I'm such a grouch

Ronin, we love our ACE hardware store, too. Their employees know a lot, as you pointed out. While our ACE hardware store is smaller than a Home Depot, they still have some extremely useful and sometimes hard-to-find stuff. It is fun and interesting to browse there.

I like ACE also, but my last trip, I was looking for some Oriole food, and couldn't find it,

You can find it at the QuickieMart next door:

Attachments

• oreo.jpg
    oreo.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 139
I like ACE also, but my last trip, I was looking for some Oriole food, and couldn't find it, and the teenager who was helping me commented 'I never heard of that kind of bird before'.:nonono:
Nothing worse than responding to their request for help, only to have them lead down a dead end or wrong product. This has happened to me at all stores, especially when you get "the new kid."

I think a lot depends on the store manager. Used to be that HD was bad, and Lowes was good around here. Lately, they've flip flopped. I think it is a very local issue.

Our ACE's were all sold to a local hardware chain. Not too much difference. Still the best service.

I'm not one of those people who like assistance, either. If I need help, I'll ask for it.

The Best Buys around here are the worst. Every time I move from one section of the store to another, I've got to shoo away another help-fly.

And then there are the special DirectTV people who wander the store trying to hook you into buying their service. I usually lie and tell them I already have it so they'll go away.

I know management is trying to increase customer service, but I think they're doing it in a stupid way. Pestering people <> customer service.

FWIW -- My various frustrations with the shopping process (slow lines, people waiting to get the cashier total before starting the hunt for exact change, narrow aisles with carts blocking etc..) seemed to have suddenly went away after starting my ER!

-gauss (former grouch--at times)

Yes, it's a wonder I stayed past the first year. Search on "vice pay" and "car CD player" if you want to see the sort of welcome *I* got from certain quarters...:D Remember, everyone also gets their turn to pay back >:D and everyone enjoys that as much as the first salvo!

I guess you ARE grouchy if you're going to stop posting from getting a little ribbing :D

If you want to be a grouch, be the best you can be!
I'm practicing, but this no-stress ER lifestyle is making it very hard to be grouchy.

If you want to be a grouch, be the best you can be!
I'm practicing, but this no-stress ER lifestyle is making it very hard to be grouchy.

Try golfing......you will get right back to it.....I am about to turn 56...retired....living cheaply....but damn.....I'M RETIRED!! Life is good..an hour bike ride this morning.....a few beers this afternoon.....guess I could win the lottery to make it better....Ohhhh, it wasn't quite 80 degrees this afternoon....so it wasn't a "perfect day". hehehehehehe

Wow, you don't go to the same Home Despot I do. Takes me 10 minutes just to find somebody in an orange apron, then another 10 minutes waiting my turn because the only one I could find is helping at least two other customers.

The "can I help you find stuff" can be a bit annoying. But in the case of Home Depot I can count on get 1,000 steps looking for the elusive folks in orange who aren't already talking to a customer with another customer lurking nearby.. I'd much rather have to much customer service help than not enough.

I need some holy water, machete, maybe even a couple of grenades to get past all the people who insist on helping me. :mad:

Just start loading 4x8 sheets of 3/4'' plywood at Home Depot sometime. Not too many will insist on helping you load it on a cart (the hard part). I've actually had other customers at Home Depot offer to help load plywood but not their employees. Of course if you really don't want any help at a store, then why don't you try shopping at WalMart sometime.:LOL:

Last edited:
I think it is a very local issue.

That seems to be the case. HD and Lowes are about equal here on the staffing/help issue but we mostly go to Lowes simply because it's closer. Neither is overly intrusive but I can find help when I need it.

The one ACE store that we used to go to while working on FIL's house burned down and has not reopened.

DW works at Home Depot and there was a recent push to ask "What project are you working on and how can we help?" instead of just "Can I help you find something?"

Heard someone suggest you just walk by them mumbling "need shovels and picks...so many bodies......................"

Got a kick out of that. I also don't like to be pestered, but without fail....once I do need help there is no one around..............

Yes, it's a wonder I stayed past the first year. Search on "vice pay" and "car CD player" if you want to see the sort of welcome *I* got from certain quarters...:D Remember, everyone also gets their turn to pay back >:D and everyone enjoys that as much as the first salvo!

But, Amethyst, we never heard if you got the CD out of the car...

I used to work in retail.......I promise you, you can't win.

1/2 the folks in the store complained because no one helped them, the other 1/2 complained because someone asked if they could help them. Regardless of what you do, a grouch takes offense.

Sometimes I want help, other times I want to wander alone......not the fault of the retail employee......I'm the one making the decision. So, every one should think about the guy/gal spending hours on their feet trying to do the right thing instead of themselves who can either ask for help or smile and say no thank you.

I always feel sorry for retail and restaurant employees....they work hard and don't make enough money for the abuse they take most days. And, I try to always smile, tip big, especially at inexpensive restaurants and know how lucky I am not to have to be on my feet all day listening to grouches.

We have a new ACE store in town and as soon as you walk in the door they offer to help. At first I was somewhat annoyed because I typically like to wander around and figure things out for myself. After several visits, I've found that they really are helpful and I've learned to take advantage of it.

I'm generally in and out in half the time and I either have exactly what I need or know that they don't have it for one reason or another. Also, it's cut down on the amount of impulse stuff I'm carrying home (which is probably not to their advantage).

Wow, you don't go to the same Home Despot I do. Takes me 10 minutes just to find somebody in an orange apron, then another 10 minutes waiting my turn because the only one I could find is helping at least two other customers.

If I'm just browsing, the floor associates stalk me like serial killers. But if I actually "need" help...

This problem of too much help is one I have not encountered lately. I remember when I was a boy and we were reading all the comics at the drugstore instead of buying them, we felt we got too many "can I help you would you like to buy that" questions, but not since.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom