Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: what generation american are you?
1st 26 17.11%
2nd 26 17.11%
3rd 36 23.68%
4th 21 13.82%
5th-mayflower 39 25.66%
native american 8 5.26%
non-american 11 7.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #41
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
it could be worse, of course. i have relatives born out of wedlock and so unknowingly raised not as the mother's child but by that family as her sibling, so they don't even know what generation they are in the family, never mind in america. and i thought i was confused.
The interesting thing to me is that all those genealogical charts record the official relationships. In my family (not my parents): a man found out his biological father was the brother of his legal father (small town in Maine); a man raised his wife's five boys, two of which were not his biologically (small town in NY).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

1st generation here; learned about LBYM and everything money from my parents who, although uneducated, really made it in America (in about 30 years from a net worth of ~$100 to a net worth of ~$3.8 million).

lazygood4nothinbum -

Interesting find. I was that way up until the end of college, then embraced my parents 'old ways.' I was very much Americanized, but reverted away from it and back to the European culture.

In a college finance course, the professor broke it down like this:

Immigrants OR 1st generation: lay the foundation
Next Generation: builds upon the foundation; expands the business/'empire'
Next Generation: lives off of the fruits; destroys it all

Cycle repeats itself.
Pavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Pardon me Zipper, I thought you were Canadian.
Reread.

I am Canadian (1943 St. Thomas ON). My family and I spent 1978 in Australia on a teacher exchange.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Guten Morgen, Herr Schmidt!

Ha
Zimmerman, which in German is apparently a carpenter or a room finisher or trimmer.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Great Aunt did a lot of research on Mom's side of the family...DAR...English, Irish, Indian (not native) back there somewhere, g-g-grand IIRC. Dad died when I was 2 and I don't know about his side of the family. A real melting pot, I think.

DH's family has done a better job of tracing the family tree back to and beyond the Mayflower...John Howland. Any of the 16 voting Mayflower a decendant of John Howland? DH didn't join the Mayflower Society but his mom did and both of our kids joined the Junior Mayflower Society - thanks to my MIL.
Twinkle Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:56 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[quote=REWahoo;603438]My ancestry has been traced back 5 generations to my g-g grandfather born in North Carolina in 1792. Beyond that lies mystery.

Where in NC? What's the last name? (if you'd rather not, I understand). My whole family has been in NC since before the 1700's and I've done a good bit of genealogy research, just thought I might have already or maybe in the future come across some info you could use. My ancestor Sylvester Baldwin came over as a child from England in the 1630's and was the only member of his family to make it (the trip) alive. Lucky for me! He stayed in Connecticut for awhile, but he and his crew headed down to North Carolina before the 1700's where they were farmers, mill owners, business people and public servants. I have deep roots in the Carolinas, and am definitely at least a 5th generation American. My gg grandfather was born in 1798 in Montgomery County.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
thanx. i'm assuming sült is something made from tofu?
Not even close. I'll let it be a surprise.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:51 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Where in NC? What's the last name?
You've got mail...
Old 01-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I got interested in family trees after the Roots episodes in the 70's and continued the interest into the 90s when I got my first computer so I started tracing my paternal side because of the last name. My named ancestors came over in 1712. It was an easy line to follow since they were Quaker and all of the same last name were related. They also keep really good records at their meeting houses of all marriages and births. Quakers do not fight in wars but 1/2 the family ran a hospital type set up for the American side during the Rev. War. There is a historical marker in North Carolina about them. Of six sons, three remained Quaker and refused to fight but the other three of them were Tories. My immediate ancestor was one of the Tory sons and was hung after the war. Fortunately he had my next ancestor beforehand! This rebellious branch then ended up in Georgia/Alabama during the Civil War but the anti-slavery Quaker blood stayed true and they went north to fight for the Union Army. My GGfather and gfather came to Texas in an oxcart in early 1900's.
On my mother's mother's side there is Cherokee in both sides as well as in my fathers mothers side.
My GGG Grandfather on fathers mothers side shot a man in San Antonio, in self defense according to the family stories but he was afraid for his life. He went home, got my GG Grandfather to help him pack up his things supposedly for a hunting trip together then set off down the road and sent the boy home with the story and instructions to go home and take care of his mother and sisters. I later met up with his next family who was researching their tree as well. He married another woman farther south in Texas, adopted her children and had a few more. My 90 year old grandmother is still alive and she heard that story from him (her gfather)when she was a grown woman in the 30's.
I have much research from DH's side as well (Scotish Catholics)but this is long enuff!

2fer
Old 01-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Born in India, came here when I was 10.
Me too, except I had just turned 11 when we got here.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #51
Dryer sheet wannabe

My Dads family landed at Ellis Island in 1923. Came from Kiel Germany via Hamburg. Immediately went to Winnipeg Manitoba, then to Detroit then settled in the Missouri Ozarks. Mom is from Thayer, Missouri.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #52

On Mom's side 3rd generation. On Dad's side goes back to the revolution and beyond. Also a little Cherokee in there.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - are there still more Andersons than Smiths in the Seattle phone book or are those days long gone?

3rd generation - mostly 'son' Finns plus a few normals, a German fiddle player from Chicago and a DAR type from Maine. Canada, Boston, Maine, Michigan and -drum roll please:

New York City!

heh heh heh - Yeah I know some don't count as foreign countries - BUT I did live thirty years in New Orleans - yea you rite!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
i meant to check out ellis island records on my last visit to new york but i was so involved with family & old friends that i ran out of time.
Did you know the records are online and searchable for free?
Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search
I don't know if they are all there, but I found my great-uncle this way.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm first generation. I was born in Maryland but my parents are both from China. I can trace my lineage back 40 generations to Hwa-Xun, who was born in 627 ad. He was a viceroy, governor, and imperial counselor in the early Tang dynasty. My dad went back to China after he retired and traced our family records back to this guy. He compiled it in a book and gave it to me many years ago. Starting with Hwa-Xun The book has the direct descendant listed, his parents, his wife (or wives) his children, his birth and death year. A brief description of what he did and any accomplishments. This is an amazing thing to have. I am the 40th in line from this guy.
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #56
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow! I thought my 5th generation line was long! 40 deep is DEEP!!!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:26 PM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm guessing novaman is going to end up winning this contest.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

The oldest line

is 10th generation, coming from Wales through London in 1635, ending up in New Amsterdam. The most recent is 4th from Prussia around 1885.
aenlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:14 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I've been told great grandparents on both sides were Irish and Dutch.

I guess that's why I have dark brown hair and get tan by sitting in the shade? :confused:
Old 01-22-2008, 07:23 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I've been told great grandparents on both sides were Irish and Dutch.

I guess that's why I have dark brown hair and get tan by sitting in the shade? :confused:
Milkman?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote