Join Early Retirement Today

In search of... The Perfect Snow Shovel
Old 12-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #1

In search of... The Perfect Snow Shovel

Winter is here, and for those of us living in areas where snow falls it either has already fallen or it will soon. While snow can create a beautiful scene, it can also be a royal PITA to remove from places where it is inconvenient to dangerous. And in spite of the huge number of machines available to do the heavy lifting there are places where they won't fit, or compound the problem by moving snow to even worse places, and one has to resort to the centuries-old solution of a shovel.

So what is your favorite solution? We only have two, one is a well-used snow shovel that my mother bought for me as a housewarming gift when I moved into my new-to-me house in January 1986. It is understatement to say that Mom was pragmatic and I suspect a lot of that rubbed off on me. But that one has definitely seen it's better days and it won't stand much more hard use. The other is one I bought on impulse at Sears about 15 years or so ago, with a fiberglass pole and handle and an aluminum teflon-coated shovel. It works great and I wish I'd bought two or three when I had the chance. While still serviceable it too has seen it's best days.

Looking through some options at the big-box stores I see lots and lots and lots of options. One handle, two handles, straight handles, curved handles, bent handles, plastic shovels, aluminum shovels, steel shovels, spring-loaded shovels, what's a guy to do in picking out The Perfect Shovel?

Here are the choices at Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors...s/N-5yc1vZbx86

Here are the offerings at Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pl/Snow-shovel...ors/4294414338

So what is your favorite, where did you find it, and if you remember, about what did it cost?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

My perfect snow shovel is no longer a shovel:

arian2.jpg

hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:32 PM   #3

Yes, I have one of those too, but it is a bit awkward on the front porch and stairs.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

What's a "snow shovel"?

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Dakota Sno Blade

Magic for those pesky 1-2 inch snows.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have found the curved handle shovel to be a real back saver and would buy it again. Sorry but it’s been a few years so I can’t answer the other questions.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:59 PM   #7
Administrator

We've had the curved "backsaver" design for many years now, and I find it to be quite good for shoveling the driveway and walks. If the snow is wet, you can spray it with cooking oil spray (Pam) to keep the snow from sticking. If it is really cold and the snow is dry and light (and not too deep) I sometimes use the leaf blower on it.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:07 PM   #8

The perfect shovel is the 15 year old down the street
Old 12-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Snow Joe Shovelution Snow Shovel with Spring Assist Handle

Got this from QVC and it works great, saves my back!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 9.10.07 PM.png (173.8 KB, 45 views)
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
So what is your favorite, where did you find it, and if you remember, about what did it cost?
Gosh, I don't know. I have not seen or laid eyes on a snow shovel for 53 years (and I have never seen a snow thrower or snow blower or whatever-you-call-it).

I used to mow the lawn, but stopped doing that at around age 55 or so. I love having a lawn guy and to me it's worth the money.

--- Admiral David Farragut during the battle of Mobile Bay, paraphrased
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:27 PM   #11

It's a highly personal thing. I like deeper, larger volume shovel. The one above looks a little flat to me. I've never been able to use the "back saver" designs with the bent handle, or extra handle. And yes, I have some back problems.

I need to be able to not only move the snow, but throw it far enough away that I won't have to move it again. Especially places like a deck, where it has to go over the railing. Flatter shovels, or the back-saver designs, make those things difficult.

Worst idea, IMHO, is the "pusher" shovel that is supposed to be used like a mini snow plow. That's fine for the first snow, if it's not too deep. But once you've made piles at the edge of the driveway or walkway, where are you going to put it the next time?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:53 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Worst idea, IMHO, is the "pusher" shovel that is supposed to be used like a mini snow plow. That's fine for the first snow, if it's not too deep. But once you've made piles at the edge of the driveway or walkway, where are you going to put it the next time?

+1. I have a “pusher” shovel and I only use it to clean up where my atv and plow miss. It would be impossible for the ‘pusher’ to shovel significant snow. But it’s good for this light clean up because I very seldom have to lift the shovel. I also use it if I decide to shovel the front sidewalk. But I never shovel the sidewalks after Christmas anyway. Only plow the driveway. Anyone coming over after that can come in through the garage. With any kind of luck I can go the whole winter without plowing or shoveling.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:02 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
It's a highly personal thing. I like deeper, larger volume shovel. The one above looks a little flat to me. I've never been able to use the "back saver" designs with the bent handle, or extra handle. And yes, I have some back problems.

I need to be able to not only move the snow, but throw it far enough away that I won't have to move it again. Especially places like a deck, where it has to go over the railing. Flatter shovels, or the back-saver designs, make those things difficult.

Right, in most snow places, you are going to have to lift it at the end. Pushing is good in light snow, but there is a limit.

My old shovels are nothing special, and are staring to wear out, so I should do some research, and watch this thread, and buy a couple new ones. For the walks only, and occasional clean up of drift or light snow. We have a plow guy for the rest.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:05 PM   #14

The "S" shaped curvy shovels have not only saved many a back injury but I suspect saved a number of heart attacks over the years. Mine is the main snow snow shovel for light and heavy storms. And it's just as good in "push" mode as it is "chunk-and-throw" shovel mode.

I also have one of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Garant-2...SS24/205680983

Unless you're built like George Foreman or Hoss Cartwright I wouldn't recommend it. You might say it's "too good." Huge maw! Lots of snow! If the snow is the heavy wet kind ...? Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent.

I also have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Much better. Works good on small and large snowfalls. It sort of glides like a toboggan and you can modulate how much snow you want to gulp by just tilting it back a little. Much easier than the blue one above. The one drawback is, it's design might be difficult for a tall person to use. I'm 5'10" and just adapt my posture to the low angle handle.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:21 PM   #15

I have two shovels. One is the old metal blade type that I use for scraping and pushing light amounts of snow. The blade is more heavy than the snow but it scraps the cement nicely. My work horse is a surprise. It’s a basic plastic shovel. Whatever it’s made of, snow doesn’t stick to it so I can get a rhythm going and move the snow. Since it doesn’t have a metal edge, it wears down quickly. I tried the plastic one with the metal edge and it just doesn’t work. The metal just never seems to glide over the concrete so it digs in and makes me stumble and breaks my rhythm. The plastic one grinds down on the angle that matches my stroke.

The steel one is like this but only 18”. Doesn’t look like they sell the 18” any longer.

https://www.garant.com/tools/s/winte...steel-blade-2/

This is the plastic one I like.

https://www.garant.com/tools/s/winte...-poly-blade-3/

Of course, I have a snow blower to do the heavy work, but for a light snow, I’ll get out with a shovel and get some exercise.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #16

We get a bit of snow here in Syracuse.
I have a flat plastic shovel with a straight handle. Use it to shovel the doorways and mailbox access. access
Don't go for the huge volume, deep shovel as that's where heart attacks come from. Exhale while lifting.
MTD electric start 8 hp snowblower for the driveway.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:07 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What's a "snow shovel"?
I'm not even sure what "snow" is....??
Old 12-04-2018, 09:24 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I gave my wife a snow shovel for Christmas a couple years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shovel_tree_sm.jpg (50.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-04-2018, 09:29 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
I'll bet that went over well for you!
Old 12-04-2018, 09:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
Living the life of danger!

GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote