Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
F4, here are a few names of guys "down the hill" who married local lasses and can probably help you. Bob Martin, Roy Bullock, Matt Banner, and Tim Watts. Matt, in particular, would be a good source of info. Just tell them Bob L. sent you to see them.

Good luck, those Yorkshire lasses make a nice addition to the US female population.

PX4sc40sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I have not yet done the research myself but have been told by friends that if you die, the non-citizen spouse has to pay taxes on your estate at current income rates.
Yes. I happened to read that estate tax to a foreign spouse is a hair-raising 45%. However, there is a deduction limit below which you do not get taxed. As it does not apply to me, I do not care to remember the details.

In the case of F4 whose wife does not want to be naturalized, you definitely want to check out the law to be prepared.

NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #23
gone traveling
Might want to survive experience a couple of Spokane winters like 2008-2009 before you sell that little Yorkshire bungalow and move to the Inland Northwest permanently... I moved an employee and spouse there a few years back from Gloucestershire, they moved into a log cabin in the mountains northeast of Spokane, lasted five years before they packed it in and moved back to jolly-old. His decision, not hers...
I lived in Spokane for 20+ years, feel free to PM me with any specific questions or recommendations.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:23 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.
Westernskies.....I grew up in Castle Rock on the wet....eeerrr....west side. Spent 5 years in Ellensburg and grew to like it better on that side. Spent 10 years in Germany as well, not as cold as Spokane however. Wife is desperate for a little sunshine.....I keep warning her about the winters (which I kind of like...although slightly long) and she has only seen part of 2 summers over there. She is a tough ol' girl....already raised 4 kids by herself since her ex was a prat. We were looking at bungalows online down in the Cornwall area.....much sunnier and warmer down there than up here in the north. Got us least I could ride my bike year round down there...........

F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote