Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

In-Drive auto insurance device
Old 02-24-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Has anybody tried the State Farm In-Drive device.

As I understand it, the device tracks your driving and you get discounts based upon what it reports back to the insurance company.

Friend or Foe?

How It Works

Quote:
Now you're ready to go! As you drive, we'll collect information such as your driving behaviors and mileage, and calculate your discount.*
And some charges go along with it after the first year:

Service Packages

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Haven't tried it as I think it's my Room 101. Not that I intentionally drive badly. Ten down zero up for me. O'Brien said it best:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_101
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

They creep me out. I'm not sure I'd use one even if they gave me free insurance to do it.
WannabeRetired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

For a few bucks sell your privacy, or what is left of it.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

No way would I want my insurance company to know how far or how fast I drive.

I believe in the U.K. this system has allowed insurance companies to raise rates because of the data they see. I don't have any links, but read several articles in print when I was in England last year.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:11 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I am doing the one from Progressive... had them a bit over two months.... thought I would get a significant discount since we drive so few miles...

So far the discounts on the 3 cars are 1%, 2% and 8%.... I could change the rates more by changing deductibles or even dropping some coverage...

Edit:
Well.... I lied.... I just went in to see what difference in premium I would get changing my deductible... went from $500 with glass coverage to $1000 without glass coverage on two cars and I would save a whopping $4.48 for 3 months....

My biggest savings would be to kick off my under 18 son...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:16 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I am doing the one from Progressive... had them a bit over two months.... thought I would get a significant discount since we drive so few miles...

So far the discounts on the 3 cars are 1%, 2% and 8%.... I could change the rates more by changing deductibles or even dropping some coverage...
That's it? I'm down to about 80 miles per month unless we go on a 1000+ mile road trip. I figured we might switch over to one of the snooper devices and get a big discount, but maybe not?

I switched my insurance from "commuter" to "leisure" once I retired and only got a $10/yr discount I think (on a $600/yr premium).
Old 02-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

That was one of the tipping points that caused me to dump State Farm. I was in a temporary situation that caused me to drive to the other side of the state. No explanation from me was acceptable. "I can't help you. Rules are rules."

I still had to fill out and return my car's odometer reading to a (local) agent.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:24 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Has anybody tried the State Farm In-Drive device.

As I understand it, the device tracks your driving and you get discounts based upon what it reports back to the insurance company.

Friend or Foe?

How It Works

And some charges go along with it after the first year:

Service Packages
Or if your car is new enough State Farm works with On-Star to note your mileage. Then discounts are given if your mileage is low enough;
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
That's it? I'm down to about 80 miles per month unless we go on a 1000+ mile road trip. I figured we might switch over to one of the snooper devices and get a big discount, but maybe not?

I switched my insurance from "commuter" to "leisure" once I retired and only got a $10/yr discount I think (on a $600/yr premium).
In Tx they dumped the distinction between pleasure and to work or school and now do all pleasure work or school as apparently it became less (at least in the rural area where I lived)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:26 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Gosh, this is so reassuring..Family Plans

"Monitor drivers so you know if they are driving safely and where you want them to be. Set guidelines that In-Drive Co-Pilot helps enforce by sending alerts when there is a variance to your guidelines.

Create reports of where your vehicle has been. Set speed limits and virtual boundaries.

When entire families drive safely, the road becomes a safer place."

This looks like a way to raise rates (and deny driving privileges), and they have the evidence!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I can't help but think that the fees for the 'extras' would exceed any premium savings.

Also, even if the insurance company is 100% honest and trustworthy, what happens when some criminal breaks into their system, steals my data and now knows even more about my lifestyle and habits? This is not a comforting thought.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:02 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Gosh, this is so reassuring..Family Plans

"Monitor drivers so you know if they are driving safely and where you want them to be. Set guidelines that In-Drive Co-Pilot helps enforce by sending alerts when there is a variance to your guidelines.

Create reports of where your vehicle has been. Set speed limits and virtual boundaries.

When entire families drive safely, the road becomes a safer place."

This looks like a way to raise rates (and deny driving privileges), and they have the evidence!
I remember years ago a client so nicely telling us how much more value our software would have if we build in metrics unique to their business. My manager and I listened, said we'd get back with them in week.

After we got out of earshot he asked, "if I wanted to build my own gallows?"

The insurance companies build the gallows, they're just asking you to infect your vehicle.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:22 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I remember years ago a client so nicely telling us how much more value our software would have if we build in metrics unique to their business. My manager and I listened, said we'd get back with them in week.

After we got out of earshot he asked, "if I wanted to build my own gallows?"

The insurance companies build the gallows, they're just asking you to infect your vehicle.
Looking at the links to these privacy invasion tools, the insurance company is charging the user a monthly fee for the use of their data gathering tool.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:37 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Aja8888, You're probably correct, either way my data is not going to be theirs. Unless one of the Ministries says so. I don't want Room 101.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Aja8888, You're probably correct, either way my data is not going to be theirs. Unless one of the Ministries says so. I don't want Room 101.
It's too much like Big Brother watching you. As hard as it is to collect on insurance claims these days, the last thing you want is an insurance company denying an accident claim payment because you have a history of going 42 MPH in a 40 MPH zone.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I work in computer security and this is data I would never give any insurance company insight to. You are basically giving up your right to privacy to get a better price on insurance. There can be no price on personal privacy.
stlguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

For Progressive you are not paying them for the device... from what they say they are not getting GPS info unless you are told...

I have looked at the data they provide... they keep track of the time you are driving and miles.... they split the days into 3 categories on I guess the likely hood of having an accident... they also keep track of how many 'hard stops' you make... the big problem I have with this is that I get a beep from the device when I am coming to a light and it changes yellow... some of the yellows around here are short and you stop 'quickly'.... and get a beep... I have now started to run the yellow so I am now a 'safer' driver....

Another beep that gets me is you are slowing down at a yield... turn a corner and hit the gas... they think you are in stop and go traffic and you get a beep...

If you insurance is pretty cheap already, I would not do it... but mine has gone up 4X due to teen and totaling out a car... (me, not the teen)....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:23 PM   #19

It's a insurance company. They are getting information on you and your driving habits. I wonder when it will be required by the insurance companies in order to get and keep insurance.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
It's a insurance company. They are getting information on you and your driving habits. I wonder when it will be required by the insurance companies in order to get and keep insurance.
I hope not in my lifetime. Imagine if they could make everyone do this then sell the info to the government to use as a basis for paying road tax on an individual basis.

This could be a new tax...... in addition to fuel tax (which is supposed to go for road repair and maintenance).

Tags
in drive state farm