Join Early Retirement Today

"In June"
Old 11-06-2005, 06:17 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"In June"

Just need a reality (or fantasy?) check. My wife will be retiring in June 06. (My retirement date is uncertain but probably in the next couple years.) Years ago when we saw something we wanted to do but did not have the time/money for we would say we would do that “someday”. But things have shifted a bit in view of her approaching retirement. Now we see something and tell each other we’ll do that “in June”. Its a neat little joke between us and a bit of a mental shift, maybe like when first getting married. So far “in June” we will be: cleaning out the garage, other home improvements, taking dance classes, learning Spanish, and learning to sail. This is aside from trips to visit the grand child, her Mom, other relatives and travel to Alaska....to.... Zanzibar, specifically including Canada, the UK, Paris, Italy, most of the South pacific, South America and Asia.

So far it has been a nice joke and a good mental excercise.Now I wonder if having 800 things to do will be overwhelming even though its obvious that if we were to do two of the planned thing in June, it would be a lot. Its just that that vague “someday” now has a face and a date on it, or is that a fantasy? Is this a good way to mentally transition to retirement?
I don’t know if this all makes any sense but I’m looking for any comments or insights from this wonderful board.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: "In June"
Old 11-06-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Now I wonder if having 800 things to do will be overwhelming even though its obvious that if we were to do two of the planned thing in June, it would be a lot. Its just that that vague “someday” now has a face and a date on it, or is that a fantasy? Is this a good way to mentally transition to retirement?
Based on my recent experience (retired 5 months ago), what you are doing is not uncommon. You might try to get your arms around all those "to do" items by putting them all down on paper. This will help you prioritize and decide what you want to do first. Recommend you start with something a little outside the box (dance lessons?) and go from there. You will likely find that some of the items never move up in priority to the top of the list as they are superceded by other plans, projects and ideas you haven't yet discovered.

Relax, retire, enjoy...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:56 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do what you do with buying something. I write it down and wait a period of time. If I still want it after the waiting period I buy it - if I can afford it.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:00 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired at the end of August, and I had a "to do" list. *Most of it is accomplished - painted the front of the house (wanted to get bare stucco from termite work taken care of before the rain started), new tires on both cars, sold 11 motorcycles (trimming back on the excess projects - 6 more still on the sales list), took a week trip to Oregon to see some friends - and even an unexpected "let's spend 40 hours moving the dead storage items from one warehouse space into another one". *I also squeezed in some declutterification at the house, and some goofing off, reading, museum visits, movies, etc.

Now we can start planning for a lengthy trip to Australia that had been waiting for when neither of us had work to interfere with the trip.

Retirement sure opens up a lot of previously closed doors.

cheers,
Michael
Old 11-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't let my DW see your list. I'm already up to my neck in projects. Clean out the garage which will require a dumster (I'm serious). She wants me to put wooden planks on the ceiling of the kitchen followed with deep dental moulding all around. I'm to paint all interior rooms and woodwork (hasn't been done since the house was built in '86. I also get to do yardwork, wash cars etc. And I'm sure there will be other opportunities as well.

Professor
Old 11-06-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Is it just me or do others think these two posts are a bit ... incongruous? : Professor, are you sure you're ready for "retirement"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
Guys--I'm not retired yet. But you can bet I'm counting the nanoseconds!!!!!!!!!!! August or December of '06 and it will be mistletoe on my coat tale!!!!!!!!

Professor

Quote:
Don't let my DW see your list. I'm already up to my neck in projects. Clean out the garage which will require a dumster (I'm serious). She wants me to put wooden planks on the ceiling of the kitchen followed with deep dental moulding all around. I'm to paint all interior rooms and woodwork (hasn't been done since the house was built in '86. I also get to do yardwork, wash cars etc. And I'm sure there will be other opportunities as well.

Professor

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:45 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't see it at all. And since it's my post, I get to make the rules!!!!!

There is a big difference between wanting to do something and having to do something. I want to please my DW and if she wants me to "work like a dog" I'll do it. Besides, if I don't do it, I will definitely be "in the doghouse" !!!!!

Old 11-07-2005, 09:50 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Besides, if I don't do it, I will definitely be "in the doghouse" !!!!!

She probably won't cuddle with you either.

--Greg