Join Early Retirement Today

In Fairborn there is no ice...
Old 09-16-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
In Fairborn there is no ice...

And I've checked twice and thrice.

Good morning, all. I have an hour on the computer at the Fairborn library; they were closed yesterday. The library has Firefox 3.

The power has been out at my house since 3PM Sunday. I have (hot) water and gas and phone. Am throwing out all the food in the fridge; the raccoons are very happy.

There are trees 3 and 4 foot in diameter down all over the place; two within 100 feet of my house. Fortunately, they fell towards the east.

70 and 80 mph gusts, sustained 40.

There must be thousands of trees and limbs down in the area; there's hardly a block without damage. Shingles and siding all over the place.

The repair crews were mostly in TX on Sunday, they are on their way back; should be here by Sunday PM.

My house is in a block that's out and we're low priority. I can look out the back window and see lights, it's very frustrating.

My siding and shingles are mainly intact; one section will have to be reattached at the bottom (vinyl).

Sunday evening there was a reverse 911 call, telling people not to use water, as the electricity to the pumping station was out; it was back 2 hours later.

Most traffic lights are working.

This morning I used the stove for my cup of tea.

Next stop is the grocery store: "Quest For Ice" the movie.
In a world where hurricanes devastate Ohio...

Local news:
Dayton Daily News | Dayton, Ohio, News and Information
WHIOTV.com - Home
WDTN Dayton Ohio Weather and News |Home

fairborn herald?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Ya know, if Ohio isn't safe from a hurricane, where the heck is? You folks heading from the Gulf Coast to Missouri better give it some thought...
Old 09-16-2008, 08:33 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You folks heading from the Gulf Coast to Missouri better give it some thought...
Better be careful.....they may heed your voice......and move to TX instead! Then you'd only have yourself to blame.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Hope you get your power back soon. I was wondering this morning where you were. I had no idea that the weather got that bad that far north.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Better be careful.....they may heed your voice......and move to TX instead! Then you'd only have yourself to blame.
Eh, not a problem. I understand vacant lots are abundant on Galveston and High Islands at the moment.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #6

Just to the east of you in Dublin Ohio. We fared at bit better, I think, same wind, maybe a little less (great time to own a big roofing company). We were at one of the G/Kids football games and watched shingles going on several roofs around the school field. Also the grandstand we were sitting was starting to get a little jumpy (did not want to be the last person out of the stands). DD and her family lost power but only for about 12 hours - all fine by 5 am Monday. We ourselves did not lose power but it was out all over the place. Went to the Kroger grocery store yesterday and it was closed (no power). This morning we went to the same store and power was back but the shelves were in the process of being re-stocked (refrigerated stuff). In the parking lot the power company had taken over half of it and had a dispatch headquarters set up. Lots of bucket trucks from all over (not local provider) being dispatched along with some tree grinding trucks. Thankfully, we got very little rain with the wind or, with all of the power outages there would have been a rash of basements flooded. We spent 19 years in NE Florida before coming to OH and for a couple of hours Sunday it seemed a lot like Florida again.

Kahn: Hope you can get back to normal soon - and thanks for the information. I was thinking of heading to WPAFB this week but after what you have said I think I will wait until next week or so.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ya know, if Ohio isn't safe from a hurricane, where the heck is? You folks heading from the Gulf Coast to Missouri better give it some thought...
No place is entirely safe. It's just a matter of degree.

Khan, I am sorry to hear that your power is out!! Glad you were able to get online at the library. The squirrels and raccoons are going to love you even more now that they have all your refrigerator contents to munch on.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Khan, so glad to hear you're OK. sounds like you got the brunt of it.

and then we got it next. 4 major counties in upstate NY still without power. it's coming back online slowly.

it was freaky - 4 AM, 75 degrees, full moon illuminating the winds bending trees over, 50 mph avg wind speed.

no major problems here at home. i lost 40' of a wooden stockade fence. but that's in the noise compared to just north of me.

FB
Old 09-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #9

sure hope that pretty tree of yours made it, as well as the white squirrel. for future reference, during summer (storm season) i always keep frozen two 2 & 1/2 gal containers of drinking water. they'll keep food cold for a good while if you lose electric and when they melt you then can drink the water if you lose that too.

ps. just recalled while replacing bird bath water. if you have water but no electric or fuel source. i have about 100 ft of black hose (any hose will do, but i got black for this purpose). fill with water and sit in sun for a short while. instant solar outdoor hot shower.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Hope things get fixed up for you quickly Khan.

