closer. Neither is overly intrusive but I can find help when I need it.

The one ACE store that we used to go to while working on FIL's house burned down and has not reopened.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #40

DW works at Home Depot and there was a recent push to ask "What project are you working on and how can we help?" instead of just "Can I help you find something?"

Heard someone suggest you just walk by them mumbling "need shovels and picks...so many bodies......................"

Got a kick out of that. I also don't like to be pestered, but without fail....once I do need help there is no one around..............