Join Early Retirement Today

In their 80s, and still putting in the hours
Old 06-27-2009, 06:16 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In their 80s, and still putting in the hours

I guess this is the opposite of FIRE....

They're in their 80s, and still putting in the hours | Business | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I can't relate to the sentiment, but as long as they're still at it because they enjoy it and want to be there, and not because it's the only way to keep the food on the table and the homes cooled in the summer, then more power to them. It must be nice to have a j*b you actually look forward to each day. It would also alleviate concerns about SS, pensions and retirement portfolio performance anxiety...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
retirement portfolio performance anxiety...
I wonder if there's a little blue pill for that one....
Old 06-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My dad is 78, and trust me - he's working because he has to. They just had to file Chapter 13 to escape the horrible credit debt they had racked up. Lots of bad choices over the years. And yet he still has to work to pay off the BK trustee and creditors and meet his budget. One car, living in a mobile home. Two pensions.

He has been an object lesson for me.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I think it is awful if someone over 60, much less over 80, wants to retire but can't. There are several at work in that position and it is pitiful.

There are some people who love going to work in their 80's. Most that I have known with that attitude are doctors and lawyers, who run their own practices and don't really do much of any actual work at the office any more. They get to the office around 9-10 AM, read the Wall Street Journal, have a long lunch with some friends, maybe do a little real estate wheeling and dealing, and then go home early. I suspect that it's not so much working, as just getting away from the spouse for a while for both partners' sanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the Houston Chronicle link above
Continuing to work, Kennedy said, supports three pillars of healthy aging: being socially engaged, intellectually stimulated and physically active.
I can hardly wait to retire so that I am no longer chained to a cubicle and can become more physically active. Also I can take classes and so on to become more intellectually stimulated. Anyone who thinks that my job provides physical activity and intellectual stimulation is a moronic slug to begin with. And IMO, anyone who goes to work because they love the social aspects needs to have their head examined, but that is just IMO.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I can't relate to the sentiment, but as long as they're still at it because they enjoy it and want to be there, and not because it's the only way to keep the food on the table and the homes cooled in the summer, then more power to them. It must be nice to have a j*b you actually look forward to each day. It would also alleviate concerns about SS, pensions and retirement portfolio performance anxiety...
Agree.
If you are doing something you love - is it work? I don't think so.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Work while a necessary evil for awhile is a four letter word in the end.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #8

[quote=Want2retire;830294]I
There are some people who love going to work in their 80's. Most that I have known with that attitude are doctors and lawyers, who run their own practices and don't really do much of any actual work at the office any more. They get to the office around 9-10 AM, read the Wall Street Journal, have a long lunch with some friends, maybe do a little real estate wheeling and dealing, and then go home early. I suspect that it's not so much working, as just getting away from the spouse for a while for both partners' sanity.

quote]I totally agree with you and even go further- Those guys, what they do is counsel or advise. If they really have to get down to it, they refer the job.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Living in Florida I see a lot of very elderly workers especially at Beal's department store . It is kind of amusing because they just chat with every customer about their purchase and take forever to ring you up . I think for a lot of them they like the social aspect and the little money it brings in . There is one older cashier at the grocery store who is always giving me recipes and shopping hints . Occasionally I'll see a bitter older worker but they are in the minority the rest seem to be enjoying their jobs. A good friend of mine who was 69 and very wealthy took a job at a beauty salon as the phone person just to get out of the house and around people . Retirement is great but if you are alone it can be very isolating so I give these women and men kudos for handling that problem .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Living in Florida I see a lot of very elderly workers especially at Beal's department store . It is kind of amusing because they just chat with every customer about their purchase and take forever to ring you up . I think for a lot of them they like the social aspect and the little money it brings in . There is one older cashier at the grocery store who is always giving me recipes and shopping hints . Occasionally I'll see a bitter older worker but they are in the minority the rest seem to be enjoying their jobs. A good friend of mine who was 69 and very wealthy took a job at a beauty salon as the phone person just to get out of the house and around people . Retirement is great but if you are alone it can be very isolating so I give these women and men kudos for handling that problem .
But why canīt they socialize wirh other retired people? Could it be that doing that makes them feel older or simply that they donīt want to "talk shop" with their kind?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
I totally agree with you and even go further- Those guys, what they do is counsel or advise. If they really have to get down to it, they refer the job.
Yes, exactly!! That is the type of "work" I am talking about. It does not seem too stressful.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But why canīt they socialize wirh other retired people? Could it be that doing that makes them feel older or simply that they donīt want to "talk shop" with their kind?
Yes, I've been going to a swimming pool/sauna where people are very sociable and not all of them are oldish (like me) or retired. Some of them are delightfully fit as well while some are very out of shape which makes me comfortable as I fall somewhere in between. The kind of small talk interactions are very similar to the recurring chats I had with co-w*rkers.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #13

Another silly question from someone that clearly hasnīt got into the forumīs lingo: this thing of spelling j*b, w*rk, etc.... is it some kind of joke, mandatory rule or what?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Another silly question from someone that clearly hasnīt got into the forumīs lingo: this thing of spelling j*b, w*rk, etc.... is it some kind of joke, mandatory rule or what?
Since I no longer have a job or work, it is no longer a dirty word to me. But it is sort of a convention here to indicate preference for the retired life over slaving away on a j*b. But Vincente, another saying here is "hey, you are retired, you can do whatever you want." To spell it out or not, that is your choice.

edit: here's another one, I'll add, IMO
Old 06-27-2009, 12:01 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

But they are socializing with retired people while they do a little work . They all seem happy with it .
Old 06-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Yes, I've been going to a swimming pool/sauna where people are very sociable and not all of them are oldish (like me) or retired. Some of them are delightfully fit as well while some are very out of shape which makes me comfortable as I fall somewhere in between. The kind of small talk interactions are very similar to the recurring chats I had with co-w*rkers.

This is very similar to the small talk I get from my gym friends . It is just the right amount of interaction that I need . That was the thing that I missed about going to work the little chats so this fills the need .
Old 06-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
This is very similar to the small talk I get from my gym friends . It is just the right amount of interaction that I need . That was the thing that I missed about going to work the little chats so this fills the need .
A funny thing happened when I had some personal business to do at a company that has half the floors in a high rise. When I pushed the elevator button to go from one floor to another within that company, people chatted me up as if I were a fellow empl*yee; I just played along. Who knew?
Old 06-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

A salesman for my old company is 84 and still at it. He has plenty of money but just one problem. His wife has mental problems and he just can't deal with it on a full time basis. He pays for someone to sit with her during the day. So he works which gives him a chance to be around other people.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

There are some people who love going to work in their 80's. Most that I have known with that attitude are doctors and lawyers, who run their own practices
FIRE, to me, means having the means to do what you want. If you want to be a doctor or lawyer, go for it.

One of my uncles practised law until his mid 90's. He had lots of money, no hobbies/interests outside of law and was doing what he wanted to to. While I can't really agree, I can't argue.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

“It used to be that retirement was something that everyone universally looked forward to,” said Dr. Gary Kennedy, director of geriatric psychiatry at Montefiore Medical Center in New York. “Now I think most people are starting to think twice about whether they want to retire at 55, 65, 75” — or later."

I don't think so pal.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.