In the meanwhile, keep an eye out for varmints that may have been sucked up by the hurricane in TX and blown to OH. Rattlesnakes might be a bit hefty but I can see how a bunch of chiggers or scorpions might have made the trip.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Rattlesnakes might be a bit hefty but I can see how a bunch of chiggers or scorpions might have made the trip.
Yep, they travel well. Just ask Martha.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I am afraid that they are still alive and multiplying behind my garage.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I'm assuming you're referring to scorpions, not Republicans.

(I know, what's the difference...)
Old 09-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

I hope you get your power back soon . My daughter who lives in upstate New York lost four trees but lukily nothing else and they do have power. That was one scarey storm.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I'd imagine they'd be happier in your attic...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #16

Since moving to NW OH from FL after the 2004 hurricanes, we have had two major floods, one earthquake (originated in IN?), a tornado within 5 miles, and the remains of hurricane Ike.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:38 AM   #17

After an ice storm left us w/o power for four days I bought a Honda 4,500 watt quiet generator. It's enough to power a gas furnace, TV, computer, refrigerator, and a few light bulbs. Living with a woman who can't have her morning coffee and hair dryer can be frustrating.

DW said I was spending too much but the first day I had the transfer switch wired in and she got home from work after dark I asked if she noticed anything, and she said she hadn't. "Well, did you notice that this is the only house on the block with lights?"

Naturally, we haven't needed the generator since moving to WV. I know the day after I sell it though, we'll need it.

We got lucky this time, the hurricane kind of moved around us.

Khan, glad to hear of not much damage to your place.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:55 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Generators are great if you have the gas to run them. Gas stations require electricity (or their own generator) for their pumps to function. Of course in a major disaster the few gas stations that do have generators can run out of gas immediately, pumping gas for emergency responders before residents are allowed to return. So, gas availability can be problematic.

Individuals who had generators here in New Orleans for the most part found them to be useless after Katrina, according to the news media and according to the anecdotal reports I heard from those I know. As electricity becomes more commonly available, eventually they can be used (but then may not be necessary).

I would imagine that they were of some use in New Orleans after Gustav, when our outages were large but brief, overall damage was minimal, and the commercial corridors got power almost immediately. But after Gustav, I had no desire to return until we had sewage/flushing capabilities and that requires power at the lift stations, as well. I had power at my house the day after the storm, several days before they had it at the lift stations.

Frank plans to get a generator when we move to Missouri, for the ice storms. Like you, Walt, he wants to be prepared! It is probably an excellent idea to have a generator for that sort of event, and I heard that during last year's ice storms in Springfield they were very helpful.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:31 AM   #19

Residential power backup can get complicated. I spent quite a bit of time reading up on it. Gasoline power works for a few days if you've stored enough and put fuel stabilizer in it (gasoline begins to deteriorate after 30 days) and have a safe place to store it. Diesel stores longer but still needs to be replaced after about a year. So if you don't have a diesel vehicle to burn it in you'll have to give it to someone who does. Propane is better, stores indefinitely but costs more, and natural gas is maybe best if it's available.

If the generator is not weatherproof, is there a sheltered place to run it where the carbon monoxide won't get into the house? A permanent installation will set you back near five figures installed, more if you want to run a central A/C. Watch for the sound level rating in ads, if they don't advertise what the sound level is, maybe you don't want that generator. Think about a diesel truck running outside your bedroom window overnight. Or the neighbor's - you don't want them coming after you with pitchforks and torches.

Most construction-site type generators are not suitable for home backup - they are too noisy and the uneven sine wave is okay for drills and power saws, but can damage electronic stuff, and even most refrigerators have electronics in them now.

A transfer switch isolates your home from the power grid, and prevents you from feeding power back to the power lines and killing a lineman or having your generator fight the power company for phase control when the power comes back on. Think fire and explosion when that happens.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:31 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I live just north of Dayton Ohio and what a ride! I want absolutely nothing to do with a real hurricane!!!! We finally got the power back late last night.

The huge trees that are down is a truely sad sight. Did see my kids trampoline with net and 66 lbs of free weights to keep it stable do a complete 360 in the air. Luckily it hit a tree and not the neighbors or our house.
StJohnsWood is offline   Reply With Quote