Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I realize anecdotal evidence is just that, but my experience with two families' four home schooled kids isn't that favorable. While they were obviously very bright and probably got an above average education, it appeared to me once they got into the real world they would be eaten alive. No street smarts whatsoever.
Anecdotal evidence is OK as long as it's clearly spelled out as being such. Maybe it's not really evidence but rather just pointing out the attributes of one sample from a population which may or may not be indicative of the mode of the population.......

Interestingly, our experience with the fishing camp owners who are home schooling is that the kids seem especially street smart. They're part of the family business and even the youngest seemed to be tuned into providing a postive experience for customers, what a profit is, etc. They just seem to have a general sense of our economic system beyond their years.

I can't think of any educational situation where anecdotal examples pointing to one conclusion or another can't be had. Private schools, public schools, home schooling........ But your point is well taken in that you can't generalize a system or method based on a small sample size.

"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...
I think I'd rather begrudge a teacher than my mom for giving me homework. Of course, my mom made sure I did my homework.

I have a friend that happens to be a speech therapist. Her daughter has problems with speech; however she takes her daughter to a different therapist as she does not want her daughter to think of her as a 'doctor'. She just wants to be momma.

There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Anecdotal evidence is OK as long as it's clearly spelled out as being such.
My kids were both homeschooled. Neither had any problem getting into difficult university programs, or excelling once there. They both married very attractive intelligent women. They both have excellent careers. Neither is money obsessed. (Or for that matter particularly frugal. I think they saw more of that they would have liked as children. )

They are both athletic and very pleasant to be around.

I think home schooled children will naturally reflect their parents and other adults and kids in their immediate circle more than the average kid will. Whether that is good or not depends lot on who the adults are.

I spent a lot of time driving them to meet (mostly) men who were accomplished in some area in which my sons had interests. This was also very pleasant for me. I met a lot of guys that I felt privileged to know.

Home schooling is highly dependent on the resources that the parents can bring to bear. We had money, brains, education and time. I didn't have any worries that what my very intelligent ex and I and the people we knew and the people my kids came up with for mentoring would likely be inferior to the best that high school might offer. All my wife's sibs and many of my friends were New England boarding school products, and although these people do get an excellent education and are often very high class men and women, I would not wish boarding school on a dog who had bitten me.

And of course the worst that high school can dish up keeps parents awake at night.

One thing home school families must face-many of the kids are ready for the big world by age 16 or so, and if you do not live in a big city with university opportunities they will likely be on their way before mom and dad are quite ready. I was just getting myself ready for the big sex education moment that I had missed earlier when my teenage “boy” brought home a 23 year old woman. So I figured I could just pass on that trial.

As an aside, I was friends with John Holt, possibly the spiritual father of home schooling in modern America. He was in every way a beautiful person.

haha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...
Brewer, IMO this indicates you must be doing a great job with your daughter. I think he sensed she was intelligent and well behaved.

Even though she's isn't home schooled, I suspect you spent a lot of quality time with her to help her learn and deal with social situations. Hats off to you - I'm sure you must be very proud of her.

I have three nephews that were home schooled by my sister in law. She started this because the middle boy has a learning disability and the school system in the rural area they lived in could not provide him with the special eduction he required.

All three boys turned out very well. They had plenty of social interaction through church and community activities. I am very proud to be Aunt Purron to these fine young men.
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have no opinions to offer on homeschooling, per se. But when husband and I were investigating real estate in PA, we spent a day with a RE agent in Lancaster County who was a very unusual RE agent - very open about what he saw as good and bad in the county.* (Most RE agents try to convince you that their neck of the woods is Paradise).

He was on the school board where his kids attend school, and was very unhappy with the quality of schooling. In fact, he was considering homeschooling them - not, he said, to keep them away from other points of view, but to ensure they were being challenged academically.

He felt the other parents cared little whether their kids went on to higher education, and the majority of students just wanted to get out of school as soon as possible. Of course, this was just his perception, but perhaps the park ranger shares it.

Anyway, sounds like you have a neat kid.

*He also may have assumed that since we are older, we don't have any kids in school.
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
A late contribution to a topic near & dear to my heart.

Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Thanks for the comments. I am far out of the loop onthe whole homeschooling idea. Mostly associate it with people who cannot stand the idea of their kids being taught about evolution, etc., but clearly that is a stereotype rather than likely reality. Personally, I cannot imagine homeschooling this kid. She thrives on the social interaction too much and devours information so fast it needs to come on a conveyor belt. Don't think I could keep up.
We've always homeschooled our kid-- in addition to public school. It's how she learned about Kumon math & reading, financial management, taekwondo, dressage, surfing, and a whole bunch of other subjects not taught by the state DOE.

Here's a handy test of your parenting skills as graded your offspring: next time your kid complains about school, tell them that they don't have to go to school anymore if they don't want to. After the cheering & applause dies down, follow that up with the statement "Yep, tomorrow morning we'll start Dad's Homeschool!" Then see which "school system" they prefer.

When our kid was a preschooler, I studied a lot of homeschooling & unschooling techniques because I figured the teachers would call us up any day to beg us to take her home. Then I figured our kid would "fire" the teachers as soon as she got tired of the rules & regimentation. But "Dad's Homeschool" always seemed to keep things in perspective.

BTW, the heck with the mean kids in the workplace. What about the mean teachers bosses?

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:50 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Brewer -- There are many reasons to homeschool. Some parents do it for religious reasons. However, many secular parents homeschool for a variety of reasons. It is very common for parents of highly gifted kids to homeschool. Most public schools and private schools have a lot of difficulty educating these children because there are so few of them. Many public schools do well with average kids or with high achievers. In most public schools programs for academically advanced kids are geared to the kid who is a little bit ahead of most students. Most gifted programs are designed for these kids, who might be a year or so ahead of every one else.

We homeschooled our son for a time (in our case my husband and I both worked full time so we hired a tutor/nanny who did much of the daily teaching). When our son was 7 he skipped 2nd grade. He was in the 3rd grade GT classroom. They set up a pull out for a few advanced kids in math. He went to the pull out and was disappointed to find out they were learning things he already knew. By mid-year they skipped him to 4th grade math. By April, his teacher told me that he by then knew all of 5th grade math. He wasn't yet 8. The public school he was going to had good teachers and administration. However, that school had a lot of difficulty finding ways to teach him math. It was fairly clear that by the time he was 10 he would be ready for algebra and not many elementary schools can really handle that well (there are some, but not many). Many parents homeschool when there is a difference of several years between a child's acadmic level and the level of instruction available.

Another reason to homeschool is for children with some learning disabilities particularly when those LDs are uncommon or are coupled with academic advancement in other areas. My son was very advanced in math. He was also dyslexic (had difficulty learning to read) and dysgraphic (had difficulty with handwriting). The public school actually handled the dyslexia well and remediated his reading. He now reads very well (he is now 16). However, dysgraphia wasn't as common. And some teachers had difficulty with concept in a kid in gifted classes. I can still remember the history teacher who told me he didn't belong in the GT history classes even though he was making an A on all academic work. Why? He couldn't color inside the lines on his journal drawings....

Having said all that -- in our case homeschooling didn't work well for him. He is extroverted and likes to be with other kids and doesn't like being different. What ended up working better for him was a smaller self paced private school (all of which led to him graduating at 15).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:24 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...
Ineresting further comments. I can understand the homeschooling of the dyslexic and the gifted. My younger brother was clearly learning disabled but bright and he did OK through 8th grade, but by the time he went to high school the "not coloring inside the lines" became a major distraction from the academic work and he never made it to college. As for the gifted, I was bored out of my mind through 8th grade. The school/teachers tried, but they really did not have the resources to deal wih one or two of us (and this was a well regarded parochial school; hate to imagine what the bottom half of the public schools would have been like). Salvation came when I went to an extremely selective, highly challenging high school exclusively focused on the gifted (which kicked my butt). There was no possibility of homeschooling, as dad just about managed his GED in the Army (learning disabilities) and mom graduated HS and never had the chance to go to college.

We do effectively homeschool on top of public school. So far this summer with my older daughter we have done fractions, beginning orienteering (map and compass, old school), gardening, cooking, hiking, lots and lots of art, beginning financial literacy, etc. If I have the time and DW does not veto the idea, I will probably try krav maga with my oldest within the next year. I was about to wonder who does not do all this stuff with their kids, but then again I see them every day.

"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote