In this 24/7 world.

Outtahere

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Shouldn't the stock market be open? I can buy anything I want 24/7 but yet the stock market is closed for Good Friday? And Saturdays, Sundays and holidays? Shouldn't this go the way of all the old blue laws (as we call them here in MA). Sorry I'm just rambling but I know tomorrow, Easter Sunday, I'll be able go to Walmart and buy something I don't need but if I want to buy more of a mutual fund, sure I can place the order but it will be Monday before someone acts on it. So either Walmart should close weekends and holidays or the stock market should be open.

I need another glass of wine :)

Outtahere said:
Shouldn't the stock market be open? I can buy anything I want 24/7 but yet the stock market is closed for Good Friday?

Maybe the problem is not that the stock market is closed nights and holidays, but rather than Wal-mart et al are open.

You've heard about e-trade's global trading platform, haven't you? Real-time trading in 42 international markets.

press release

Outtahere said:
Sorry I'm just rambling but I know tomorrow, Easter Sunday, I'll be able go to Walmart and buy something I don't need ...

You sure about that? DW just returned home and said the local Walmart was closed for Easter.

Maybe the average Wall street floor trader gets paid a little more than the minimum wage walmart employees? :D

Walmart was open in my area, after 12 from what I understand along with most of the other retail and grocery stores. I just think it's strange when everything else is 24/7 that there are some things that still hold to the M - F and closed on holidays. I suppose it's all in what the consumer wants, there must not be enough demand.

Same with banks. Given the large number of banks competing for business I'm always surprised that one of them hasn't stepped out with 7am to 9pm hours to distinguish itself. Around here a thinking-outside-of-the-box bank stays open an extra hour for convenience. Granted ATMs and online banking make a lot of the services more accessible, but I'm still surprised the industry has stayed in lockstep. Same thing with bank holidays. You finally get a day when your customers are off and have banking needs and you close? I'd bet they could increase their market share of loans if they were open that day.

A local bank (Central Carolina Bank maybe - I believe recently acquired by Suntrust) had branches in grocery stores. These branches typically had extended hours (open till 8 pm or so weekdays, and 8-5 on Saturdays).

Problem with an extended trading day is that the market thins out, since there aren't as many people wanting to buy and sell at any given time. So you wouldn't get pricing execution as good as you otherwise might.

Back
Top Bottom