Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: what generation american are you?
1st 26 17.11%
2nd 26 17.11%
3rd 36 23.68%
4th 21 13.82%
5th-mayflower 39 25.66%
native american 8 5.26%
non-american 11 7.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Milkman?
Yeah...that's probably why I chose bbbamI...hmmm.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
American mongrel - too hard to tell generations.
Probably a good description for me, too. Dad's family is mostly German and Irish coming over in the 1840s and 1850s, but throw in some French, English, Dutch, and who knows what else. My maternal grandmother's family goes back to early settlers and I am apparently (distantly) related to Doc Holliday. My maternal grandfather split when Mom was two, so who knows?

DW is into all the geneology stuff and supposedly has traced her family back to the 1600s in germany and farther on her Dad's side. I guess my attitude is that I am what I am, so while the family past is vaguely interesting, its not as important as the present and future. Guess that's why I never did anything with my history degree.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by two4theroad View Post
My named ancestors came over in 1712. It was an easy line to follow since they were Quaker and all of the same last name were related. They also keep really good records at their meeting houses of all marriages and births.
i think that is great to have so many details about your family's past. like moemg, i'm afraid that i'll find synagogues have been burned down should i ever make my way to russia to trace my roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
Did you know the records are online and searchable for free?
Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search
I don't know if they are all there, but I found my great-uncle this way.
thanx frugal. that must have been cool to find your uncle there. have been to the site but was a no go. one of the problem is all the name changing that went on back then. and it was not just last names as i discovered from finding that 1910 census of my father's family in new york. the first names changed too. i'm hoping there are more records at ellis island which did not make it to their computer. maybe on my next road trip i'll take a day or two in the city. problem is that life is so busy up there that it is hard to accomplish much in short periods of time. could take more than a few days. i'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
I'm first generation. I was born in Maryland but my parents are both from China. I can trace my lineage back 40 generations to Hwa-Xun, who was born in 627 ad.
wow that really is amazing. and what a wonderful tradition of the chinese to keep such good records. having been a student of communication, i'm surprised in thinking back on my studies, that my professors did not touch on the development of the forth estate in china, considering that in the west it basically began with record-keeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
My maternal grandmother's family goes back to early settlers and I am apparently (distantly) related to Doc Holliday...I guess my attitude is that I am what I am, so while the family past is vaguely interesting, its not as important as the present and future.
doc holliday? i love it. could be where you got your genes which enable you to handle the markets as well as you do. my brother thinks like you though. he could care less where people come from. i don't know what my attraction is to it. i don't think i live in the past. i realize i have my own life and that i make my own future. i think it just adds a bit of depth to the present.

also maybe it helps me to appreciate the opportunities i have now. what if my greatgrandparents had stayed in odessa. or what if they emmigrated someplace else.

all these immigrants have come to a land where the native americans revere their ancestors. yet we assimilate and in doing so often reject our roots or at least lose track of our own families. i just find that interesting.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

2nd generation - American of Greek, French and Irish descent

Mom was 1st generation Greek American
Dad was 1st generation Irish and French American
Old 02-14-2008, 07:03 PM   #65

Mother's side - Third generation
Father's side - back to at least the 1830s in Virginia.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #66

How about adoption to mess things up? "Family wise", my great-grandmother was the youngest of 7 little Italians - she was the only one born here in 1894. Her husband was born in Italy. Other great-grandmother was born in Ireland, and her husband was German...not sure where he was born. Dad's side is more interesting - his mother is a DAR, and his grandfather came up to CA from Chile with horses (hence the racetrack, land interests and relations with the Pachecos in the Bay Area in CA)...were Moors - captured by the Spaniards, sailed the exploring ships around S. America, settled in Chile for a while, then up to CA (fun to get Dad a little tipsy to really tell the tale!)

Biologically, maternal grandmother born in US to immigrant parents from Holland. Her husband was Spanish (gasp!) and Yazi Indian. Paternal grandmother born in US to immigrants from Norway, married to a Scottish "mutt" (read - probably an Irishman or Englishman in that bloodline, but came from Scotland) who was also born to immigrant parents.

