Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My grandfather and my biological father both worked until 82 and both were forced out of working (one with Cancer and the other the Recession in the '80's did him in). I agree that FIRE means doing whatever makes you happy, and, if that's continuing to work, so be it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have finally found something that I love doing....but at 89 the only thing I will be doing is hanging out on my hammock sipping some crystal light and watching the cabana boy clean the pool

Old 06-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The past year has pretty much tanked retirement for me. Forget ER.

Fortunately, I do enjoy my work--when it is on a reasonably professional level.

It is OK to like what you do. Consider all the people who don't and have to work anyway. Many here have been in, or are in, that situation.

Consider the alternative. When Mozart, Elvis and Michael Jackson (or will be) were my age, they were dead.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
This is very similar to the small talk I get from my gym friends . It is just the right amount of interaction that I need . That was the thing that I missed about going to work the little chats so this fills the need .
One of the things I desperately wanted to get away from was 'small talk'. I am not good at it.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Another silly question from someone that clearly hasnīt got into the forumīs lingo: this thing of spelling j*b, w*rk, etc.... is it some kind of joke, mandatory rule or what?
Not silly.
With the usual vulgar 4 letter words, we use asterisks or @ signs.
W*rk is a vulgar 4 letter word.
The asterisk use extends out to...
J*b
C*reer
etc
etc
Old 06-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
A salesman for my old company is 84 and still at it. He has plenty of money but just one problem. His wife has mental problems and he just can't deal with it on a full time basis. He pays for someone to sit with her during the day. So he works which gives him a chance to be around other people.
I heard a similar story about a guy who did electrical w*rk where I used to be. He is a super nice person. His best buddy, still w*rking, told me this...The guy finally got to retire, and his spouse is even more on the thin edge of sanity, literally, than she ever was. She is now refusing to take her bipolar Rx because he is there to take care of her now.
I have no idea what he is doing, but his choices seem pretty clear at this point.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
his choices seem pretty clear at this point.

Look limited to me, w*rk, OD or 45.

Kidding, kidding...
Old 06-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #28

To each his or her own. I hope that people in their 80's who are still w*rking are doing it because they enjoy it. I am looking forward to marching to my own drummer long before I am an octogenarian.