Not a clue how to vote in this poll!
Old 02-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #67

My dad immigrated in 1947 from Germany
My mom's dad immigrated around 1900 from Germany
My mom's mom was English / Irish, here a couple generations

I guess that averages out to 2nd generation.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:41 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

paternal grandfather was brought over from France when he was a child in 1920.

paternal great grandfather on the other side came from Sicily, great grandmother came over alone from Sweden at age 16 in 1912.

maternal side is english and scottish and has been here more generations.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a 19th-century Western-European mongrel.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Trying to become a first generation immigrant. No Mayflower tales here, I came in on an airplane. I traced my dad's family tree back to 1650 (worked on it for years) and it seems to be a mix of Swiss and Savoyard (the duchy of Savoy does not exist anymore, it was dissolved in 1860 and is now part of France and Italy). His family has lived in the same town on what is now the Swiss-French border at least since the catholic church started keeping records of all births, marriages and deaths there around 1700. I can't go back very far on my mom's side since her family's records were destroyed during world war 1. But from what I gathered, it's mostly French and Savoyard.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
Dad's side is more interesting - his mother is a DAR, and his grandfather came up to CA from Chile with horses (hence the racetrack, land interests and relations with the Pachecos in the Bay Area in CA)...were Moors - captured by the Spaniards...Biologically, maternal grandmother born in US to immigrant parents from Holland. Her husband was Spanish (gasp!)
do you find yourself dealing with internal struggles? (poll is multiple choice).

caught an interesting segment on tv yesterday about african children (think it was in congo but not sure now) who are forced to join the army and kill. they focused on two kids who managed to escape their forced servitude and became best friends during rehab. it was only after they became good friends that they realized that they had been on opposite sides of the conflict.

was at once sad & heartwarming to hear the kid talk about how he very likely killed the friends of his best friend and his best friend likely killed his own friends but that now they are like brothers.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 02-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #72

PBS is airing African American Lives 2 where mostly famous african americans are treated to an intensive geneology search by Professor Gates from harvard - it is very interesting to learn peoples family histories and the impact/desire in us to be a part of something - or to "know". As an immigrant I know where all my family is "from" even if i don't know much about them individually. I think some part of American history is fascinating since there were so many who were trying to "leave behind" bad family/religious histories and/or social class status - perhaps that is why we are so bad at history as a nation...so in part you could say it contributed to our "american dream" where anyone can become someone - but also contributes to some of the ignorance and lopsided focus on profit over culture/community.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Stripes (1981) - Memorable quotes

John Winger: We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:18 AM   #74

still studying my father's family, i thought i needed to go to Ellis island in person because their computer records go only to 1892. sloppily researched by me, turns out ellis only opened in 1892. you can find records here Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search. while there, i learned that for immigrants arriving to new york prior to ellis, Castle Garden records date to 1820 (i believe my paternal great grandfather arrived in the 1880s or so).

regardless, ellis island is a wonderful little excursion. i took two friends who live in the area but have never visited before. this was my first time as well. for just $12, a ferry takes you from the central rail road new jersey (crrnj) terminal at liberty state park in jersey city to both Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island - Official Tickets & Tours - Guaranteed Lowest Price.

we'd all been to the statue before so stayed on board during that stop. but we all enjoyed ellis island very much. it has recently been restored with parts exhibited still in its deteriorated state. the museum does a very good job relating the immigrant experience of entering this new world.

here are some pics from our trip

crrnj exterior

crrnj historic platforms

crrnj ceiling detail

crrrnj waterfront

morgan stanley jersey city headquarters built after 911 as seen from crrnj

view to twin tower reconstruction site as seen from crrnj (similar view from morgan stanley building)

just two guys. no idea who they are

ellis island processing building (2nd structure--original structure burned down)

imposing interior

museum exhibits (i didn't realize my friends made themselves a part of the exhibit as i was taking that picture--sneaking, aren't they?)

got to enjoy watching coast guard practice while on ellis island. first the copter hovered, then they tossed a dummy overboard and then a diver rescued the dummy.

view to south end of nyc from ferry (note the puff of black smoke right about where the towers stood).

the arm pit of lady liberty

Old 11-11-2008, 01:24 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
PBS is airing African American Lives 2 where mostly famous african americans are treated to an intensive geneology search by Professor Gates from harvard - it is very interesting to learn peoples family histories and the impact/desire in us to be a part of something - or to "know". As an immigrant I know where all my family is "from" even if i don't know much about them individually. I think some part of American history is fascinating since there were so many who were trying to "leave behind" bad family/religious histories and/or social class status - perhaps that is why we are so bad at history as a nation...so in part you could say it contributed to our "american dream" where anyone can become someone - but also contributes to some of the ignorance and lopsided focus on profit over culture/community.
I saw the first African American Lives series with Oprah Winfrey, Quincy Jones, TD Jakes, Mae Jemison and I forget who the others were. I found it just fascinating! I am third generation on my father's side: both of his parents were immigrants from Barbados. My mother's maternal line were free people of color in Maryland before the Civil War. She has a family Bible that records that part of the family. The first entry dates from 1854, the death of my GGGG-grandmother. I have found my GGG-grandmother in the 1840 Census and people with the same surname as my GGGG-grandmother in the 1820. I don't know where that branch of the family came from or how many generations they were in the US earlier than I am able to trace them. They were Roman Catholic and had French names. My mother's most recent immigrant ancestor was her grandmother, who came over from England as a young child. Ooops! I called myself a 2nd generation in the poll, but it should have been 3rd.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:56 AM   #76
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
How about adoption to mess things up?
I mentioned earlier in this thread that my father's family came over in a tiny boat from Scotland in the early 1700's, but my maternal grandmother was adopted. She had magnificent thick, shiny, straight red hair down to her knees, and was of Dutch extraction. I have no idea how anyone knew that! But somehow that was known with certainty. Her adoptive parents were also Dutch and I have no idea how long their family had been in America before she was born. She got a college degree in the classics over a hundred years ago, rather unusual for a woman at that time in history, and married an Irish chemistry professor who became my maternal grandfather.

Her red hair shows through in red/gold highlights in my daughter's beautiful brunette hair. She was one of the most intelligent and literate women I have ever known, though her hair had turned snowy white and was cut by the time I came along. I have photos of her with long hair as a young woman.

So, like many Americans I too am a "mutt". My heritage on my father's side is Scottish with a little English, but on my mother's side Irish and Dutch. My maiden name was very Scottish, though, and I perceive myself as being an American of mostly Scottish ancestry.

Lazy, nice photos!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the photos, and the reminder that even after this crash, my life is infinitely easier (and my net worth higher) than some of my ancestors who arrived in the U.S. with nothing. My grandmother died young, and apparently didn't have a moment's rest in her life. So any self-pity that might ever show up, goodbye forever.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
Thanks for the photos, and the reminder that even after this crash, my life is infinitely easier (and my net worth higher) than some of my ancestors who arrived in the U.S. with nothing.
In doing genealogical research as a hobby, my wife and I discovered we're 12th cousins -- both descended from the same Mayflower family.

I'm more of a mutt than she is -- she has more German and English heritages in her background, where as I have those roots and some Scotch and American Indian (my mom's mom was full blood). And as far as the non-native part of my tree goes, the migrations came as long ago as 1620 and as recently as 1863, with most already in what would become the United States by 1700.

The 1863 emigration to the U.S. was a young Prussian man who arrived in Hoboken as a stowaway on a ship at about age 17 (my great great grandfather). This family spoke German at first, then spoke a mixture of German and English, and mostly stopped speaking German in regular discourse when WW1 broke out.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #79

DW has been doing off/on genealogy research on her family tree for about the past three years, she goes back to almost Mayflower on both sides, English and Scottish. My paternal Irish and German great-great-grandparents came over during the potato famine and my mother's side goes back to England but I don't know when, I think four or five generations ago.

I also get sunburned sitting in the shade. Gimme that SPF 45!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #80
Full time employment: Posting here.

On mother's side I'm descended from one of seven German brothers, all of whom came to the New World prior to the Revolutionary War (and all of whom fought for the colonies in the war). There's some Irish/Dutch/English mixed in there, too, but the German line runs deep, even though it's the Irish we celebrate as a family.

On my Dad's side, we've got Native American roots and some Irish, too. I'm 1/4 Native American (Plains Indians, Crow and Lakota Sioux).

So I'm about 1/4 Irish immigrant (fairly recent -- 1870's and 1920's), 1/2 German (pre-Revolutionary War) and 1/4 Native American (Immigrated during the Bering Land Bridge wave of New World immigration).

Dang, my people have been here a long time!